Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949-1951 Mercury Experts - Cowl Plate Decodes and General Facts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950merc, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Jenkkiauto

Jenkkiauto
    from Finland

2. thanks! almost decoded but the engine code- 0cb 0-1950 c-255 ci" engine but the B is possibly "overdrive"? anyone?

3. kiwi nz

kiwi nz

Hi guys can any one help me here ..i need to get info on 1949 mercurys.Are the four door sedans and the convertibles do they have the same chassis's

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

According to my 1949-51 Mercury Manual the complete sedan and coupe frames weighed 243 pounds. The convertible complete frames weighed 332 pounds. I am not sure what the word "complete" includes as the weight difference is not explained. However, I have always been told that the convertible frames were made "heavier" to compensate for the convertible top. I did notice that the X-frame of my 51 Merc. convertible has a thicker pieces of steel welded to it as shown in photos. Also, the 49 Merc transmission support 8M5059 was welded in place while on later years it was bolted in place. It appears to me that the frames were the same except for minor design differences such as attachment brackets for the E-brake. Also, the 51 Merc convertible used steel body mount biscuits instead of rubber to help eliminate body flexing. Not sure if 49-50 Merc converts also did the same. In the last photo you can see the "Convertibles Only" frame to body mount shown in the pictorial drawings. Since there were also the extra holes for another frame to body mount in the OEM frame, I replaced the OEM frame to body bracket (located behind the spring hanger) with one I made and installed the original OEM frame to body bracket in the other set of holes you see in the diagrams for additional strength. Hope this helps some one.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  5. kiwi nz

kiwi nz

Cheers your help 19Fordy

6. Aussiepete.

Aussiepete.
    from Australia

Great info bumping it in 2018. Does anyone know what the trim code 60 is in a 51 merc

Sent from my SM-G925I using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Aussiepete. likes this.