Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects sbc pcv valve question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sololobo, Jul 15, 2018.

1. sololobo

sololobo

Wanting to put on some valve covers with breathers on each one, will I be ok not having the pcv hooked up to the carb for crankcase venting?

2. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, you need to have the PCV valve connected to some source of intake manifold vacuum. Otherwise you are defeating the purpose of the PCV valve. If you are just using "breathers" and no PCV you will not have, "positive crankcase ventilation" but rather just a place for blowby to escape from the engine. PCV is much better. Breathers with no PCV valve can make a dirty oily mess depending on baffling in the valve covers, condition of rings, etc.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  3. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Not sure what year engine you have but some of the ones with a draft tube in the back can be fitted with adapter that incorporates a pvc. They were factory on some years ( mid 60s) and they work good and are not noticable.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  4. aaggie

aaggie

Having the PVC valve in place and working will also reduce chances of oil leaks. Old SBC gaskets, especially timing covers and along the back of intake manifolds, will push oil out when the revs go up. Walk around the pits and check out the elaborate systems on the "go fast" guys. Most even have a venturi of some kind built into the exhaust collectors to suck a vacuum in the engine.

5. sololobo

sololobo

thanx for this great info will be changing one of the breathers to a PVC set up. Helpere is greatly appreciated!

6. I went with just a vent. Lots of oil seapage
    Then hooked a pcv to the breather.
    That helped a little. The biggest help was the pcv plumed to the intake. I also had unbaffled valve covers. I built baffles and solved about all the oil leak issues The oil also seems to stay cleaner

7. Early 60`s SBC`s had a PCV that was built into the lifter valley. My '61-'62 production year block in my '63 has this and I used to run aftermarket Weiand valve covers with breathers so I had three breathers for my integrated PCV system. One in lift valley and one atop each head.