Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Where Have All The Independents Gone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I live in Omaha, Nebraska... And the place you are most likely referring to is located in Lincoln, Nebraska ;)

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From being around a couple of guys who have done it in the past I'd say the cost of doing business has a lot to do with it for many. That and if it is a true sideline operation done after a full day's work the time involved takes a tole. You are going home after work, going out in the shop and knocking out pieces to fill orders and then packaging them so you can ship them on your lunch hour the next day and pretty soon you don't have time for anything else.
    I'd agree with the completion and especially the big companies turning out similar products often at far lower prices killing off a lot of small players.
    Access to the equipment that one used changing is another that has limited a couple of guys I know. One worked in a shop where he was allowed to make his own pieces after hours and on weekends when the shop was closed and the company sold and new management didn't go for that. Another lost his access to equipment when the shop owner abruptly retired and sold off all the equipment and the building in a short time frame. He completely changed lines of work.

3. Were still trying!
    My son and I are working on 3D printing stuff. He enjoys tinkering with the machines, and I'm happy to help.

Currently he is learning how to design parts from scratch, and researching how to scan things. So far the lower budget scanners are a PITA to get good data.

One of our thoughts is to print tail light lenses. The one on the right is printed and has been outside on the teardrop over the winter for testing.
    It's easier to see when lit during the day compared to the repop glass lens. The whole lens glows instead of a hot spot with the glass. 3D printed lens.jpg 3D printed lit up.jpg

ct1932ford, dwollam, waxhead and 2 others like this.
  4. NoSurf

NoSurf

While not a hotrod part per se, I wrote and illustrated a children's book- Grandpa's Hotrod, and have it small batch printed, hand binding done, and another HAMBer, Generalgow, prints the covers by hand. Thanks to Ryan and the HAMB I have sold almost 500 copies all over the world.

[​IMG]

5. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Had a customer send his part to China to have made, the copies were on the shelf before he received first artical. I had an idea for a tool and had the first run made local. each unit cost $9 to make figured to sell for $19.95 (wait, theres more) and wholesale for $12.99, By the time it would get into the catolog, after all the hands touched it, the sell price grew to $76. I dont know if people realizes this , but to even get it close to the catolog people, I had to provide liability insurance for my item..
    It has to cost pennies to make in order to sell for dollars, if it cost dollars to make, it takes dollars to sell. Retailers101

Hnstray likes this.
  6. a friend of mine has the blueprints for a water jacketed hemi block
    with 4 bolt mains and thicker main webbing
    couldnt find a casting facility to do a limited run of casting

7. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

I have a set of the scoops for my 409 that i'm running a tripower on. I can say the quality is top notch and worth every penny. I didn't want just the plain frog mouths that are likely now all coming from China. Support the small guy whenever you can!
    IMG_5604.JPG

8. lothiandon1940, uncle max and NoSurf like this.
  9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

10. Send him a message on the web page. He is a one man operation, He had the bed of his truck filled with parts to deliver at TROG, let him know if you want some and he can tell you how long before he can get them to you, They don't stay in stock, they sell that fast.

Blue One and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. lothiandon1940 and NoSurf like this.
  12. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Two years ago I took a pipe dream and made it into a plan. A year ago I took my 63 Ford Galaxie 500 and set out on a nine week, 18,000 mile road trip to visit each of the lower 48 States and photograph a car in each state. I had gathered up some sponsors that allowed me to put gas in the car and eat, and I started pre-selling books of the entire adventure.

In June of this year the books came out. I printed 200 thinking I’d have some a year or two down the road still. Once people saw them, the books went like crazy and I was sold out in 3 weeks. Next week I take delivery of another batch of books and they are already selling well too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

It’s a 226+ full color travel journal of the 48 State trip with 48 vehicle features, 6 event coverage articles, 2 breakdown stories, and maps of the travels. It’s the biggest dang thing I ever did and I’m proud to show it off.

There are quite a few old time HAMB’ers cars featured in the book including the late Bob K’s Chevy, and the late Bill Yeager of Delaware with his restoration of the Cedarquist Bros. Roadster, plus two Goodguys Hot Rod Of The Year winners, plus tons of home built cars. Most of them are traditional rides to boot.

The books are available at www.48cars48states.com

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    HotRodTractor, mr57, D-Russ and 23 others like this.
  13. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Often car clubs will chip in to repop rare parts and front the startup costs. I was talking with one of the members who had made some very fine parts and he told me some parts may take over 3 hours milling, polishing, drilling etc after they come out of the mold. After all that it may be hard to find people willing to pay enough to cover the casting and labor even though it is an out of stock part. I've heard horror stories about China ripping off specs from parts they make and selling them on their own, so if possible its best to make them in the good ole USA. My hats off to guys willing to stick their neck out to keep the hobby going. Thanks!

travisfromkansas likes this.
  14. If ya come up with a great idea you can produce and sell for a profit, you better make all you want to sell and keep it a secret. Throw all of them on the market at once, and when they're sold consider your job done. Next week there will be 20 people selling knock offs for cheaper than you can make them.

Unkl Ian and williebill like this.
  15. alchemy

alchemy

I wish. Each pair of Stude taillights I make takes over six hours of my time to grind, machine, sand, polish, and assemble. And I have a large outlay to the foundry, the lense supplier, and hardware/abrasive materials. I'd probably make much more money just getting some overtime at my day job. But where's the fun in that?

