Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1961 Econoline station bus value

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49clubcoupe, Jul 18, 2018.

1. 49clubcoupe

49clubcoupe
    from idaho

Found a 61' Econoline station bus (the one with all the windows) while looking for cars today. It seems all original and complete but hasn't been ran in 30 plus years. Any Econoline guys out there that can ball park a value on this one?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Original and complete only tells part of the story... Body or mechanical damage? Rusty? To the right guy this may be worth something, but it's not a 'mainstream' vehicle....

3. 49clubcoupe

49clubcoupe
    from idaho

The body on this one looks good, no visible rust on the exterior. The floor boards I was unable to inspect due to all the tires being flat and the vehicle sunk down. I have purchased cars from this area before and somehow they are rust free even sitting directly in the dirt. Mechanically it's all there, ran when parked story. I see they only made 5-6k of these in 61'.

4. Hellfish

Hellfish

Some people value the window vans more, some value the panels more. None are particularly rare or valuable, but finding one that isn't badly rusted and dented is rare. A '61 will have a 144 inline 6, or maybe a 170, most likely with a 3-on-the-tree, and a 7" rear end that can barely handle the power of the 170. Converting to any other engine will take a lot of work. Unrestored, but in good shape, I'd guess $2-3,000 at the very high end. Pictures would help

Boneyard51 likes this.

5. These are kinda the 'holy grail' for Econoline freaks (like the VW window buses) but it's a smaller market. I'd guess the upper limit on value at your stated condition would be $2K give-or-take. Restored ones are bringing good money, but prices on 'fixers' are all over the map.

6. Deuces

Deuces

Pictures please..... Thanks!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. Squablow

Squablow

I agree with others, $2-$3K for a nice solid complete one that has a title but is otherwise a total project seems about right. They're really cool vans, if a bit underpowered.

8. 62rebel

62rebel

Doors on both sides? That's a rare one if it has them. Pics!

9. 49clubcoupe

49clubcoupe
    from idaho

Passenger side barn door only. I will stop on my way home and snap some pictures.

10. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

I do not know about in Idaho but in the Midwest and the left coast, vintage vans are in demand. Any of the "earlies" are desirable and the more chrome and trim, the better. Of course complete and relatively rust free are the most important.

11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

The 200cubic inch six clinder is a bolt in, the Ford 250 will go with a little work. I put a 200 in my 1960 van, put a 4:11 9 inch in it then added a overdrive on the three speed. Made a real nice combo.

Bones

VANDENPLAS and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  12. 49clubcoupe

49clubcoupe
    from idaho

Pictures[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

VANDENPLAS, Blues4U and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Something like that should be worth hundreds of dollars. How many hundreds I leave to you and the seller. I would start at two and go as high as five, maybe more if I really wanted it.

It looks like some kind of commercial vehicle that was used hard until it was worn out then dumped in a field to rot. If it is complete you could probably get it running, they are pretty simple. But to make a good van get set to spend a fortune.

wvenfield likes this.
  14. Hellfish

Hellfish

Non-stock dogbox, or some sort of cover. I can't tell if the rear seats are there or not. It's not a Falcon van (extra trim and interior bits), which would be slightly more valuable, but you could convert it to one, if you can find the parts.

Yes, a 200 will bolt in. Bigger inline 6s (250, 240) or any v8 will require a lot of work in 61-64 vans.

62rebel - the driver's side barn door (8door vans) option was only available on panels, and I think only in 65-67. Rare, but not much more in value.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  15. 62rebel

62rebel

Hate to argue but my Dad had one with windows and doors both sides. I wish to hell he'd kept it but he couldn't get the darn thing to run and I wasn't available to help

16. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I've always had a sweet spot for econo models. But yeah, not super valuable. Id be willing to bet the rockers are soft if not swiss cheese. there are lots of aftermarket sheet metal companies, but you know, its not free and labor to install isn't free either. I've got an e100 I have my eye on, but it needs rockers the whole length of the truck about 4 inches up

Elcohaulic likes this.
  17. 49clubcoupe

49clubcoupe
    from idaho

The stock dog box is under the "custom dog box" and the two bench seats are sitting in a shed near the bus. Does anyone know why some of these say falcon and this one doesn't? Was it a trim option?

18. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

240 and any V-8, yes.... 250 very little problems. Have one now in a Econoline pick up, looks stock, but did have to do a “ little” modification, but not much.

Bones

19. The 'Falcon' was the upscale non-commercial version, or at least targeted more towards family use. More exterior trim, much nicer interior (carpet, upholstered door panels, nicer seats).

20. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Around here that would be worth about a grand.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. That's because you don't have any beaches and everyone has a camper..... LOLOL...

22. catdad49

catdad49

With All those windows, plan on A/C! Looks pretty solid, I'm told vans are making a comeback. Let us know, Carp.

23. southcross2631

southcross2631

Too bad it is so far. It would be in my driveway. 300 six with an AOD and A/C .

24. BJR

BJR

I put a 289 automatic in one of those in the 1970's. Use a newer V8 crossmember and change the rear end. Before buying it I would get it up in the air and see if anything is left of the under side. Could be a total rust bucket on the bottom side.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  25. F&J

F&J

Like you in Minn, I am in the CT rust belt, but that Idaho van sure looks dry to me, I'd bet it is not too bad under there.

Oh, ...hamb is about the old days and the old ways.......do I dare ask how many of you graybeards had a van as your first apartment when still living with your parents?....:oops:

26. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

How about that 2 dr hrdtp on the left in the background. Looks like it might be a ‘54 Oldsmobile......hubba hubba!

Ray

27. BJR

BJR

You must have laser vision.:D

28. No, he just has vision.:cool:

BE03434B-D8F2-47CE-8B4D-4C2553331403.jpeg

clunker and Hnstray like this.
  29. Squablow

Squablow

That horn ring steering wheel and the side mirrors are valuable bits.

Sent from my LG-M153 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. Ive got a couple in my hoard. Junked them. Sold the 1/4 panel off of one and also sold the steering sector to some stranded travelers en route from Calif to New jersey. They van steering sector 004.JPG van steering sector 001.JPG van steering sector 002.JPG van steering sector 003.JPG where broke down in Springfield Mo. and some Hamb member posted the delemmia of not being able to find parts and I seen that thread. the front axle would be a good choice for a gasser.

F&J likes this.