Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Hydro Racing On Lake Essex

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Ryan, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Vintage Hydro Racing On Lake Essex

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

oh man... that looks like a blast!!!!

continentaljohn and NoSurf like this.
  3. my2nd40

my2nd40
    from Tennessee

I used to run a three point hydro and a Mercury Hurricane 10 as a teenager. Some of the most fun I've ever had.

continentaljohn and Toms Dogs like this.
  4. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Those little hydros were a blast to watch.They used to run almost every weekend during the summer in my home town in Fl(Vero Beach)back in the mid 50`s to mid 60`s.All amature and loads of fun to watch.Almost all of the boats were home built.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

J.Ukrop likes this.

5. taborj

taborj
    from Oregon

They still do races with similar hydros here in my town (Newberg, OR) every Memorial Day weekend.

6. flamingokid

flamingokid

I remember seeing some of these down at Lake of the Ozarks in my youth. BTW, I like the idea of this new forum.

7. tractorguy

tractorguy

LOVE the little wooden hydroplanes. I have had several old rail frame dirt track midget projects over the years. Some of the old midgets would actually use an Elto 4cyl. air-cooled outboard. They would be installed vertically in the chassis and drive thru a right angle gearbox to the quick change rear axle. I had two of the neat little engines and eventually sold them to a wooden hydoplane restorer in Chicago.
    Looks like the hydroplane "Clipper" #253 in the video is running an Elto 4cyl........neat stuff !

continentaljohn likes this.
  8. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

I saw one in some ones backyard with out a motor I thought it was a toy for teenagers ,not a lot room inside

9. Wow! These are great!

10. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

My dad had one hanging from the ceiling of his garage. Totally cool, I came home from school one day to a pile of wood and sawdust. Still can’t figure out why all of the sudden it was time to cut it up. I will dig up a picture. Gary

11. Barely larger than the riders themselves. Fun to watch, must be a rush to drive!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. I stayed at my aunt's cottage on Black Lake near Holland, Michigan during the summer of '52. They used to race those things occasionally. We called them punkin seeds.

13. Toms Dogs

Toms Dogs
    from NJ