16. Smitty@Haneline

Smitty@Haneline

If you like to support little guys, I am a one-man show. Check out my dash inserts or let me do some engine turning for you. New Owner as of 4 Years ago.
    Thanks!
    Scott Smith
    www.hanelineproducts.com

56FT5Aotb.jpg 33F5NVUwwBE.jpg HWD8.jpg

17. My experience is that the bulk of the "fun factor" is in the creative process. The production process is less so and the marketing is the least favorite slice of the pie. It's a labor of love plus pride in a task well done but the enthusiasm can diminish over time. This may explain why, in some cases, these Lone Ranger craftsmen fade away. They get old, sure. They die off, yes. But sometimes they are moving on to new projects, new builds, new adventures.

I enjoy the designing, the working the bugs out, coming up with the details so the quality and beauty are built in. It is neat to sell something once in a while, though, because that's the validation, the appreciation that drives the whole process. All proceeds go to my favorite charity, my car fund. :rolleyes:

If you have a couple of minutes, check out my web store . . .
    www.gemstoneshiftknobs.com
    The gemstone shift knobs there are the type I started with and I've kept the internet store just for those. But over time I've begun carrying a lot of vintage and traditional shift knobs and accessories that I offer at my car show vendor booth. I have some way cool knobs that others have made but most are my own creations. 99% of my inventory is unique. I create one and the next piece I make is totally different. You have to come to my booth to see all 500 of 'em.
    019 (2).JPG DSCN1199.JPG PanelKK.JPG DSCN1195.JPG

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    ct1932ford, pwschuh, 6inarow and 15 others like this.
  18. Joe McGlynn

Joe McGlynn

I used to make some parts... Then I had a bunch of them knocked off by other guys that had them duplicated overseas. What a drag that is.

But I loved having an idea and figuring out how to make it. The gas cap was particularly fun, I had them satin nickel plated. I know CraftyB make some sweet parts, this was my take on the Hallibrand. I kept a couple in my stash for when I get around to building a rod for myself.

GasCap.jpg of tank satin.jpg

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

These are soooo good.

20. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

kidcampbell71 and Hnstray like this.
  21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

OldBolts likes this.
  22. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

Taught my self Solidworks. Have used it to design up custom gas tanks, fan shrouds, latches, deck lids and list goes on for myself and other people. Once its all designed up I take it to get CNC etched or engraved if needed then CNC watercut. Weld up if needed and done.
    Starting on 3D. Small stuff like door handles and other stuff I can pot metal cast myself. If I get a decent 3D scanner then I could take an old hood ordainment, dash center or other old pitted part. Scan it. Fix it up digitally. Print it out. bang up a mold and cast it. Cheap and easy. Just need to allow for shrinkage.
    Have mates who have made up intakes, 3D printed and got em cast.
    One of the places I work(Technology Education Center) has 3D printers, laser cutters, 3d Etchers, vacuum former's, engravers and more. Just need a file and away you go. With this kinda tech & guys happy to help out mates design up what ever they dream for a few beverages cant help the other chaps trying to make a few bucks.

23. XXL__

XXL__

Here's one he made for me a few weeks ago for one of my hoopteys.

2018-07-18 18.13.52.png

24. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Halibrand style Quickchange side plates. These are used to adapt V8 axle Trumpets to Champ size center sections.

Available in 11 or 12 bolt configurations!
    Prototypes inside.jpg Prototypes outside.jpg

25. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I've got a new gauge panel out called the Liberator. It's my second design and I hope to make more stuff in the future. I think the creative aspect is what draws me to thinking about parts to make. I wish I had more time to devote to having a whole line of parts. The AVIATOR panel was a success in my mind. I appreciate your support, Ryan! Hot rodding would suck if it wasn't for the little guy with a dream!
    20180605_155449.jpg IMG_20160322_140647.jpg

26. Let's be honest with ourselves.
    The trend makers have decided new parts aren't cool.
    Only vintage parts are acceptable on your period correct hotrod
    They'll turn their nose up at your rod if you dare put something new on your car.

27. tjm73

tjm73

The hobby has shrunk. Not as many people involved. Less market for little to no profit.

dan griffin likes this.
  28. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

F1A06588-855F-489D-9863-E42FEEF99048.png Long shot! Here’s one I kick my butt for missing and not purchasing a couple when posted on here, I would love to find, someone did a small batch of cast alloy caps for vertex hunt magnetos?searching for a pic now anyone remember those or have two for sale? Another favourite was the flathead cast alloy pans made in Europe, but I couldn’t get the coin together at the time Johnny

ct1932ford and Max Gearhead like this.
  29. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

That's somewhat true, but I think cool is cool whether it's new or old. If it's a cast part and has a vintage inspired look I say "why not". In my case, I got tired of seeing the same 5 gauge panels in '32s. I think, assuming younger people get into old cars, the trends will change again.

i.rant likes this.
  30. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

I am working on producing these products, currently sold out but will be restocked soon. This is a one man part time business with a lot of tool and die work.

Muroc Manufacturing co.

Our carb stacks,
    C34F13F1-AD4D-44AF-8D0C-D2127164E236.jpeg

661D397D-5594-48B8-95FD-4EFB7A100663.png

E049BCE9-0ACD-469C-9735-C77E43037F5C.jpeg

Our SW gauge bezels.

394E7848-915F-4594-9D61-A182015498C4.jpeg

A21CAC0A-9B7E-466E-88E1-EDBC492AF8C9.jpeg

A85592BA-85E0-4F63-8582-78E3B104E375.jpeg

56A945B6-CE1B-4D8C-B6C0-4E30A7DC2624.jpeg

8BEE5F6D-881A-4104-B536-BD5284C286AA.jpeg

And soon to be available