Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features To chop or not

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sponge, Jul 11, 2018.

1. If your young or short, chop it. Old or tall, NO !

wicarnut likes this.
  2. ?el’nochopino? ....Spanish

DeLuxe 32 and sponge like this.
  3. Yes 28 & No 22, pretty even! But what do you like? You've got the picture that you took and the picture that is photoshopped, step up and be a man... make up your own mind!
    B.t.w., what color do you think that I should paint my wheels?

56 ford custom and Tomincanada like this.
  4. rocknwrench

rocknwrench

you said you couldnt make up your mind , si I say dont. Theyll still sell portaband blades 6 months from now.

5. 3blapcam

3blapcam

That made me laugh out loud... seriously.

Thanks!

3blap.

Jet96, akoutlaw and DeLuxe 32 like this.
  6. clem

clem

Won’t matter what you do,
    Leave it stock height,
    Mild chop,
    Severe chop,
    Every option will give a stunning car.

Some cars look better chopped, some better stock height.
    But with yours, any way will work.

If you want it easier to make a decision - don’t build such a nice car. :)

7. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

anthony myrick likes this.
  8. not chopping a model A is like pooping and not wiping

just doesn't make sense

I hope I get to chop the last one

Jet96, Jibs, green73 and 3 others like this.
  9. If you do, just take 3/4" to 1" out of it. That will scratch some heads.

10. banjorear

banjorear

LOL!

11. 32partsguy

32partsguy
    from DFW,Texas!

I went 2" back in October. Wash at Open House 2017-4.jpg Wash Dec 2017-1.jpg

Jet96, Chavezk21, Hank37 and 5 others like this.
  12. speedy pete

speedy pete

Do what works best for you. Both your back and eye. 20141223_135327_zpsyrrfrpvm.JPG I went stock because of three back surgeries. I can't sit with my legs out straight.

Jet96 likes this.
  13. GeeRam

GeeRam

This is exactly why my 32 3w is staying unchopped.........as much as I'd prefer to chop it, I want to be able to drive it, and I simply wouldn't physically be able to if it was chopped (or channelled)

So, chop it if you're short and/or young :cool:

14. Chop it 5" that's the ticket for "A"'s

m.ralph likes this.
  15. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wasn't going to comment on the two posts above but I have changed my mind. I am neither young nor short. I am 6'3", I am 73 years old, and I weigh 300 lbs, so that makes me Old, Tall and Fat. I also have my share of physical problems, due to an injury while I was in the military I have very little deflection in my right leg, it just don't bend very far. Getting in and out was a problem, so I went looking for a solution. Fixed it to as I suicided the doors. This allowed me to set down butt first and slide back enough to get my leg in. My model A is chopped 6" and is very comfortable to drive. As a matter of fact it is a pleasure to drive, and I do that as much and as often as I possible can. Went to breakfast 67 miles (one way) this morning in it.

These old blanket statements just don't always apply. If you don't want a chop then hell don't chop the thing. That is no reason to come up with reasons and excuses for why it won't work. It will work just got to get it done sometimes.

bowlingball and Jet96 like this.
  16. if hotrods were supposed to be comfortable, guys would have raced couches and recliners back in the day

Jet96, clem, Muttley and 1 other person like this.
  17. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Looks fine unchopped. I had a tudor chopped 5 1/2 inches.It looked awesome but you couldn't see traffic lights without hunching over and getting in and out was a pain...even with a quick release steering wheel. I've got a sedan delivery now, stock height.

18. Only one problem with your argument, You have a Tudor, you would be totally screwed in a coupe. I have had both mainly because I had to get rid of the coupe body so I could fit into a tudor with the same chop and channel 3" / 3". The OP has a coupe so I'll stand by what I said.

19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

All great looking cars, but none of them "better" than the OP's car looks with no chop. Different, for sure, but not better. With as good as this looks, as I posted before, he would be a fool to chop it.
    [​IMG]

exterminator likes this.
  20. artificer64

artificer64
    from maine

I am with the two inch crowd. That's what I want for mine. IMG_20170513_191037_burst_01.jpg

21. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Leave it unchopped, put a hood on it, then flame the hell out it with old style flames, not those real looking ones.

Jet96 likes this.
  22. That car is 4 1/2” too tall

banjorear, Muttley and akoutlaw like this.
  23. Youdeg chopded un car ya?........Swedish

24. belair

belair

Give it a haircut. And paint the engine orange.

25. -Brent-

-Brent-

Interesting how we're all different, isn't it? I think all three look better and it isn't because of the chop. ALL three have a stance and wheel/tire combo that looks right with the chop. This car doesn't.

@Chris Casny left out THE best unchopped A coupe on a 32 chassis - period. It also happens to reside in that Austin neck of the woods.

DW's Austin Mangler.jpg

Jet96, HunterYJ, treb11 and 4 others like this.
  26. pigfluxer

pigfluxer

Chop it , but keep the metal cut out with the car always .

chriseakin and dan31 like this.
  27. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'm not into criticizing other people's cars on the forum, it's bad form. But since you brought it up as an example of the "best", it may just be the angle of the picture, but the radiator shell looks to be sitting about 2 - 3 inches too high, so if you follow the line from the cowl it hits the radiator shell about 2 - 3 inches down. And again, it might just be the angle of the picture, but the rear wheel doesn't look centered in the wheel well. Take a look at the OP's car again, he nailed both of those things. My apologies to the owner of the car, no offense intended. Just pointing out some things with the OP's car that help make it look as good as it does. And you do realize it is a project, right? Not a finished car. If there's one thing off, it's that the bottom rung of the hairpin should be parallel to the ground, this one is sloping down as it goes forward.

Really, I'm not anti-chop at all, I usually would be on the "chop it" bandwagon. And I have no connection to the OP at all. I just think he's nailed the look just as it is.

28. guy1unico

guy1unico

Big dumb move to chop it.
    There are enough of them around.

29. Rustridden31

Rustridden31
    from Denver, CO

Always chop, Always!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

m.ralph, akoutlaw and Flameded like this.