Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Barn find European '32 fordor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HaroldDegand, Jul 14, 2018.

1. You said you were going to restore it. I don't know about the European deuce but with the American version, if it doesn't have a V8 emblem on the headlight bar then it came with a 4 cylinder. So if you do restore it, shouldn't you use a 4 cylinder instead of a V8?

2. No idee for the moment

3. You're right. It's a 4 cylinder car.
    With a small 123 c.i.
    The guy who bought it in 1976 (without engine) wanted to put a flathead v8 in it.
    Not for customize, but to have more h.p.
    I decided to continue this way.

j hansen and Bleach like this.
  4. 1976 you say Harold o_O. Then that,s one that Mr Mahy missed :oops::p.

5. Exact ! ;-) By the way, I missed the auction on these euro deuce from Mahy two weeks ago.

P1050924.JPG P1050925.JPG P1050926.JPG P1050927.JPG P1050928.JPG P1050929.JPG P1050930.JPG P1050931.JPG P1050932.JPG

6. Garpo

Garpo

Amazing find. Interesting to see al the little detail differences in the French manufacture
    I would think about keeping the trunk - it would be a source of much attention.
    Mine; Garpo
    P1010663.JPG

kidcampbell71, 1932tub and mgtstumpy like this.
  7. I thought you might find this interesting, I made it for someone changing over an American B to a V8:

The following changes need to be made when replacing a Model B with a V8 (21 stud, others will require a few more things):

Of course engine, motor mounts

Muffler and exhaust system before muffler (same after)

Radiator

Radiator support rods

Engine steady rods

Hubcaps

Starter switch (if it is early B with pull starter)

Transmission (gears interchange but cases are different)

Choke (B is a cable, V8 is a rod)

Accelerator linkage

Engine splash pans

Gas line needs to be routed from right on Model B to left on V8

The B will have a few extra holes in the firewall pad from mounting the 4 cyl engine snubber

Need to add emblem to headlight bar

Need to accept the fact that the serial number (VIN) is for a 4 cylinder

Charlie Stephens

kidcampbell71 and mgtstumpy like this.
  8. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Here is one currently for sale in France.I pulled the pic off the ad.Not mine.

[​IMG]

34 GAZ and mgtstumpy like this.
  9. kiteloop

kiteloop
    from chatel

Oui peux tu svp me mettre en contact
    Merci
    [email protected]

10. Thanks Charlie for the infos.
    The engine I bought from the last owner is a 24 studs, crab style distributor and single belt.

11. RoadsterDom

RoadsterDom

Nice find , I saw you missed out on the Mahy cars on the euro duces discussion about them , glad you were able to find something . How are you planning to replace the internal wooden structure ?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. Yes that was pitty. The second one was all original, never restored 100% complete. No part missing.
    But no VIN plate and no title.

The week before the Mahy's sale, I went to Amsterdam for the Den Hartogh Museum sale.
    Only for pleasure...
    More than 220 Ford and Lincoln and 50 motorcycles are gone in auction in a day !
    8 '32 were for sale !

A V8 woody, V8 5w coupe, V8 B400, a V8 tudor modified in cabriolet, a 4 banger fordor modified to run with wood gas, a pick-up, and ..... 2 roadster : a 4 banger and a V8 !

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25077/?category=results#/aa0=1&w0=list&aj0=lot_number_asc&m0=0

Don't know how restore the 4 doors body for the moment.
    It looks nice, but I need to remove the body to look carefully under the floor.
    For example, the fuel tank is so rusty I can put my hand through it !
    P1050947.JPG P1050949.JPG
    The interior is in bad shape. Squirrels made their nest in it.
    I found some nuts under the rear bench...

P1050950.JPG P1050952.JPG

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. Nice one Sheldon. Your at an advantage there :cool: . Leboncoin is a hopeless site if you can,t read French. I hardly ever get further than "voitures"
    I could,nt find this one. So what is the asking price ? I must say i manage to get around on Ebay France. Probably because most Ebay sites are set up the same way.

14. kidcampbell71 and mgtstumpy like this.
  15. RoadsterDom

RoadsterDom

I was interested in the roadsters from the meuseum but they went for too much money and I couldn’t convince my self how much of them was original .

Let me know how you get on, I know the wood for the Europeans is a lot more structural than in the American cars .

It’s probably too far to ship but I have a spare original 32 tank in good condition here in the UK along with a number of other bits if you want to stick with Henry parts .

16. What do you mean ? Did you have doubdt ?

17. RoadsterDom

RoadsterDom

Nothing concrete just a nagging doubt

18. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

I was at the auction and looked the 32's over very well.I opened all the hoods and open and shut all the doors.The 5W had very poor bodywork done to it.Only the B400 did not have the orig engine and was a very amateur restoration.All the other V8's had the orig blocks and alu pans.Intakes were there but did not have the correct fuel pumps or carbs.The German conv had the correct distributor.The pickup and woody I thought were the best deals.I'm sorry I did not go higher on the pickup.It went for 13500 Euros + fees.

19. When i visited the museum some 10 years ago. The guide told me that most work at the cars at the car museum of Mr.Piet Hartogh here in Holland was mostly done by his own personnel
    (of his own truck company) and even how good willing they were, they were not professional car restorers, so restoration was sometimes of amateur quality.

20. sololobo

sololobo

omg cool, thanx for sharing.

21. Work of the day ...

P1050971.JPG P1050972.JPG P1050973.JPG P1050978.JPG P1050979.JPG P1050982.JPG P1050987.JPG P1050989.JPG

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  22. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

There are still loads of them out there.

Sent from my SM-G935F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

If you need any help, I'm not too far away. I have some original 32 parts.

Sent from my SM-G935F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Thanks ! I'll continue to pull apart.
    Then I'll make a list.
    I know I need 4 houdaille shocks with the dog bones.

25. Work in progress ...

P1050999.JPG P1060006.JPG P1060007.JPG

kidcampbell71 and 63fdsnr like this.
  26. kimfmx

kimfmx

kidcampbell71 and Peanut 1959 like this.
  27. Looks great !

Thanks for the advice ! Do you have the part reference for the MG schocks ?

28. Would the MG shocks ( Friction i guess ? ) be the same as Austin A40 Somerset ?

29. Garpo

Garpo

Same type, could be identical. Armstrong shocks were also used on British Fords. Mk1/2 Zephyr & Consul and 105E Anglia. All rear shocks. Differences in the lever arms and internal valving, but generally interchangeable. Use pair from the same donor. Hope this helps.
    Garpo

30. I need original front cross member.
    The chassis must be checked on the Celette bench.
    Where can I find specs for it ?