Register now to get rid of these ads!

"That's a cute dune buggy"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Zenor, Jan 18, 2006.

1. DrJ

DrJ

Then you'll get "What's an Itsa? Is that one of them Eye-talian jobs?"

I get;
    "What is that?"
    "It's an MG."
    "Who makes MG's?"
    "MG makes MG's..."
    "But?"
    "OK, It's short for Morris Garage."
    "Is that Eye-talian?"

2. Not only that, the last US Pontiac delivery was in '54, Canada got them through '57 or '58 but they're extremely rare cars, and the goofy ones with the Chevy engines and underframes.

Or is that nitpicking, Seattle is pretty close to Canada.....

I emailed a seller on eBay about their truck and they seemed to be clueless about it. an S10 with candy apple red paint, it had been rearended enough to knock the bumper off and put a wrinkle in the gate and the bed side, so they had it in the parts cars section. I never did get an answer on if it had a title, or if it was the TBI 2.8 in it. They didn't even post an underhood photo. So I guess it runs both ways.

Oh yeah. Ran a listing for a '60 Caddy hearse, got one question "THe car is not a 60, I believe that it is a 59 or so...I had a 60, they do not have the dual tail lights or the gas tank filler in the rear as your pictures..." - there is no question it's a '60, has '60 grille, '60 taillights, '60 registration and '60 serial number. I had some other chucklehead wanting to know if it could be driven 200 miles - the car's been sitting in a field for like 8 years, I wouldn't drive it anywhere without all new brake lines, master and wheel cylinders.

3. Okay Now I'm on the floor laughing
    This is probably the funniest thred ever!

When I started driving my Chevy back in '95 I didn't have time to finnish the bodywork, so the car was basicly: Welded, grind the welds and shoot a coat of rattle can black'n flames of whatever brand they had at the local gas station. So agreed it didn't look nice. I was filling up the gastank when this very angry older man came over to me and asked me If I build this car? When I said yes, blew he up on me asking, why the %*#^@ I'd cut up such a nice Cadillac? When I told him that it wasn't a Cadillac, he replied even more angry, that any idiot could see that this is a Cadillac! Well I replied, maybe that's the reason, I'm not a idiot so I don't have that problem, the front bumper is from a Cadillac that's true, but that dosen't mean that the rest of the car is! He turned around mad as hell and left.

I think the most common remark is: Hey look that's the car from grease!
    Number 2 will be: When are you going to paint your car? - Well since the car is not in bare metal, I guess there's some kind of paint on it, right?

4. hotrodchick

hotrodchick

My husband and I took our Model A Lakes Modified roadster to a show (hosted by a local car club) last summer, and had a great time. At the awards portion, we were hopeful, as we'd heard lots of positive comments all day. The last couple of trophies were coming, and we thought we had a lock on "Best Ford" but apparently a Camaro was a better ford than ours. Go figure!

5. 2002p51

2002p51

We get the "T bucket" thing or "track T' for our Model A modified all the time. And because its got a yellow and black '56 California plate on it one woman at a car show told her friends it was a ". . .'56 Ford."

But what really cheezes me is the people who SHOULD know better. Like one time we were at a nostalgia drag race. There was a '72 Pro-Stock style Vega there and all day, everytime it came to the line, the idiot announcer would call it a Pinto!

6. Oh yeah, I love the unsolicited custom ideas... of the "if that was my car" variety.

"that would look bitchin' with a body kit" (of a '66 Riviera)

"that would look cool with tribal flames" (of a '59 Impala)

"Does it hop?" (of everything, including an T modified)

7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

the old standard,

what year is it?
    "2006"

seems everbody has to guess what motor it is
    few, like almost none, get it right or even close.
    "Studebaker"

8. spicoli

spicoli
    BANNED
    from in a house

i will keep this one quick. i just purchased a '62 pontiac tempest and i brought it to a few of my friends, that own their own shops who have never seen the slant 4 cylinder engine in their life. as i was pulling away from one shop a guy walking down the street says to me "i haven't seen one of those in years", i being polite said "i just bought it", he replied "what year is your corvair?" guess the factory did not make the letters that spell out PONTIAC across the hood big enough. he continued down the street and left me scratching my head at the ignorance of america.

9. OLDSKEWL61

OLDSKEWL61

i HATE it when i get the "when you going to paint it" it is paint its just anit got no shine STUPID MULLETHEADS

10. Dirk35

Dirk35

Im still flattered by the sillyness (stupidity is really what I am thinking, but I am trying to be nice) of some people.

