Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Custom Driveshaft ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat Six Fix, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Hey all, is it possible to get a driveshaft made where the slip yolk (from a 727) tube is near 3.25 and the rear yolk and flange is small and the tube is only about 2.5 inches?
    Trying to determine if custom driveshaft builders could make something like this with a smaller tube with 1 end larger in order to weld on a 727 slip yolk....thanx in advance..

2. samurai mike

samurai mike

they make u joints with big and small caps, so it may be possible to put the 727 yoke on the smaller driveshaft.

3. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Yes been searching its a Moog 397 and 315

4. indyjps

indyjps

See if you can find a heavy truck shop in your area, I've always had luck with them being able to do driveshafts.

5. Summit racing had the Moog conversion joint I needed.....at about half the cost of the local parts store.

6. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Custom driveshafts are pretty easy to come by, though they're pricey compared to a used one. Bastard joints (the u-joints with any differences, and yes, that's the old technical term, though now they might be called conversion joints...) are also widely available, all depends what you want to do.

These guys are good for full on custom work, and will ship anywhere - http://www.dynotechengineering.com/
    These guys I've used for shortening and balancing, but I don't know about their shipping - http://shaftmasters.com/

If nothing else, I'd call them up and see what they say, and maybe you can find someone local who does good work.

Mike

7. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I bought 2 different joints when I did the drive shaft for my 40 pontiac rear end. I needed the cups from one and the cross from the other. No conversion joint fit.