Register now to get rid of these ads!

HEMI Tech- General parts and info resources

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Your first entry Chris Nielson has passed away. Please update.

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All,
    Sorry this list hasn't been updated in so long. If there is anything else that needs to be added or removed, please PM me. It hadn't been updated since we moved to the new HAMB format. I took a few minutes and reformatted everything. Little easier to read now, I think.

Nick, I added you to the list. Thank you for your entry!

Thank you for the reminder. This list has gotten away from me. Mr. Nielson has been removed from the list, but certainly not forgotten.

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Phil,
    Please PM me the information on your rocker covers and your contact information and I'll add you here, if you like. Thanks!

4. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

I am overwhelmed with the vast amount of info and opinion on this/these early Hemi threads. I make the statement on this thread because it seems to have the most recent posting date.
    I am beginning on my second Red Ram build and wish to share it with others, maybe get some input or atta boys,....and have a platform for questions I might have. I'm in SoCal.
    My first build starting 'bout 2006 yielded a 325 Hemi from a 315 Poly. Got running finally in 2014 and has seen 35K miles. I am one proud papa!
    Tryin to figger where to start the thread.
    Rain Shot.a jpg for CanadianHotRods.jpg

Desoto291Hemi and loudbang like this.
  5. Well, to start off, tell us about those headers.....

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    milwscruffy and loudbang like this.
  6. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

I made those headers back 'bout 2015. I made a set back in '58 but they were so ugly I gave up. Figgered I could do better 'cause I'm all growed up and more patient now. Still more ambitious than my talent capabilities. I started this set trying to do 180 degree headers but soon ran outta room. So ended with what you see now. In the new build, I'm gonna try once again to do the 180s and have secured a rear sump oil pan. Also I'll use 1.50" primary tubes instead of 1.625".

IMG_1549.JPG IMG_1436.JPG Img_2211.jpg

stillrunners, rod1, 35desoto and 3 others like this.
  7. NEAT!!
    I made my own on 33 COOP, but outside the frame rails is easy by comparison:
    _DHB6751edit.jpg

8. George

George

9. George

George

10. 73RR

73RR

Cool posters. I would love to have some like those in the shop.:)

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  11. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Double magnetos on the industrial engine? I would love to have one of those setups!

Also, are those front-mounted distributors on the marine engines? Exotic stuff.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  12. George

George

My understanding is the marine hemis are ass backwards, the tranny bolts up to the front of the engine. Makes the firing order look different too.

13. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Of course you're right. I got kinda carried away with all of the exotic ignitions.

I would still like to have one of those double front-mounted mags though. Thinking about it, it would probably be very impractical and require a special front casting that weighs a "ton". I would imagine a complete industrial engine like that probably weighs around 1000 lbs.:eek:

14. Unfortnately, the first hemi I bought was a marine one. Drove to New Jersey with a utility trailer to bring it home to Kent Island. It was useless. The snout of the crank is machined differently, the camshaft was gear drive, and the intake was a double single barrel mount. Other than that it was perfect to unload on someone else (a couple of young guys from over on the other side of the Potomac) for almost the same as I had paid. I assume that they also found out how useless it was and sold it off to another unsuspecting heminovice along the chain of custody.

Then I met up with a guy named Johnny Keys who had purchased a big cabin cruiser up in New York. It had three Chrysler Marine Hemis and the previous owner had been murdered onboard. (Hot Rods and Hemis seem to get involved with organized crime from Thunder Road to La Familia). Unfortunately, Johnny let the old wooden cruiser rot in its slip and had pulled the engines/drives out and had them sitting on his front yard and rusting.

I did not buy any of them.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  15. George

George

The head assemblies, if not rusty, would be good. On another Forum a guy used adaptors to use two 2GC 2 bls on the truck 1X2.

16. 73RR

73RR

Marine parts are always a crap shoot. I recently sold my last two 2x1 intake packages; One one really nice and the other was just rusty junk but the buyer wanted all of the bits and pieces still attached.
    Fresh water or salt water.......sometimes ya just have to guess.

17. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There was a 2X1 hemi manifold on the auction site a few years ago. I scaled up some pictures from the ad and tried to figure out if there was some way to use a couple of more common carbs (2G's again in my case) adapted to the manifold. I came to the conclusion that trying to adapt the carbs to the existing manifold could be done, but that the result would be less than satisfactory. I considered buying the manifold and doing some machining and brazing to make the 2G's fit, but alas, by that time, the bid on the manifold got beyond where I was comfortable with the project.

18. George

George

19. George

George

20. George

George

21. George

George

posted on FB by Kugel Komponents
    OK all you Chrysler HEMI fans!!!
    Pretty excited as I’ve been after this tooling for about a year, and now I got it and will be starting to cast them up soon!
    They’re at my pattern makers shop getting our part number and “Made in USA” to be cast in them.
    These are 1st gen Chrysler “4 bolt” cast iron manifolds. Came on trucks.
    1951-55 331”
    1956-57 354”
    1957-58 392”
    Do not have a cost nailed down just yet, but to be expected in the 700 ish range.
    If interested in a set DM or email me [email protected] to get on the “list” for a set.

51 mercules likes this.