Register now to get rid of these ads!

REAL Mullins trailers...Who's got one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40 & 61 Fords, Oct 9, 2008.

1. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've had mine since the early 80s. It was a Kansas game and parks trailer in the late 30s and early 40s. I pulled it behind a couple of deuce 2 drs in the 80s and 90s. Now buried in the back of the storage shed waiting for a new life.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  2. mj40's

mj40's

Talk about a Gay Trailer! I had a bumper sticker on the back of my tear drop trailer that said “Take Your Rod Out and Play With It". All was well until I was using it on a family vacation behind my family car and it took on a whole new meaning. I had a lot of people looking at me when passing me by. Woops!

3. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Hot Rod Guy, I like your rig. That Mullins looks right at home behind the 37.
    Mine is 50% original. Glass body, gennie frame, axle, hitch. Spotted a barn find at the Pueblo run last summer, faded & worn but solid. Unfortunatly not for sale.

4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I have a repop on my want list... for xl trips. But I have to figure a way to put a dropped axle on the thing so I can see over it! Gary

5. t-buckethead

t-buckethead
    from texas

this one i scored today for 950.its replica but it will work

Attached Files:

6. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

I think i heard somebody in wisc. Is repoping the bodys , heard you could buy in pieces or a kit.

7. superior in oregon is repopin them

8. uncle buck

uncle buck

Glad I could help.

9. MMM RED

MMM RED

Is that you Murray??
    ...Jay

10. I don't have one but have repaired one !

Attached Files:

11. 36tbird

36tbird

So, the originals had a tail-gate? I'm guessing that the tent top works with that for sleeping purposes, right? In other words, will a tent top work on a fiberglass repop? Inquiring minds want to know.

12. The early repops didn't have a working tailgate,,but they can be cut and modified to work. HRP

13. bscottstudio

bscottstudio
    from Kansas

We have an original one that we use. Stand by for pics and the reasons

14. 33Tudor

33Tudor

This was on display at the Petersen museum last year.

Attached Files:

15. bscottstudio

bscottstudio
    from Kansas

okay sorry for the delay here are pictures of why they are as important as the pockets on your pants. This is our real 1936 mullins #1036. They all have a serial # Tag from factory.
    This as you can see from pics is a very valuable tool for families who travel together. The pictures are from Florida to Colorado and trips in between.
    I hope the pictures indicate that it allows my family the freedom to travel and haul our stuff. Its a minor inconvenience for the fun factor of taking my kids and now grandkids.
    Plus its alot cooler than a streeter dicks coca cola trailer .

Attached Files:

16. MMM RED

MMM RED

That is sooo cool!! I just bought a trailer with a # 1040. I will be towing it behind a 23 T roadster p/up and my BMW Mcoupe.
    ...Jay

Oops..Edit...My # is 1047. Too many Bubbly last nite.

