Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Desoto 4x2 intake manifold

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by kyle ashworth, Jul 14, 2018.

1. kyle ashworth

kyle ashworth

I'm looking for a 4x2 intake manifold for a 330 desoto like the Weiand or vintage speed intakes they used to make, anyone on here have or know of one available?
    Thanks for any help or leads

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  2. silent rick

silent rick

i had one for the low deck 291 desoto. i'm not aware of any for the tall decks

3. town sedan

town sedan

The intake I think he's talking about was the intake Charlie Price at Vintage Speed use to catalog. Just checked his site out and there's no listing for it any more.

I have never seen, but have heard that Weiand did have a 4x2 intake that could be drilled for either the low deck Desoto, or the tall deck Dodge.
    -Dave

4. kyle ashworth

kyle ashworth

Hi Rick, they were different between the low and tall deck, as far as I have found not many were produced for the tall deck desoto but there were a few, I would also like to know if an adapter could be or has been made to make any other hemi 4 deuce intakes work on a tall deck desoto

5. kyle ashworth

kyle ashworth

Hi Dave, correct they do not list them anymore but have been a couple on Ebay recently, was thinking an adapter could be made to make these work on the desoto tall deck as it seems the 4 deuce intakes for the tall deck are very rare and hard to find

6. silent rick

silent rick

i had a weiand intake. i never had a tall deck dodge but from what i was told, yes, you could redrill the intake and bolt it on but the ports didn't line up exactly and needed a lot of work. remember the desoto is longer than the dodge with wider port spacing.

i do have a weiand 4x2 for a 241 270 low deck dodge. i'm not sure if it can be used with spacers on tall decks.

7. silent rick

silent rick

another thing to remember, the desotos had coolant running through the intake where dodge and chryslers were dry

8. kyle ashworth

kyle ashworth

Hi Rick, thanks I will look into weather the dodge intake could be used with an adapter with the extra water jacket. Like you said it all depend on the ports lining up as they are a fair bit different in location. Thanks for your input and help

9. silent rick

silent rick

you're limited on choice of intakes with the tall deck. have you considered a 6x2 log style intake or the factory dual quad?

10. kyle ashworth

kyle ashworth

Yes I have found that out about the tall decks, I am looking at the hells gate 3x2 intake kit with an extra carb mount as I am wanting to run four 97's inline.. the main issue with that intake is it's overall height as I'm wanting to keep the bonnet on top- the desoto is going in a model A high boy..this is why the vintage speed and Weiands would be first choice

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

You could do this. Pretty traditional parts. and some uniqueness 28951043_10211552843287333_2268445264383574016_n.jpg to.

12. kevin31

kevin31
    from ottawa

[​IMG]

I converted a 2x4 manifold to 3x2, wanted a 4x2 but it just wasn’t going to happen, not many options

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Hollywood-East likes this.
  13. Hombre

Hombre

Not a problem to run a short deck manifold on a tall deck motor, On the motor pictured a 330 tall deck Desoto I made the spacers to run a short deck manifold in just a day with a die grinder and some aluminum plate. It will take a little time and a little work but it works just fine.
    Misc Dawg and Brakes 059 (Small).jpg zzaszzx1 (Medium).jpg

14. rgrhoward

rgrhoward

Bringing back an old thread. Do you have any more photos of this setup?

15. 3ARDUN2

3ARDUN2

RichFox,Wondering if the two part intake with the cut down flathead intake top piece was made for an Ardun or a Chrysler product HEMI.

16. 3ardun ,
    Sorry man,,,,,Richfox passed away not too long ago .
    He was a real talent ,,,,,gonna be missed !

Tommy

17. sdroadster

sdroadster

My Desoto had a 2x2 Edmunds intake on it. I made adapters to use Stromberg 94's. The car is long gone, and disappeared. .jpg

Hombre and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  18. dart4forte

dart4forte
    from Mesa, AZ

Thought about it for my 241

Attached Files: