Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods From Norway on vacation in LA area - What to see?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris Lie, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Chris Lie

Chris Lie

Hi.
    Me and my family is on vacation in LA area. Do you have any tip for oldschool things to check out? Mostly car relatded. Custom or hot rod.

Would apriciate any tip from you guys

Thanks Chris

Sent from my SM-G920F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

We enjoyed this place in Culver City because I have a Metropolitan...

Metropolitan Pit Stop - 46 Photos - Auto Parts & Supplies - 5324 Laurel Canyon ...

5324 Laurel Canyon Blvd Valley Village ... Photo of Metropolitan Pit Stop - Valley Village, CA, United States .... Parts, service and possibly the most unique Met museum of cars

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

chryslerfan55 and Chris Lie like this.
  3. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

Alan Mest's . Its in Hawthorn. He's a real nice guy. Has tons of parts and some very nice cars.
    https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hmn/2007/07/SoCal-s-Secret-Stash/1483381.html
    copy paste link and it has a couple of pictures. Also you might find something you need. Also Gene Winfield's is in Mojave. Which is about 2 hours from LA at most. Coffee and Dounts in Huntington Beach on Sunday Mornings. You would want to get there about 6am because by 730-800 most are leaving. On a good day there is a lot of cars there.

4. Special Ed

Special Ed

5. toml24

toml24

Southern California places to visit, (2018 update). They are:

Donut Derelicts Car Show, Huntington Beach, CA. Corner of Adams and Magnolia. Every Saturday morning from 5:30am-8:30am. Best FREE car show on the West coast. 200 vintage cars and trucks every Saturday morning. Trust me; it's worth your time to see this car show.

NHRA Drag Racing Museum, Los Angeles County Fairplex. 1101 West McKinley Ave. Pomona, CA. More than just drag racing, this is an excellent museum.

Automobile Driving Museum. 610 Lairport St. El Segundo, CA. 90245. Don't be put off by the funny street name or the plain drab brick facade. This is a great museum that is non-profit. They ask for a modest $5.00 donation. It's worth it. Very close to LAX Airport.

Peterson Museum. 6060 Wilshire Blvd. $15 entry plus $12 parking.

Autobooks-Aerobooks bookstore. 2900 West Magnolia Blvd. Burbank, CA. 91505. Outstanding selection of automotive and aircraft books. Closed on Sunday & Monday.

Irwindale Speedway. 500 Speedway Drive. Irwindale, CA. 91706. Freeway off ramp is Live Oak Ave. Starting March 10th, every 2-weeks on Saturday night there is NASCAR short track racing with 5 different divisions on the paved ½ mile & 1/3 mile oval track. On-track autograph session and freebies at 5:45PM, racing at 7:00PM. Great entertainment. $15.00 plus $5.00 parking.

Also at Irwindale Speedway, NHRA drag racing every Thursday night starting February 15th on the 1/8 mile drag strip, starting at 5:00PM until 10:00PM. $10.00 to watch and FREE parking.

In-N-Out Hamburger. Mighty tasty burgers, fries, and shakes.

The Habit Burger Grill. Great burgers and the best shakes on earth!

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts. Get the warm glazed doughnuts and bring plenty of cold milk. It's a great experience!

6. kursplat

kursplat

if your out in the valley try Beeps.
    nice 50's vibe. the foods good and the malts are excellent. how long are you here for? i could use a hand wrenching on a couple things :D

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. chryslerfan55, The37Kid and Chris Lie like this.
  8. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

How about shops in the area, So-cal., circle city, Waldens theres hundreds in the L.A area.

Chris Lie likes this.
  9. kursplat

kursplat

LBCD, chryslerfan55 and Chris Lie like this.
  10. LBCD

LBCD

You have to check out Chrome (the history of drag racing and custom cars in Socal) in Bixby Knolls, a suburb of Long Beach.
    http://hslb.org/chrome/

jnaki, chryslerfan55 and Chris Lie like this.
  11. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

There is a lot of shops here. the unfortunate part is people around here have egos. You stop by and they don't have the time of day or are to cool to even hey hi. The best car shows I have been to are out of the state. the ca car vibe is whos coolest. Not about the cars in most cases. Don't get me wrong there's a couple of cool people and shows but its different in ca.

12. Chris Lie

Chris Lie

Thank you. I went to Alan Mest since that was along the way. Alan himself was not there, but I met hus grandson and some friends of him. I was allowed to take a quick look and talked with them. Nice garage and fun to be at at shop that actually is a shop and had bin for a long time ( not that much any more, but still). Thank you for giving me the opertunity to experience this type of garage. We dont se this back home ( not with this many parts and old signs anyway).

I will see if I can get to some of the others.
    Thanks.
    Chris

Sent from my SM-G920F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

scrap_metal and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nethercutt is GREAT, and free, be sure to call ahead and see if you can get on the tour of the Salon and music collection. Truly unbelievable tour, not that there is anything wrong with the building across the street, I think 99% of the cars are ready to run. Bob

i.rant, chryslerfan55 and Chris Lie like this.
  14. Chris Lie and cretin like this.
  15. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

Glad to see you stopped by. A really cool place for sure.

Chris Lie likes this.