Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Experienced HVLP Turbine Sprayers [help]

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by d3r, Jul 19, 2018.

1. d3r

d3r

I have a FujiSpray Platinum 5 Turbine.
    T series gravity feed gun.
    Using Eastwood Single stage paint.
    Slow activator, Slow reducer.
    Reducing 10% (as recommended by the paint specs)
    have sprayed in dif weather (from 70 to 80degrees) having the same results.

I can NOT get this paint to lay down...tons of orange peel. Looking for an experienced turbine sprayer to give me some direction. I have the air wide open. and have experimented with fluid control and distance. None of which giving me results im OK with.

how do YOU GUYS get it to lay down with out runs?
    Thanks in advance.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. carguy699

carguy699

I have had the same problem. the turbine heats the paint and it will not flow unless you use the SLOWEST reducer available and don't paint on a hot day. my primary issue was the clearcoat which required a BUNCH of cut and buff!

3. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

It helps to buy and add another section of hose before the gun. This allows the air to cool before it gets to the gun. The hot air is causing most/all of your problems.

4. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

try reducing the paint more

j hansen likes this.

5. d3r

d3r

Is that what it is? The hot air? I wasn't sure if it was the temp or the lack of pressure causing my issues. but I have seen quite a few people saying they can get paint to lay out smooth with a turbine.. even lesser than my own.. people sayin they can lay down glass with 2 or 3 stage turbine.. mine being a 5stage.. I didn't think id have so many issues.
    ive resorted to just slapping 5coats of paint on so I can wetsand all the orange peel without burning through LOL...its no way to live.

I read somewhere of people coiling the hose up in a bucked of ice water... seems like a lot of work for a small temperature change, also read putting ice packs near the intake will help. I will try these next time I spray.

That was my thought too.. I seen people saying they reduce up to 50%...which seems crazy to me... but I think I may try to reduce it 15-20%

what about technique? fan wide open? close/far? go speedy across the panel/go sluggish? fluid wide open/medium/barely open?

6. I would do an over reduction on a test panel and see how it flows. 20-30% as a starting point. It should make a difference.

j hansen likes this.
  7. d3r

d3r

reducing that much freaks me out... I guess I can give it a try though... I cant keep having this much orange peel everytime I spray.

8. putz

putz
    from wisc.

i also had same trouble , additional reducer did the trick for me ... good luck .

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I sprayed acrylic urethane that was mixed 4-1-1 and I doubled my reducer.

Doing that I had no problems having it flow.

I did paint during some pretty hot weather last summer and used a 2’ section of really flexible bellows style hose just before my gun.

That’s along with a 25’ hose.
    I used a 6 stage turbine and a Fuji T75 gun with the 3M PPS system.

I should probably say as a final note that this was my first go at painting and that this along with building my own paint booth in my garage is the extent of my “experience “

More pictures and details of the equipment I used are in my Painting at home and in the driveway thread.

D57026FB-AF8B-44CE-B29D-22F925035026.jpeg 24708721-0D7F-4E8F-BE49-BC543A50CAB5.jpeg 19303E72-71EF-4DE6-A509-1AACE06F3544.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Nailhead Jason, putz and Hnstray like this.
  10. d3r

d3r

^I was hoping you would reply! I was going to message you directly after sifting through the turbine threads here, your name came up a lot haha. I will check out the thread after this.
    I have a 25' hose with a 6' "whip hose"
    and im using almost the same set up as you... 5stage not 6.. but same gun, with pps system aswell.

but like several of you guys said I will try the additional reducer, if its still bad ill try more reducer and cooling the air.

appreciate you guys commenting.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Blue One likes this.