I stopped at a red light and two weeks ago in the 1935 PU, a construction guy working on a water line walks out into the street, practically climbs onto the truck, leans into my window to tell me how much he likes my truck and he needs to get to work on his. I was polite and thanked him, so he kept talking. I had to let him know I needed to leave when the light turned green, and he still had half his body in my window. He guessed it was a 42 Chevy and asked why I put a pick-up bed on the back of a car, but thought it was a neat idea. :) He was really suprised they made pick-ups back then!

Yes, the 1st question is "What color are you going to paint it?" 95% of the time.

I was still flattered.

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This thread rules!! REALLY some funny stuff here!! I've only got through half this thread so far and plan to read more later but wanted to comment about the "dune buggy" part.... It may have been brought up and I just haven't got to it yet, but according to an old guy here at work they REALLY DID make dune buggies out of Model T's and Model A's. He said he had several of them and they used to take them out to the desert and run them around. Maybe that's what some of those comments are all about...

Anyway, few for you...

We get the kit car, nice Model T, nice Deuce coupe, is it a VW Bug thing quite a bit. It's a 35 Ford coupe. Understandable, no big deal. I actually sort of enjoy it. It's amusing. The thing I really hate is when the gay little tuner cars pull up next to you and think they can burn rubber all over your ass...

Now, I've been working on this Model A sedan in my garage and it's basically all orginal at this point. I had the garage door up and these two kids on bikes road by. One commented to the other, WOW! Look at that old Model T! The other kid replied to the other kid as if he was a total idiot and said... "That's not a Model T, it has to be a Model A!! Probably a late 30's!" :eek: I was spraying my driveway down when they went by and I was so shocked I soaked my feet! Amazing! I think he was like 10 or something.

12. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

haha.... I hate when I had '53 Dodge caps on my car... I had a million people tell me they had a Dodge just like my '54 Ford. :confused:

13. repoman

repoman

Now that it's getting warmer her the 'normal' people are getting friendlier.

"That could be nice someday."

"Too bad it has a 327, maybe you can find the orginal 6."

"Too bad some idiot cut the dash up." (That would be me)

A few from my pops, he's the funniest:

"It needs a new muffler."

"You drove THAT car to the store? You're crazy!" (He thinks the 55 is a race car, and needs a trailer)

"I can't go in your truck, I have a bad back" (He said this without ever trying to get in the truck, a 1/2 ton truck with seats out of a 94 pickup)

"How is that thing going to pass inspection? Do you know somebody?"

The best was about 12 years ago. His old Dodge broke down, and he had to get somewhere, I worked in town, so he decided the best solution was to drive my car, and drop me at work, then go to his destination.

My car was a gutted 73 Firebird with a Nunzi 470 stroker, manual valve body TH400, big fuel system, the works. The car ran 118 in the quarter and pulled the fronts at least a foot. I tried to say no, then just gave up, and handed him the keys. The plastic seats were bolted to a frame I fit to my height.

"How do you adjust the seat?!"

He just got out and gave up.

I didn't even have to start explaining the array of switches on the dash, the trans, etc.

'How do you adjust the seat'? Are you fucking kidding me? That's the least of your problems, wait until you step on the gas and the world starts spinning all around you!

14. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

Pebble beach concours 2000-2 rich yuppies walking by Bruce Meyer,s 40 coupe saying that they should buy a deuce coupe like that one.

Bendigo swap meet Australia 1985-I,m driving my steel 32 roadster around on the way out the gate when some moron jumps on the running board while I,m moving and asks where to buy one of these glass bodies.Needless to say the conversation was over after I stopped the car and he picked himself up of the ground!

The weekend before this years roundup,I,m at the shop thrashing on the coupe,doors open,decklid open and gutted inside.This ' Steetrodder' walks up and asks if it is a Wescott body.OPEN YOUR EYES BEFORE OPENING YOUR MOUTH.

Finally,on the way back from the roundup this year, Some orange county choppers,west coast choppers,tatooed loser asked Ted who rode his Harley to Austin if his bike was a Triumph!!.Go back to watching TV you idiot!!!

15. KIRK!

KIRK!

Years ago I was driving my '52 Hudson Wasp and was pulling out of a driveway as a couple was walking down the sidewalk. The guys says "nice merc." I nicely replied "It's actually a Hudson." The guy keeps walking, telling his chick that I'm an idiot and that my car is a Mercury.

I'll never forget that guy. What a boob!

16. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

got some for you guys......

when i had three on the tree i pulled up to a gas station and circled twice before getting gas shifting thru the gears. a man walks up and goes, i think you need a new automatic. it aint supposed to shift like that.

another was a couple of young guys in a car while i was driving my very rusted no floor 53 chevy before it got totalled. the one says when you gonna fix it. so i reply yeahhhhh. and drive off. its as done as its getting.

