Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Looking for steering wheel adaptor info for Desoto

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by treitmeier1, Jul 14, 2018.

1. treitmeier1

treitmeier1

Anyone on here find a Grant adapter to fit early 50s Dodge/Desoto? I have a 53' Firedome and I'd like to retain the original column but fit an aftermarket wheel.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

2. Wasn't the DeSoto more related to the Chrysler rather than the Dodge? 'Course, the Chrysler adaptor is probably just as hard to find...

3. treitmeier1

treitmeier1

Good question. Doesn't seem to be a tonne of info on Desoto in general. I assumed early 50s would be all similar but this is my first car pre 64' and also my first non muscle era Mopar.

4. DeSoto was the red-headed stepchild at Chrysler. Now, I don't know about your '53, but my '56 DeSoto is the same basic car as a same-year Chrysler but they do have more technical differences than you would suspect. And those differences can be irritating and inexplicable at times. But they do share the body shell, frame, suspension, and steering linkage, I would assume the steering column is shared also. But that still doesn't mean an adaptor is available, there's isn't much out there for these cars.

5. George

George

Safety wise you'd be better off installing a modern column. Read stories about front impact & the steering wheel area shears off & the unbelted driver would be impaled on what was left of the column.

6. treitmeier1

treitmeier1

This car has a fluid drive transmission. I agree a modern column is far safer but building a linkage and retaining the original look would be very difficult.

7. 4woody

4woody

treitmeier1 likes this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Grant doesn't seem to show adapters for any Mopar product until 1961.

9. Worst case, get a trashed mopar wheel that fits the column and cut the hub out. Use the hub to build your own adaptor. That's my plan to use a '58 Edsel wheel on a late column....

treitmeier1 and milwscruffy like this.
  10. oldsman41

oldsman41

Ok I don’t think you are going to find an adapter for your desoto. I have a 41 olds and it had a straight steering column with a keyed end , not like modern columns. You might have the same type on your car.

treitmeier1 likes this.
  11. George

George

Get a tranny to engine adaptor from Q.E.C. (77RR here on the Board) & dump the Fluid Drive.

12. Get the steering wheel you want to use and a section of the steering shaft it mounts on. You can then mate it to the top of your steering column. Not that hard.

13. Only issue there is if your column has factory turn signals, it can get complicated matching everything up...

treitmeier1 likes this.
  14. Agreed. Uncertain what year built in turn signal switches became standard.

My 38 Stude wheel to a 56 F100 shaft did not have any turn signals to deal with. I made my own column.
    [​IMG]

treitmeier1 likes this.