Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building a foldable, stowable Roadster top

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wstory, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’m curious about the corner at the rear top bow, it looks like a big tuck or wrinkle there?

What happened?

I’d also like to see a few more detail shots of how the front header folds along with a few shots of it all folded up for stowing now that the fabric is on it.

Looks like it turned out pretty nice,

I was going to try doing my own top for my 26 RPU but ended up hauling it to Rod Tops shop instead.
    D9E4BB5D-963C-47B2-998B-B4FE97242C52.jpeg

loudbang likes this.
  2. You, Sir, are a GENIUS!
    I drove my roadster topless from '87-2007, and finally couldn't stand it any more. Too many severe sunburns and drownings. I gave in and chopped the stock irons I had and installed a LB chopped 32 black cloth top.
    Two years ago I had a melanoma removed from my nose! Not fun, nor pretty, but they got it all.
    Hindsight being 20/20, what if I had done it sooner?

3. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Just out of curiosity, would you mind temporarily filling the gaps w/some foam insulation to see how much, if any, it reduces noise? I'm curious why you went that way, & just how much that contributes to the noise factor. I'm guessing a fair amount. I realize ragtops are inhearently noisy(er), including new(er) OT cars, but still... I still *really* like this idea. BTW, I like cutting the cockpit area out to lengthen it. Slick. TIA.
    Marcus...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  4. Very cool.

loudbang likes this.
  5. AHotRod

AHotRod

WOW! what great execution and skills, it gives a whole new look to your roadster, way cool man !

loudbang likes this.
  6. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Really well done! Great job!

loudbang likes this.
  7. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Nicely done and well thought out! I made mine on the 33 out of steel and used the Hickey to. bend the tubes.

l33top3 (1).jpg

8. Following this closely. Are you going to do anything with side curtins/windows? This top is so spot on, I bet you could come up with a set of curtins/windows that would be trick.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  9. 48stude

48stude

This statement really struck me this morning. This is a great definition of every aspect of building a hot rod, at least for me anyhow. . wstory, you are an inspiration, great work! Thanks ,Bill

10. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

WOW! Whadda response in a coupla days. I am truly complimented by your interest and atta boys. I'll try to respond to all the question/comments but, please persist if I miss any.
    Never done anything like this before and it shows if one is ambitious enough and a little naive, it's amazing what you can get away with. I sketched a lot before committing because mistakes/refinements on paper come quicker and cheaper than with the end use materials.
    - One man install and break down. I've done it many times during the build process but, not in the rain,......yet. The whole assembly became more complicated than originally planned in order to have minimal loose parts to lose. However, the concept still prevails.
    - The wrinkle on that rear panel , 'tho it's accentuated by the sun's angle, bugs me too. I'm workin on it.
    The fabric "hooks" over the header and is secured with snaps. It's removed from the frame and rolled up separately. More pics,....in time.
    - Marcus, I may try filling the gaps when I got nothin better to do! Seriously 'tho, air flow was considered from the beginning. I have gaps where the top wraps around the body (like a Bop Top) and across the back. The idea was, give the air stream that wraps around the windshield post, a place to escape. Interestingly, seems to make no diff. whether the cowl vent is open or closed. What I notice is that the wind noise at speed is about he same as topless,....just different, and it seems less buffeting. I can now motor comfortably at 80 without ear plugs.
    - Side curtains ???? Shit the next thing we'd be lookin at is A/C and CruiseControl [​IMG]
    Gotta confess 'tho, been thinkin about that. Decided to stay focused ( a challenge for me) and get this thing done before ricocheting off on another idea before I have completed the task at hand.

11. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

The "knuckle" mentioned earlier was much worse than I could illustrate. That said,....I took the grinder to the corner and increased the radius from about 1.5 to 3 inches, thus lowering that offending projection some 1/4" or so. And, that surface is "inlet" to allow another strap to attach and be flush. Then back to Rex's place to finish the project. IMG_9595.JPG

12. If you think you can, you probably can. If you think you can't, you won't.
    Your little sun shade is a great example of the prior, and a great read, very well documented, entertaining and honest.
    Thank you for the effort to share with all of us, as stated, very inspirational and interesting illustration of how to "eat the elephant".

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  13. Damn nice work there Bill.

loudbang likes this.
  14. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Just had to share these latest pics. I can hardly wait to see the finished product. The zip in "strorm cover" is being completed this weekend.
    IMG_9608.JPG IMG_9609.JPG IMG_9610.JPG IMG_9603.JPG IMG_9599.JPG
    IMG_9600.JPG

flatheadpete, bymanr, Jet96 and 15 others like this.
  15. Neato! Perfect profile.

loudbang likes this.
  16. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Thanks for the reply, ws.
    Marcus...

340HilbornDuster and loudbang like this.
  17. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Done!!!!!!!!!!!
    storm cover 5.jpeg
    storm cover 1.jpeg storm cover 2.jpeg storm cover 4.jpeg
    Can't tell you how pleased I am with the result.
    My man Rex was a pleasure to work with and put forth the extra effort to pull off my vision. Diff. from recovering a convertible top, this project was much more complex mechanically, and required some real creative problem solving. The pics above were provided by Rex, some of the many he sent as progress reports during the project.
    And a nod to those who have warned, "you'll love the top and probably never take it off", man,... I get it,...now. I can't believe I will ever give up the full Roadster experience but motoring incognito in a stealthy Hot Rod sure is the tits. Wind turbulence is very livable and with the sun protection I'm enjoying the boogie even on the hottest brightest days. With shade and a little breeze I'm livin large!

18. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats a great top and a great job engineering it. Not being a dick but curious what the center section mesh really gets you? A convertible top you just put down if you want sun. Too much sun leave it up. I like the concept and need to have a top done for my 31 roadster but was wondering?

loudbang likes this.
  19. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

I really like the open air motoring and hate to give it up. Dermatologist says I'm playing Russian Roulette. The screen gives 70% UV filtration and you can still see through it. I still get plenty of breeze and pretty good vistas. I'm thinking the screen will shed water pretty well at speed too. So, the zip-on "storm cover" (with clear vinyl window) gives one more easy to install layer of weather protection if I need it.
    I'm thinking the norm, for Summer road trips will be with the mesh panel exposed. It's pretty convenient to fold-up and put in the trunk or remove from the trunk and install. No issue with leaving it in a motel room like a rigid lift-off top would require.

loudbang, brEad and Bandit Billy like this.
  20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Excellent design, high end work. Enjoy!

loudbang likes this.
  21. Top look great! You did a great job designing it and Rex followed up with fantastic execution.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Bill...........a kick ass job has been done on this top as it looks awesome ..........and you seem to have solved all problems encountered along the way.........WELL DONE !!!!

pprather and loudbang like this.
  23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Pretty dang cool

loudbang likes this.
  24. Great vision and the skill/talent to see it through! Well Done, now enjoy it.

pprather and loudbang like this.
  25. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

wstory say no more! I understand. Thanks for enlightening me.

loudbang likes this.
  26. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  27. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

Very nice!

loudbang likes this.
  28. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, ws;
    Proportions on your top are excellent. One of the best I've seen. Workmanship, too.
    Marcus...

loudbang and j hansen like this.
  29. Really nicely done Bill. Turned out beautifully.

30. I came to the party beyond fashionably late, but I gotta say, what a COOL thread, and a fantastic job you did. I dig the look. If you ever make it over to Southwest MO or St Louis area in your roadster, please give me a head's up. I'd love to see it in "real life".