Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Nance Super/Sprint Car. Spirit of 76

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by meengrinch, May 11, 2015.

1. Jim; I will give you the front and rear mounting locations on the wing. I will also make the mounts for the front of it. When we first got the wing from Doug Gore the front mounts were adjustable so we could move front or back until we found the best placement later on they were welded on.I will look at your photos of the bird cages to see where the rears will mount and make the the tubes that will up to the air cylinders. I will be in touch. DLB sr

2. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

HI, I was just re reading your Hilligas sprint car thread. Love that car. I had a question about the rear radius rod mounts on that car. I see that they are 2 pieces and clamp around the axle housing, but do they attach to the rear end any other way than the clamping force, Have a key way of some sort, or does the rear end rotate inside the clamp with a generous amount of grease?

Thanks!
    Neil

3. harley rider

harley rider

very cool a Nance car. when I was either 19 or 20 I worked in the Nance machine shop doing lathe work. I made mostly things like hubs, rear end parts, and other round parts.

4. hi. I'm Dave Bennett sr I had Lavern build my main frame back in 1974, I ordered most everything for the roller from him. front end 3 in live haldibran, steering and body. What years were there,I still bought some items back in the late 80's from ..Mabell after Lavern had his stroke. I build hot rods and Harleys in my shop.worked for H-D dealership for 10 plus years.

5. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

I've come late to the thread, but want to encourage you to continue. I don't think you need to worry much about bumps in the road: In my experience, any project that starts off hanging from the bucket of a tractor is blessed!

I met one of the Nance employees in the pits. He was trying to make his own sprinter work using coilovers in place of the shocks on a standard axle. I talked him into building me an axle, set up for coilovers and early Ford spindles. Lavern caught us talking. He threatened to fire his employee if he didn't quit talking to customers about anything other than torsion bars. Ran me out of the shop after offering to bend the axle around my ears!

Another time, I brought in some 4130 pieces that I had cut and tacked, for finish welding. Lavern got on my case about how the tube was cut. Being a dumb kid, with no tools or experience, I admitted using my Sears Roebuck pipe cutters. He about had a stroke!

I recall quite a few midnight discussions, after the races. on wether or not those five-position adjustable torsion bar rollers atop the front axle actually did anything! Still unconvinced!

6. JSMartel

JSMartel

image.jpeg

Attached Files:

grumpy32 likes this.
  7. JSMartel

JSMartel

Just about ready for paint and graphics , got a few more additions to make but it is coming together nicely. Has been a ton of work for my father and I but so nice to preserve the past.

8. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

image.jpg image.jpg Heading out for graphics.....

Attached Files:

grumpy32 likes this.
  9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Wonderful job. Any hints on the livery? Gary

10. rebelyank

rebelyank

I have heard many stories of this car racing and a few of it running up Plymouth street. Anxiously awaiting seeing the piles of parts all back together again in all her glory.

11. Sporty45

Sporty45

12. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

It sure is a lemon of a paint job.........Paul always is the best.......
    L

Sporty45 likes this.
  13. Sporty45

Sporty45

That he is. A great brother in law too!

14. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Well here she is !!! All done and unveiled at the recent summer fest event held at Beechridge motor speedway. This 70s vintage Nance sprint car raced at that speedway and was crewed by the 4 fellows in red shirts during that time . We enjoyed preserving the past and hope you enjoyed following our rebuild. A big thank you to all that helped us out along the way . Jim and Scott Martel

15. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

View attachment 3298003 View attachment 3298002
    Well here she is !!! All done and unveiled at the recent summer fest event held at Beechridge motor speedway. This 70s vintage Nance sprint car raced at that speedway and was crewed by the 4 fellows in red shirts during that time . We enjoyed preserving the past and hope you enjoyed following our rebuild. A big thank you to all that helped us out along the way . Jim and Scott Martel

16. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

VERY NICE job. I can't imagine how great all the old crew feels about it! Congrats. Gary

17. Drive Em

Drive Em

I recently found this Nance, it is a springer but around the same era.

Attached Files:

tractorguy likes this.