Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flaming river turn signal switch (steering column) problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eric Matwey, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Eric Matwey

Eric Matwey

Hi everyone,
    I installed a flaming river steering column. I hooked up the wires to the steering column as reccomended. I checked each old wire from the car, and they matched up with the labels on the new column.
    How I wired the new column;
    Black-horn ground to FR horn
    Light blue two wires-left front turn signal to FR left turn
    Dark blue two wires-right front turn signal to FR right turn
    Grey - fromdash lights, and instrument lights, not used on Flaming river column
    Purple-Turn signal 12v switched by ignition switch
    Yellow-left rear turn signal to FR left rear turn
    Green-right rear turn to FR right rear turn
    White-brake light power to brake switch
    MY PROBLEM is that the turn signals do not work through the steering column, but will work if I hook the battery to their wires after the steering column. Also, the brake switch turns on all four corner lights, and both the dash turn signal lights (not flashing). I am getting 12v switched into the steering column by the purple wire, but I am getting no power out when flicking the turn signal switch. I did not hook up the FR Brown wire which should go to 12v constant for the 4 way emergency flashers.
    Any advice?
    Thank you

2. You need to tell us what kind of car your working on. Sounds GM but not sure.

3. Have you touched base with Flaming River?

Do you have a flasher wired into the system? It takes one for turn signal s and one for flashers. The turn signal flasher as hot on one side from the ACC terminal in the ignition switch, the other side goes to the purple wire as in a GM system,

4. Verify the switch is working and that the wires are identified correctly.... https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/turn-signal-wiring-how-to.869492/

And don't get married to the wiring colors. I can't tell you how many times the 'mistake' was assuming that wiring colors are right. And it may not be the case for you, but color-blindness (in various degrees depending on the person) can enter into it.

5. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Check the hazard flasher, make sure it is fully seated.

6. goldmountain

goldmountain

From what I read, it seems like the 4-way switch is pulled to the on position and the flashers are wired wrong. The 12v input should go through the flasher.

7. Eric Matwey

Eric Matwey

Thank you.
    It is a 1966 chevrolet chevy II.
    It does not have a flasher wired in (and the fuse block does not have electrical terminals in the fuse block at the plug for the flasher, just holes in the plastic, no metal terminals), but I temporarily made a circuit with jumper wires, 12v from the battery, and connected to the wires leading to the the turn signal lights, after the steering column ( wires out of steering column going to turn signal bulbs) and the bulbs in the dash, and in at the turn signals worked fine.
    The purple wire going into the steering column is getting 12v when the ignition switch is on. It comes directly form the ignition switch.

8. Eric Matwey

Eric Matwey

gldmountain you were right! I had the 4 way emergency flasher on! In is on!
    Today was one of those days, chasing a problem only to the find the solution right in front of your face! Thank you everyone! This is the most helpful forum, with the most knowledgeable members!

F&J likes this.
  9. goldmountain

goldmountain

You're welcome. Wish everything was this easy.