Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Thread to warn others?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mofoa, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Mofoa

Mofoa

To keep this short, is there a special place on the site to warn others of someone who scammed me?
    I was referred to this person by Frocture on this forum--turns out that user's profile is no longer on valid. Anyway, he "referred" me to Shane Moore in CA at [email protected].

Said Shane should have everything.

I emailed "Shane" and sure enough, Shane sent back a picture of what I was looking for and asked that I send a wire transfer via Walmart (RIA)--yes, I thought about why someone would ask to send money this way, and my gut was telling me no, but I also needed the part....

Followed all instructions by sending payment to his so called Accountant "Joseph Allan Pelligrino" and then a day later, Shane tells me he sent his "Accountant" to claim the money at Walmart, and that the transaction had been cancelled. I called the number on the receipt, punched in the reference # and it said the funds have been paid--not cancelled. Told Shane about this (thinking there 'may' be a chance of a misunderstanding), but nope, he's sticking to his lie.

I called the 800# on the receipt to report this fraud--and they confirmed that the only person who can claim the money is the person who I put down on the form--as they must show a valid ID and have the reference number.

Anyhow, I have just been scammed. Warning to others--do NOT wire transfer money to anyone you do not know.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The WalMart payment scam has been discussed at length on other threads here.

54vicky, Clay Belt, XXL__ and 2 others like this.
  3. Mofoa

Mofoa

54vicky, slim38, Kiwi 4d and 14 others like this.

4. indyjps

indyjps

The only time Ive paid with wire transfer was to buy illegal shit. It was about a 25% rip off rate.

Unkl Ian likes this.
  5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Like Judge Judy says "if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck.......it's a duck".

54vicky and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Mofoa

Mofoa

In addition, just because someone is a member on The HAMB...don't use Wire Transfers, unless you personally know the person.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anyone wanting payment through Walmart moneygrams should raise a RED FLAG by now. That might be the way to send a relative money in a safe and simple manner but not to buy something.

8. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

How much did you pay for your education?

If the person can't get money under their own name they've likely scammed someone before. You should have learned from this site that to make certain the person has the part in question, ask for specific pictures from odd angles with something in the pictures so the person can't just grab images from somewhere. Payments via ware transfer are always a huge red flag and you have to take extra precautions. One form uses moneygram and the payments can be picked up anywhere in the world. I think the regular version can be picked up at any store in the United States. Walmart should allow the person sending money to send it to a specific location.

9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Scammers have been around for eternity as well as the scammed and not everyone has got it through to their brain box. Seems it happens frequently on here as well. :(

54vicky and Boneyard51 like this.
  10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

PT Barnum said it years ago, "There's a sucker born every day".

54vicky, Blue One and larry k like this.
  11. Sorry for your loss.

Honest people tend to be trusting and get scammed more often than...
    I'm not pointing fingers at any post or person as honest or dishonest, clever or not so clever. I'm just saying...

Sky Six likes this.
  12. Sporty45

Sporty45

I can't believe this scam still works on people here, it has certainly been talked about enough!

Sorry for your (expensive) lesson :(

54vicky, 5window, hidez57 and 2 others like this.
  13. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

AGAIN?!?!?!?!?!?!? So tired of these posts. Same story, different day.

SPark

14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

41 rod.... where can I get a shirt like that one in your avatar?

Bones

Clay Belt and catdad49 like this.
  15. RichG

RichG

Sorry you got jacked, but anything that involves a run-around, multiple parties, and wire transfers to stores should put the kibash on any deal. Maybe seeing this thread will help someone else not make the same mistake.

What part were you looking for anyways? Something rare?

16. 54vicky likes this.
  17. I've been horse trading parts and cars for longer than I care to admit. I pride myself on being in-scammable. I've dealt with sellers here and have never an an issue. After a while you get to know people, someone new... well that's a risk right there. Some song and dance.. red flag. Money Gram to Wallyworld, may as well as throw your bank roll into the fireplace.

F&J likes this.
  18. Terrible80

Terrible80

19. There is look at my previous post,BAD SELLERS. HRP

F&J likes this.
  20. Terrible80

Terrible80

Was being sarcastic.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5window and F&J like this.
  21. F&J

F&J

I've never heard someone use that as an excuse to not go with the gut.

...The "gut" is a persons subconscious. It knows what your conscious does not.

22. This is posted at the top of the classifieds. HRP

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/afraid-of-fraud-protect-yourself.630479/

I think sometimes people get so excited finding that part they have been looking for common sense goes out the window,the original poster said ,"I thought about why someone would ask to send money this way, and my gut was telling me no, but I also needed the part...."

Problem is he doesn't have the part and is out his hard earned money.

All members have to do is ask before they send money,there are thousands of good sellers & buyers here. HRP

23. SSDD. Same scam, different day.

Unkl Ian likes this.
  24. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Look at his post count, 16. Probably young, and hasn't been on here very long.
    give him a break!

25. BJR

BJR

Always a bummer when anyone gets screwed. Sorry to here this.:(

26. member joined 2014. He should come here and read more.

54vicky and Unkl Ian like this.
  27. oj

oj

This scammer is surfing the 'Wanted' section for victums. Seems to me we could block scammers by limiting access to those looking by having a minimum legitimate posting count, say 250 posts per year or something, then we'd know them.
    This is a common occurance, at some point we need to quit calling the victum stupid and take action to prevent further scamming. This is that point.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  28. Terrible80

Terrible80

So I have to post once a day except weekends to be trusted? That ain't gonna happen.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. I don't see where anyone called the OP stupid,but he did fail to ask the questions that might have prevented his being scammed,I have seen several guys in the past ask if anyone had done business with who ever and were warned to steer clear.

Each of us has to be aware of the signs, extremely low post count or having just joined,look at the profile and see it they are here just to sell parts, the main thing is ask questions,don't let that desire for a certain part cloud your thinking.

Hundreds of transactions occur in the classifieds each month and I would venture to say 99 % of them come off without a hitch. HRP