Register now to get rid of these ads!

pics for Cushenberry Matador fans (not AMC)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikes51, May 30, 2004.

1. mikes51

mikes51

Some pics from Paso. Does anyone know if this is was the clone, or the real thing resurrected from the fire?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I changed the post title so all you true matador fans wouldn't be disappointed. [​IMG]

2. Mojo

Mojo

I've always loved that car, because in my opinion it's the pinnicle of early-60's full customs.

I believe that the original was rescued and restored. I'm pretty sure there's a article about it in Custom Rodder, probably about 1994 or 95. If I remember right, it was a complete rust-out besides having fire damage. Unfortunately, it was slightly "updated", with a SBC and some other stuff.

There's also a clone, and I think that is it. I notice it doesn't have the "pod headrest" on the rear deck, like the original did.

Wasn't that car originally blue before it became famous?

3. hatch

hatch
    from house

Murphy and The Striper redid the rusty burned and smashed original...I have all the Custom Rodder issues and sometimes look back to see some real dedicated carguys doing what they do best. I love stock forties...but...that car rocks.

4. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

El Matador was also MY favorite early kustom! [​IMG]

Even if that IS a clone car...it's every bit as cool!

Thanks for postin' the pic! [​IMG]

5. haring

haring

I seem to also remember reading an article about the original car being restored, but I wouldn't want to spread any untruths -- I can't recall where I saw the article.

Yes, the car was original sprayed a medium metallic blue.

-don

6. Machinos

Machinos

Yep, I remember reading about how it was restored and stuff in an R&C issue from the last couple years.

What's the dash from?

7. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

OK,i personally know Harold Murphy & Mike"TheStriper" Yes the Original burned to the ground. Harold bought the car and restored it.the original is a site to see i have gone to Harold`s shop when he brings the car out.DAMN that thing is KOOL.yes that is a clone in that picture in the first post but like the original it takes alot of work either way!!!if you cant build one like that or even remotely close, then who are you to judge, i am a little sick and tired of some people who post here have a lot to say about everything but cant show for themselves.if they spent 1/4 of the time on an actual car that they do on here bashing they may have a car to talk about....Sorry about the rambling,I had to get that of my chest!!!! [​IMG]

8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Yep, that's the clone. The original is still in West Palm Beach and still owned by Harold Murphy. The summer, 1993 Custom Rodder, Vol. 3 mag has a big write up with plenty of photos showing it's ressurection after Murphy bought the rusty burned out hulk and brought it back to life.( I am rereading the article right now.) [​IMG]

9. Missing Link

Missing Link

JEEZUZ CHRYST MANG! I thought you were talking about AMC's! [​IMG] I was about half a beer from rippin' you a new one! [​IMG] Then my slow ass computer loaded up and I saw the pic's and realized my stupidity...thanks for posting those pic's btw. The matador is one of my favorites also. [​IMG]

10. John B

John B

[ QUOTE ]
    If I remember right, it was a complete rust-out besides having fire damage. Unfortunately, it was slightly "updated", with a SBC and some other stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be wrong but I believe the update on the restoration included a SBF from a Mustang. It's been a while since I read the articles in Custom Rodder but I recall seeing the pictures of before the resurrection took place. Not only did it have fire damage but the building had also gave in on it as well.

11. AssGasket

AssGasket

yeah, where's the AMC's, man...???

12. Murphy's original Matador shows up once in a while down here, I've seen at Old Town a few times and the Goodguys show when it was in Orlando. It's amazing. I haven't read the article in a few years, after it burned, did a tree or a barn fall on it?

If you knew somebody that had never seen a picture of that car, and you described it to them and told them what had been done to it, they would "ewwwww", but it's just "right". my $0.02

13. Yeah Murph and The Striper were performimg miracles on that re do...if someone has that article I think most who see it will not belieive that the conition the car was in -it could be saved- THATS TRUELY VISION on their parts!!!!!!!I was in AWE of their resurection of a nearly worthless burned /badly warped and badly rusted hulk they bought.
    THEY ARE TO BE ADMIRED FOR THIER EFFORTS.
    THAT CLONE IS VERY NICE BY THE WAY. [​IMG]

14. Mojo

Mojo

I've always wondered if someone measured pics or something to build the clone... it looks abolutely right on. And judging from the complex shapes involved, it's a hell of a achievement!

15. williebill

williebill

Mojo,seems like I read a while back that the builder of the clone talked to Cushenberry about how/what he did.Don't know when Cushenberry died,but the clone has been around for a while...Also my favorite modified 40 Ford,with the 39 Bonneville Bomber a close second.

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

I saw the "El Matador" back in 1962 when it was in New York City, just found the show program. Original engine was an Oldsmobile, cost to built was $7,000.00

Attached Files:

17. Dago Red

Dago Red
    from Delaware

[ QUOTE ]

Wasn't that car originally blue before it became famous?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a picture of the car in Andy Southard's Custom Cars of the 1950s with the left quarter painted candy green, which led some people to believe that Cushenbery had considered painting it something other than red. I subsequently read a quote from Bill somewhere saying that the car was always going to be red. He was just fooling around with the green paint, seeing how it looked before he painted someone else's car that color. There was a similar '40 coupe, sectioned, unchopped with quad headlights that was painted blue. I'm pretty sure Cushenbery built that one too (the name of that car was something like "Les PoPo". There's a picture of it in Barris Kustoms of the 1950s.

grifcarnut likes this.
  18. mikes51

mikes51

Thanks for posting the program pic. It answered a queston I had. I couldn't recall if the name was The Matador or El Matador.

I can see a big difference in the Crest design by the rear of the hood. I should have taken a better pic of the clone in that area. It almost looks like a Ferrari logo on the clone.

19. Justin B

Justin B

sorry the pics so blurry, here's how a for sale add reads from the july 63 issue of hot rod.

-sell-el matador-bill cushenbery's fabulous forty in top show condition, just completed national tour. only those seriously interested. $5,000. no trades. promotions inc., show car division, 2----2 woodside dr harper woods 36 michigan

just thought you guys would get a kick out of it

Attached Files:

20. rons cars

rons cars
    from arizona

that is the clone. I know the man that built the clone.He is Terry Jones from Globe Az. It called the Matador 2. There are shuttle differances.One is the frenched license plate and antenna . It also has wipers were the original did not have any. There are other differences in suspension and motor .

21. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Don`t forget, after being caught on fire and the building falling on it, it sat outside in Florida in the salty ocean air for it to rust.

22. 2004 says thank you!

Moriarity likes this.
  23. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I have always thought that the 40 was a beautiful car stock, and it is hard to improve the looks of that car. However i have always loved the looks of the Matador. The proportions are right, and it is a truely beautiful car

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. Elrod

Elrod

Found this great footage of The Matador at a car show in Dallas in 1961.

lurker mick and chryslerfan55 like this.