Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Why Are Tube Front Axles So Common on T's?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blues4U, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

It seems like Model T hot rods are more likely than not to have a tube front axle, something that is rare on a Model A or 32-34. So why are they so popular on T's? This seems to be so especially on T buckets, and especially Fad T's, but also on Track T's. Seeing as a tube axle has issues with hairpin mounts due to the lack of twist in a tube axle, yet this is the typical setup. What's up with that? Just curious why this is so common on T's, is there a historical context I'm unaware of.

Some examples:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Lighter looking, cleaner looking when that much is exposed, racier looking
    . Simple to chrome. Laziness....that's why I did it when I started the build on mine years ago. Sold it before it was finished, it's still running around.
    SPark

TrackT1.jpg . Simple to chrome. Laziness....that's why I did it when I started the build on mine years ago. Sold it before it was finished, it's still running around.
    SPark

OFT, catdad49 and Hnstray like this.
  3. Factory T axle wasn't a good choice.

4. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I get that, but plenty of I-beam axles around to use.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I think LM14 covered it pretty well. The tube, I think, looks better to most eyes. Smoother, cleaner, "less industrial" than an I beam. None of that is to say the I beam doesn't have merit, it does, and is a proven part. But if there is one thing that is an almost universal truth, it is Looks or Cool beats 'better choice' every time if looks are a factor.

Ray

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

many T buckets are built from "kits" or at least an assembled frame that comes with a tube axle. most old cars are built from old cars that came with an I beam.

two of your examples are V8 60 axles from Ford.

metlmunchr, RICH B, bct and 3 others like this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

^ what he said

The track t’s are likely using v860 axles which... maybe weigh less?

8. I would thing T bucket axles have the hairpin brackets welded to them,a large majority of T's that are on the road were offered as kits back in the 6o's and the tube axles are made in house along with all the suspension parts. HRP

49ratfink and Blues4U like this.
  9. mkubacak

mkubacak

Look at the photos above. To my eye the most pleasing axles are the V8 60 axles.

Also, look at Tommy Ivo's car and the Kookie Kar. They both are sporting V8 60 axles.

LOU WELLS, Just Gary and 49ratfink like this.
  10. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

The way I see it, two of the first, and arguably most famous, T buckets ever built were V8-60 tube axles. That look is what many people are after. Then, along comes the "kit" T buckets... Tube axles are much easier and far less costly than a forged i beam to produce, so that's what's sold with the kit. There's nothing wrong with using an i beam on a T, but it's quite uncommon to find one in "kit" form. The Tribute T from Speedway is an exception. I prefer an i beam, but I believe I am in the minority when I say that as far as buckets go....

Deescott, AndersF, Blues4U and 2 others like this.
  11. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cost and reduces a bunch of unsprung weight on a very light car.

gnichols and Blues4U like this.
  12. oj

oj

I'd say the tube axle on the kit cars were dirt cheap to make, 2 bends and a couple welds? a production shop would have a stack of them made in a day.

Blues4U likes this.
  13. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I believe it was because:
    1. it was a follow over of building T buckets which wanted wider tracks.
    2. tube was a new style.
    3. a carry over from speedway dirt track racing.
    4. greater drops in axle height could be achieved.
    5. just to be different.
    6. and it all started with T's so era correct...

patmanta, Ned Ludd and Blues4U like this.
  14. Cause they are purty....

Al's.C.D.T and Blues4U like this.
  15. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

after spending a couple of hrs getting the bolts out of the bones, blasting and grinding rust for another couple hrs , yep and tube axle looks better all the time.

The37Kid likes this.
  16. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

^^^^ This is the reason ^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  17. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Because I found an unused one at a swap meet for $10.:D

Hnstray likes this.
  18. A Boner

A Boner

Cheaper to manufacture for a T bucket kit......don't have to heat and bend steering arms like with old Ford beam axles. Lots of T bucket kits during their hay day = monkey see monkey do, becomes part of the fad in fad T's. Doesn't hurt that they are simple/smooth looking.....and V8-60 axles are very slick!

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Looks, easy to fab, looks, light, looks... Gary

dana barlow likes this.
  20. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I believe the Fad T was definitive a good decade before they could be had as a "kit".

A tube axle has a more delicate look, which ties into the Fad T idea of near-humorous ironic inversion of "antiqueness"; making a (arguably) fast car out of the most unlikely raw material. Hence emphasizing the brass-era spindliness which the Hallcraft wires also pick up. The tube axle also allows for the sort of proportional shenanigans which went along with all this; most often in the form of a wider track.

A tube axle is easier to make, not so much in the sense of easier to productionize for a kit manufacturer as easier to make up one-off for a hot rod builder. I did some illustration work many years ago for a build series in a local magazine. One issue contained a full how-to on building your own tube axle. As I remember it didn't have welded-on batwings, but round-bar bosses for various functions. The location was by four-bars and Panhard bar, with spherical rod-ends bolted directly to the axle bosses.

Hnstray likes this.
  21. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-7-18_4-38-49.png
    A great photo shot by C. Ryan Mac on Shelter Island, San Diego Bay, facing the downtown as background. Thanks Jim Reid, Prowlers of San Diego for the photo.

Hey B,

The round axles were used for some resemblance of streamlining over the curved surfaces. But, there were a lot of I beam axles around with set ups already in place for roadsters and Ts. Just buy, clean up, paint, and bolt on...that was the set up to get your hot rod, up and running. There were a ton of variations of each, with the addition of holes to lighten the front end of any of the cars. Strength? It was hit or miss with intelligent drilling without going overboard.
    upload_2018-7-18_4-41-1.png
    But, in the 60s, the parts were there, complete or otherwise. In the 70s, it exploded, up to today’s modern chassis companies offering all sorts of choices.

Jnaki

upload_2018-7-18_4-41-56.png

But to throw a wrench into the matter, here is a photo from a HAMB reader from Ohio with an unusual axle.
    upload_2018-7-18_5-1-43.png

Ron Funkhouser and Blues4U like this.
  22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

^^^That axle gives me the 'Willys'! Oh, that's probably 'cuz it IS a Willys...

dana barlow likes this.
  23. I used a tube on my Center Door

IMG_0930.JPG

On the Coupe I built I used an I beam.
    IMG_0233.JPG

24. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

History of the early influential/famous cars AND because most t-buckets had a suicide front end allowing any degree of lowering desired without dropping the axle...most 28-34 Fords come out too high with undropped tube, and dropping a Ford tube is not an easy problem.

Moriarity likes this.
  25. Loose Ctrl

Loose Ctrl
    from Upstate,SC

Pretty much cause they're cheap, easy, and look good most of the time. If I was building a steel car, P/U, or RPU it would have an old I beam axle. I prefer them. I like the way they look.

26. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I like them with tube axles in the rear as well. IMG_2602.JPG

dana barlow, rooman, RICH B and 4 others like this.
  27. Budget36

Budget36

I always figured it flowed well with the exhaust, sorta tying things together.

28. Loose Ctrl

Loose Ctrl
    from Upstate,SC

That is one spartan looking rear. I do like that torsion bar set up and those brackets for the pins. At least those look like hairpins.

29. clem

clem

I always thought that the T’s had a narrower track width so the later Ford’s looked too wide, hence the manufactured tube axle.
    Interesting comments above, nice to hear the more likely reasons behind this.

twenty8 likes this.
  30. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

They are hairpins, this is what the front looks like. IMG_2617.JPG

Loose Ctrl and clem like this.