Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help ID my sub frame

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by skin_dog1, Jul 16, 2018.

1. skin_dog1

skin_dog1

I just bought a 40 Chevy that has an ifs subframe bolted under it. It’s not one I recognize and not sure these pics will be much help. Any one got any idea what this might be? A534FD7B-0335-4400-88E5-18B6AB334A96.jpeg B6F97B37-B9FA-44B1-A75C-D4DC5EFDD44D.jpeg

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

upload_2018-7-16_17-13-24.png
    GM IFS #5328534 Looks to be OEM with upper and lower rebound rubbers matching original schematics? GM casting on upper control arm
    upload_2018-7-16_17-18-51.png
    upload_2018-7-16_17-19-17.png

3. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Looks like your standard knee action to me.

4. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

I think they are right. Is that a crack on the upper arm?

5. BJR

BJR

Better change that upper shock mount, angle is way off.

RICH B and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

stock original suspension! with (badly) added tube shocks. how about that.

mgtstumpy, lothiandon1940 and Hnstray like this.
  7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Cobweb...

RAY

squirrel and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. ...................I hope you are right, but the more I look at the pictures, the more it looks like a crack!:eek:

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  9. Looks stock to me,with the exception of the shocks. HRP

10. skin_dog1

skin_dog1

Well don’t I feel like an idiot. I wondered if it was original. But to be honest, it’s my first 40’s vehicle and had no clue it would’ve had ifs. Assumed it was a straight axle. Looks like I’ll be doing a MII swap. The steering blows. It’s got a late model steering column and not sure if the geometry of that install is all wrong or it’s just worn out 80 year old parts.

11. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

You are not that wrong....1940 Chevrolet Special and Master De Luxe got an "Independently Sprung Front Axle" .......and Master "85" got "Conventional Front Axle".....

skin_dog1 likes this.
  12. What is this Mustang II you speak of ?

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Skin_dog1..........'Mum' is the word.....;)

A surgical 'edit' of your post would be even better....

Ray

lothiandon1940 and skin_dog1 like this.
  14. ...that's orig. 40 Chev independent front susp,..not called knee action , knee action fronts were only available from 34 thru 38...

Torkwrench likes this.
  15. Wow. Original and not a hacked graft. You did good.

16. town sedan

town sedan

Think again and read the OP's 2nd comment on this thread. He's happily going to replace it with street rod parts.
    -Dave

17. They used knee action front ends up to 54
    Up to 63 in the corvettes

Different set up then yours but kneee action the sane

18. Yes
    If he does update it he can do it a lot easier than messing with a hack job

19. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Sounds like all they did was cut OEM column shaft and graft a new column in if using original steering box which might be OK and only require adjustment? The only thing required when that column was swapped in was a universal joint connecting it to box output shaft and a seal on tube where it was cut. The column needs to be secured properly at toeboard and lower dash rail. Post some photos of column attaching points and universal joint. It could be poor workmanship or fabrication (DD shaft) that needs rectification apart from tube shock angle. You already have disc brakes. Don't overthink it, the OEM suspension including kingpins might be OK and still safe to use.

skin_dog1 likes this.
  20. Knee action was dropped after 1938...period....after that it was called independent front susp.

Torkwrench, alchemy and Hnstray like this.
  21. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

So the indipendant front suspension from 1938 is nothing at all like the indipendant front suspension in 1939 or did the name change and not much else Edit ;the earlier one looks like shit!

22. 24riverview

24riverview

My opinion also rusty1 but Chevy's brochure writers must not of gotten that memo, LOL. img3245_71022-1.jpg

23. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The suspension Chevrolet first used that was commonly referred to as 'Knee Action' also was known by it's designer's name ...DuBonnet. It was was a massive and ugly appendage and bears almost no resemblance to the photo above in post #22.

Given that the DuBonnet was commonly called 'Knee Action', the marketing people most likely decided to capitalize on the name recognition and, as the ad copy above indicates, referred to as 'the improved knee action'......which it certainly was. However, it is arguable that any upper and lower A arm style suspension could be referred to as knee action. The design's main change was the substitution of ball joints for the pin and bushing pivots in the earlier designs.

Ray

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  24. any you guys lower one with stuff like this
    butch.jpg

25. Tons of bolt-on kits that will fit this frame, all the same stuff that works for 49-54 cars will work here.

26. I just looked up some dropped uprights. Man they are proud of those.

27. ...I stand corrected,..looks like even the GM ad writers continued to refer to the front susp. as "knee action",...altho it really was coil spring,..here's what the true knee action fronts looked like,...
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    Hnstray likes this.
  28. skin_dog1

skin_dog1

3DD28740-878C-4B61-8DDE-BECE523DCC13.jpeg No u joint. That may be why the steering is so jerky. Imagine a slightly bent shaft rotating, getting right at one point then freeing up at another. Somehow I doubt that shaft is perfectly straight from the steering whee to the steering box.

29. If the same guy who installed the tube shock modified the steering, I'd be worried.

Looks like part of a u-joint (welded!) at the fire wall. What is that?

30. skin_dog1

skin_dog1

There’s a lot of crap that’s got to be corrected with this car.