Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Thread to warn others?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mofoa, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Here's the clue....
    "I thought about why someone would ask to send money this way, and my gut was telling me no, but I also needed the part...."
    A thread about scammers won't do any good when you KNOW you shouldn't do it but you do anyway.

54vicky, 5window, F&J and 1 other person like this.
  2. oj

oj

I watched a lead mountain goat jump across a crevass and then jump back. He moved along to another spot to jump across again and jumped back. After a few crossings he stayed where he was and the herd crossed, he was measuring the jump so the weakest could safely cross, he was a good leader and didn't need to worry about the 99%, it is the 1% he was worried about.
    I watched a lead mountain goat jump across a crevass and then jump back. He moved along to another spot to jump across again and jumped back. After a few crossings he stayed where he was and the herd crossed, he was measuring the jump so the weakest could safely cross, he was a good leader and didn't need to worry about the 99%, it is the 1% he was worried about.

egads, pat59 and FlyFisher like this.
  3. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I'd agree on a minimum post count (250) before anyone can sell in the classifieds, however, for the scammers that sign up on Monday, then I.M. and scam someone on Tuesday; how do you stop that? Maybe a rule setting that you can't I.M. until your post count is 250? If someone replies "I like your car" 250 times to make the minimum post, another member could see that but they'd have to be savvy enough to look at their osts before patronizing the 'member'.

Another day of a scammer making a living from his couch and keyboard vs. having to make a living like the rest of us! Maybe we should have a sticky for "scam of the day"?

4. Terrible80

Terrible80

But there's always one crazy goat that insists on diving into the crevass!:(

egads and Blue One like this.
  5. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Updated that a little......

F&J likes this.
  6. LAROKE

LAROKE

He's the one that didn't see the ewe turn.

wraymen, Blue One and Terrible80 like this.
  7. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I don't agree with the idea of requiring a minimum number of posts to offer an item for sale. I'm the proud owner of one of the nicest '40 Ford coupes I've ever encountered, and I bought it from a post on HAMB Classifieds from a member who almost NEVER posts except when he has a car for sale. He is not computer savvy, or active anywhere on the internet.
    But I did practice due diligence in investigating his name. address, past employment history, how long he had lived at his current address, who, and where his adult children live and work, ALL WITHOUT LEAVING MY COMPUTER CHAIR,WITH MY KEYBOARD ON FREE SITES. Then, after satisfying myself as to his legitimacy, I invested in a trip TO HIS HOME, spent over half a day looking at the car, both on and off a lift, and driving it before making a deal.
    Have had no problems with the car, brought home several car show trophies with it, and have absolutely no "buyer's remorse" on the purchase of an expensive car.
    Do your investigating before you spend your money. And the more the money, the more thorough the investigation

XXL__, seadog and rust runner like this.
  8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I agree they should not be allowed to respond to wanted ads the same day they join. I also always check to see how long they have been here, and how many posts they have, and I also dont listen to any hard sell kinda crap. If four other guys are wantin it too, let one of them have it. We must listen to our inner selves, Grasshopper...

9. Dirk35

Dirk35

I can tell you from experience that if you post an ad in the Wanted Section and you include your email address, you'll get at least three emails that are scammer phishing attempts. They will google the part you're asking to find, and send you a picture off of Google Images trying to sell it. One guy didn't even bother removing the image properties, so I was able to pull the original site he pulled the picture from and emailed him a link to the image he sent me.

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’ve got one for you, send me $50 to the Walmart I specify and I’ll have my accountant pick it up.
    Then I’ll mail you the shirt :D:D:D;)

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

my gut said this was a scam, but I REALLY wanted that shirt!

54vicky, fauj, Blue One and 1 other person like this.
  12. manyolcars

manyolcars

where can I get a woman to fill up that shirt? :)

13. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Not trying to kick the OP while he's down, since we all make mistakes and there's a first time for everything, but I can't help to think..

[​IMG]

If it sounds too good to be true...

54vicky, LAROKE and Blue One like this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Wow, I thought I was the only one that thought this made sense!

