Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chrysler Identification numbers (1932)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nrh_Sportster, Jul 20, 2018.

1. nrh_Sportster

nrh_Sportster
    from Katy, TX

I was wondering if anyone had a picture of what the factory original body serial numbers tag looks like for a 1932 Chrysler? I removed the layers of paint on the tag that is on the passenger side door frame opening. It looks like a very generic tag it just says "Serial Number" and has the 7 digit number stamped in it. From my research this number matches what I've been told the car is: 1932 Chrysler CI-6 Coupe (with rumble seat).

Besides the engine (do not have the original) are there any other spots to look for identification numbers on Chrysler's? Does the Frame have any markings?

Thanks!

2. Yep. That number on the passenger side "A" pillar is the serial number for the car. It was VERY common to register the cars by the engine numbers and not the serial numbers in those days. It was also common to register the car as the year sold, even thought it was next year's or last year's model. The engine number is on the (USA) driver's side of the engine block just below the cylinder head and above the generator. The engine number will also be on the outside of the driver's side of the frame either in the center under the doors or just where the frame kicks up over the rear axle near the front spring mount of the rear axle. The serial number tag is correct if it looks like this. serial number.jpg and on the frame.... Picture 9096.jpg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    nrh_Sportster likes this.
  3. The numbers on the frame are VERY shallow and will probably be discovered with a wire brush. Don't brush too deeply to find them.

4. We would LOVE to see some photos of your Chrysler.

5. nrh_Sportster

nrh_Sportster
    from Katy, TX

Thanks @31Dodger ! That looks exactly like the serial tag on mine. Glad to know that it is an original/factory tag.

For the number on the side of the frame, would I be able to see those with the running boards on the car?

Thanks!

6. nrh_Sportster

nrh_Sportster
    from Katy, TX

I started a thread back when I first join this site, it got deleted. Actually, you were the one that answered a question I had about the roof opening on the Chrysler/Dodge bodies. Not sure why it was removed...

Here are some photos of it, haven't done anything to it yet. It has been sitting for the past 15-20, it was built back in the late 80's to early 90's. My first priority is getting the Title and Registration done, then doing the basics to get it road safe again: brakes, tune up, new wheels and tires (thinking black smoothies). At some point I would like to have the body redone, it has some rust damage, missing a window (drivers side), and install some kind of top (thinking sliding rag top), the main thing will be a color change!

Attached Files:

7. squirrel

squirrel

neat car. It might have got deleted because the car is not really a traditional build...although if you like the looks of traditional cars, and have plans to make a few changes, it could fit in here pretty easily. Mainly, change the wheels/tires and "undress" the engine. It has that cheesy 1980s street rod look to it, now. We more dig cars with that 1950s/60s look to them.

8. nrh_Sportster

nrh_Sportster
    from Katy, TX

I for sure like the 50-60s look much better, that is my plan for the direction for this. And I agree it currently reeks of that 80's cheese.

I do have a question about tires & wheels. What would be a typical size for a full fender car for a tradition 50/60 build? I plan on getting some black steelies with a small chrome cap.

9. squirrel

squirrel

probably 6.00 or 6.50 by 15 or 16 front, and around 8.20 or so rear

10. I think you will be able to see the numbers over the front spring mount on the driver's side rear spring, but you probably will have a very hard time seeing the numbers under the running board splash apron. There isn't much room to look between that and the frame. Thanks for the photos.

11. nrh_Sportster

nrh_Sportster
    from Katy, TX

I have another question about the serial number: Is there any way to verify what the car's original body color would have been? Can that be looked up by the serial number anywhere?

Thanks

12. post-37352-143142793826.jpg A while ago we were able to go to the Walter P. Chrysler Museum for a copy of the build sheet for your car. You could send proof of ownership to them and they would supply the card for about $45.00. They have since closed the museum. Not sure if they will continue to help with our historical documents. The build card would show colors, wheel types, tire manufacturer and a few other important pieces of data. Looks kinda like this one for one of my 1931 Dodges....

13. nrh_Sportster

nrh_Sportster
    from Katy, TX

I was able to get a hold of someone at FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automobiles). They will be sending me a copy of the build card for my car. They were very clear and upfront that they can no longer help with the decoding service of the build cards and can not provided any other copies of historical material like they use to do in the past.

I am thankful that I can get a copy of the build card. I was told it will take 3-4 weeks for it to show up. Are there any online references for 1932 Chrysler paint codes? I would like to know what color it was originally.

Thanks again for all the help and inf.

31Dodger likes this.
  14. Try here for the paint code. I can probably help with deciphering the build card.
    http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1932-Chrysler-pg01.jpg

15. nrh_Sportster

nrh_Sportster
    from Katy, TX

@31Dodger

I was able to get a copy of the build card. So far I have not made any progress in deciphering the build card. I was looking at a couple other websites trying to figure out the color mainly.

Any insight or understanding of the build would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  16. Mmmm....turns out I am not that good at deciphering these Chrysler items. I am used to the Dodge Brothers items. Similar, but different. I will send it to someone who may be able to help.