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  17. Hi! I’m BigDTexasKid, I found my Original 1936 Mullins All Steel Mullins Trailer at the 1981 Street Rod National in Columbus, Ohio. The Guy was From New Orleans, LA. Very Nice Original Steel Body & Tailgate. Modified, Trailer Hitch. It had 6- Lug Chevy Hubs, With late 49’s Chevy Pickup Wheels. When I came upon it, I saw that it had only One all Steel Mullins Hub cap. But had 2- Chevy S/S late 40’s chevy Trim Rings. I took pictures, & waited a Couple hours for the Oener to come Back to his 1937 Chevy 2-Door Sedan Street Rod. We talk a Little while, Very Nice Cajon! I then, ask if he lost his Hub Cap, then we learned someone had Stole it off the Trailer! Before this as we had talked about, was his trailer for Sale? He said that it was, he ask me what I’d pay for the Trailer? I told him , I pay $700.00. I’d come down to New Orleans to Pickup it up. He was very Upset that the Hub cap was stolen off the trailer & the NSRA Nationals! So, the week after, I called to ask that was it still for Sale. As, I didn’t want to take advantage of his Bad Situation. He said that he’d been thinking about selling the Trailer, so he followed thru the Sale. I’m from Dallas, Rx. It took 10 hours to get to New Orleans. So, with expenses to travel & Motel Room. I had $100.00 more Dollas in the Trailer! Total was $800.00.I purchased Jerry Jennedy’s Trailer Tent for $194.00, best deal! Tent fit Great, it has 2 Side Screen Net windows With spill Strings, to close up the Flaps. It has a Big Brss Zipper Close Open tge Front Openiing. I took it to the 1982 Pate Swap meet, behind my 1976 Chevy 1/2 Tin Stepside Pickup. It had Bucket Seats & Factory Console. So, I’m going to sleep in the Trailer for 4 Days. I got there on a Tuesday afternoon, as I was Drivibg in, There’s always a Big crowd to see, what’s coming in.at the Front Gate. I had People, that was following me, & I didn’t know where my Space was Located. There’s 6-8 Guys, trying to talk about buying the Trailer! I told them, it’s not for Sale! Oh! You”ll seale that Trailer! I said (HELL NO! ) We’ll Why did you bring it out here, then! I told them, that I’m going to sleep in it for 4-Days! They all Laugh! I’m 6’ ft 2” in. & weighed 300 lbs. so, I commed back Down. They didn’t know about me having a Tent or my Beach Air Bag Floats. So, I did sleep in my Trailer, this was Late May, it was cool at Nite, for Texas! I had a Radio & Small portable TV. It sprinkled a little at one Nite. Tent was dry & Tight, No leaks! So, I’d joined the Mullins Owner Club in 1981, till I think in 2008 or so, I’d dropped out of the Club. Mike & Bob are & were the Greatest people! Mike Passed away & Bob moved to McKinney, Tx. & continued tge Club for several Years by himself. The Book about Mullins Trailers is Fantastic! They Documented the History if the Mullins Company & meet tge Engineer & Designer of the Trailer! The Gentlemen was in his late 80’s, he didn’t know about tge Club, not how the Trailer was Popular with Families & Hot Rodder’s going to Nationa Car Meets all over Smerica! My Trailer was built Serial #1966 in 1936. The Company’s Serial #’s Started at 1,000. I believe there was Serial # around 4,300. So, that’s about 3,300 Built.,But, tge Club has been taken over by a Very Nice man, from Arkansas. I meet & Talk to him at tge Pate Swap Meet. I took information to get back into the Club, the Vlassified ads are very helpful. I purchased a Complete Rusty Frame, With Good Hitch, Ford
    5-1/2 Hubs, Ford Kelsey-Hays Artillery Wheel, Original Minature Railroad Steel Rails For the Axle. Original Steel Springs, & Frame Hangers. I think I Paid $325.00 or Less. I work as a LTL over the Road Truck Driver for Roadway Express Company! If, course I got a BIG Discount for working there! My trailer had the Stock Steel Tail Light , & Steel Left Hand Light Stand. One nice Mullins Hub cap,found a Spare Hub cap. It was in a Steve Davis’s 20 acre pasture on a 1937 Chevy Panel Delivery. I found it while it was Big Rainy Texas Thunderstorm! I found thru my friend Grumpy George Owens, a Very Rare Mullins Factory Steel Plate, Spare Ture Cailkier. Has a Steel Folding front Door With turnbuckle Hinges. The Backend was Rounded, The Middle Top & Lower Bottom has a Rolled X Beaded in 1/4 Steel Plate.,This was Made at tge Mullins Factory. The trailer that it was taken off had Custom Options in this Trailer. That trailer was well used by that owner. The Trailer Steel Tube Stand, was Folded up & Locked into the Turnbuckle Locking hinge. The Front Face Plate had a 180 degree’s Cup Metal, that the Tauker Pole Stand fut in, when traveling. The only thing, that’s missing on the trailer, is the sheet metal Die Stamped inside Covers, to keep water coming inside tge Trailer. These are tge 1935/1936 Ford Humpback sedan Lid Chrome Locking Latches. So, if anybody’s got a Pair if those cover. I need a Pair. Thsnks BigDTexasKid P.S. I love my Original Trailer & the Fiberglass Copy. That Tom Bay, had used to make repo Mullins Trailer. Has Folding tailgate Lid.? Thats why I purchased that stock Mullins Trailer Frame.

18. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

Cool little trailers with history. Whats not to like. All steel, I don't do fiberglass anything. P1010052.JPG