15. oj

oj

I was overly harsh with HRP and apologize.
    Its the heat we're dealing with upping my 'grump' factor.
    I don't think the minimum post count applies to the 'For Sale' section. We need a 'Red Carpet' Wanted section where we can look for items with a measure of confidance that we are dealing with fellow collectors. We need to know that anybody looking at my 'Wanted' ad will be legitimate collectors, truth is I do not dare to advertise in that section and I should be able to. We all should be able to. The Post Count is just one way that came to mind, if we put our heads together I'll bet we can figure out another way or two.

48fordnut likes this.
  16. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That’s kinda what I meant....haaaa.lol

17. I hate it when people try to protect us from ourselves. Just let people look in the archives for a person's history and then decide how they want to deal with the person.

Charlie Stephens

18. I tend to avoid things I find odd. Want to have my license plates restored and have two duplicates made by Darryl`s but I am awaiting a email if he will accept paypal or debit. He site states he takes check or money order. Im not doing money order and I am not doing check cause frankly I don't have any checks. Who uses checks any more in this day and age.

54vicky likes this.
  19. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

" but I am awaiting a email if he will accept paypal or debit. He site states he takes check or money order. Im not doing money order and I am not doing check cause frankly I don't have any checks. Who uses checks any more in this day and and age?"

I sell lots of parts here on the HAMB and I take pay-pal or check and many pay me with a check! I bet your Mom and Dad still have a checking account! As for me personally, I still carry cash when trying to buy old cars and parts. I dont see me ever using a credit/debit card to buy something at McDonalds!

20. alchemy

alchemy

You think checks are odd? Boy are you on the wrong website. This place is all about TRADITION.

A check or money order (especially US Postal money orders) are much safer than any of these Walmart or Western Union payments. When I sell stuff I want to be paid with a check or money order (and no shipment until they clear the bank). Only very seldom will I take a Paypal.

wraymen likes this.
  21. That's fine if you take pay-pal or check. But to take strictly check or money order and nothing else is out dated in this day and age. Most of my spending is done via debit/credit card and I carry only a small amount of cash.

I think taking check/money order only and no credit card or paypal to be odd.

Also this place is about tradition? Sorry but you need to brush up on your history, credit cards came out in the 50's so the use of credit cards is tradition.

Also paypal is safer than check or money order.

You want to live in the past and do cash/check only be my guest. Just means you are losing out on potential customers. I am not going to go to the bank and wait a couple weeks to get checks when I have zero use for them. Im sure as hell not going to go get a money order either.

22. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

And when the seller and the buyer cant agree on a payment method, there is no sale. Count me on the old odd side, I dont do paypal, but have modernized enough to take USPS money orders.

1934coupe and wraymen like this.
  23. Motmo

Motmo

Boneyard51 likes this.
  24. XXL__

XXL__

Click on the FIRST post in every single Classifieds section. READ IT.

Also, USE the Trading Profile feature. It shows you who seller has done business with (assuming people took the time to post... in my personal experience, only about HALF bother to post feedback... which really is a "pay it forward" act so others can have some confidence in the seller).

2018-07-18 20.56.46.png

25. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Motmo and XXL__ like this.
  26. Looks like I got the same scam. Only difference, sent western union.
    Sent money to Shane Moore, presumably the accountant of another .
    When you only have social security to get by on carp like this ain't right.
    My fault totally, just wish they hadn't found out The Hamb.
    Beware guys, not the Jamba fault at all.

27. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

The shirts don't really look the same when they arrive, folded up in a box. :D

Boneyard51, 49ratfink and ClayMart like this.
  28. mike bowling

mike bowling

I've got plenty of T shirts, but none with that "filling".
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've never sent money through Walmart, but have through Western Union- no problem ( luck?)

Sorry you got burned.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Found a '37 LaSalle stick, a stock one! Craigslist, yes, had the spring, washer, and upper tower not. All for $125!
    The response was dismal, he would NOT ship it...I had to show up at his house in Redwood City, 160 miles away.
    I passed, the thought of driving Wife Joey's DOHC BMW with stiff Koni suspension knocking my teeth out was worse than getting NO STICK! Dammit...

30. 5window

5window

I'd be happy to drive that BMW. :)