JUNIOR

17. Hemi-roid

Hemi-roid
    from Cary, IL

This thread is the best. I spent over an hour reading every post!

I'm used to the "dune buggy" and "Munster mobile" comments, and usually just nod my head and smile. The little kids are cool, and I always let them sit in it.

We were at a car show at the local Sam's Club, and an old couple walked up to the front of my T-bucket. They looked for a minute, and the lady asked her husband "why is the motor sticking out like that?". He said in a very matter of factly tone that "it's not finished yet!" I almost fell out of my sling chair laughing.

I switched engines in the T in 2000, and replaced the 327 with a 392 Chrysler. I went to the local Trak Auto with a piece of heat riser tube shaped like the radiator hose I needed. I was walking down the aisle looking for the perfect match when the computer jockey from the front desk came over and asked why I didn't just look it up in the book. I played dumb and asked if he would help me. He said "Sure! What kind of car is it?" I told him it was a 1923 Model T with a 1957 Chrysler Hemi in it. Classic deer in the headlights look. I kept looking, and a few minutes later found the right hose.

18. The Anarkist

The Anarkist
    from Canada

I wonder how she'd have reacted if you told her the truth AND that Corvair WAS the original name for the Corvette?
    Nah, she'd never have seen the irony. LOL.

19. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

before i got married had kids and went broke,,,:rolleyes::D i used to drive my 70 amx all the time....i bet 50 people ask me what year my mustang was:mad: :D but the best i can recall is when me and a couple other members where at tin dusters in quincy il, when my bud p and i where drullin over a c-dan with a real nice flattie in her when this dink walked up with his bud and said,, thats a hemi!!! i sharted when he said that:eek: .....i have it on video and every time it gets to that part it makes me want to find this guy and slap him upside the head with a 69 camaro:mad: :D >>>>>.breeder:) pan s heres the car i was talkin about//////check out the 426:rolleyes: oooo, and the guy in the orange shrt is fellow member rp poundin one out on the bucket>>>>i think he will be buried in one when the time comes!!!!!:D

Attached Files:

20. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

im loving this thread, so i got a couple to add,

I was at the local cruise night talking to my friend about his 31 model a (its got a 48 flathead with all the goodies) and this guy (probably 19 years old) and his cute girlfriend come up and he starts to tell her about the Offy v-8 my buddies car has and how rare they are, i was laughing inside already when my buddy gives me the best eyeroll i have ever seen which makes me burst out laughing. The guy didnt looked to pleased that i was laughing at him so i had to turn and walk away laughing histerically.

another was at a cruise night and i went to check out a 68 camaro my buddy had done an alignment on (my buddy is a young mechanic that alot of guys take there cars to when they cant do certain things themselves ie. alignments) so my friend got to know the owner of the car pretty good, and he had told my friend that his son is a complete asshat when it comes to cars....so i walk over to this camaro to take a look and his son and his buddy are under the hood and as i walk up the son starts talking "well i had to order this hose from the states so it has the proper numbers on it..." he was trying to spit bullshit to try and make it look like it was his car. So i ask him "so this is yours eh?" he replies with "yeah its mine" so I ask "hmmm so where are the keys?" and he gets a blank look on his face and then answers "in his pocket" (pointing to his dad) so i say "yeah i thought so, do me a favour and stop taking credit for other peoples work you hack" he didnt have anything to say to that.

i can forgive ignorance but when someone starts spitting b.s. to try and impress people that gets under my skin

21. Brown Devil

Brown Devil
    from Mission Tx

When I had my chopped Model A coupe it was fenderless and black in color I would always get the munsters crap.When I had my '33 Vicky I would get the P T cruser crap.Now I have a '33 tudor painted flat black and I get the bad paint job crap.My conclusion is we are surrounded by idiots.

22. i remember reading this thread when it first started, lotta funny stories. recently a customer of mine called me and said he remembered i was into "old cars". he has this property he is selling and the buildings are all going to be torn down to make room for a couple of duplexes and he had this old dune buggy he thought i might be interested in. its been locked in this tiny garage for 30 years or so? he didnt remember. instantly this thread came to mind...oh man i may finally get a roadster. he couldnt remember when he purchased it, sometime in the early 70's maybe? late 60's? he said it was pretty much finished when he got it and only did a few mods. anyway he wasnt sure and said if i was interested to go ahead and meet him there. well i hooked up the trailer to the truck, grabbed my brother and off we went to load up my future hotrod. its been in this little garage for 30 years...well as you can see by the pics it was what he said it was, but i still thought it was kinda cool so i will pack it away in the barn for a future project.

edit:he hasnt found the title yet so i dont know what year it is. but those tail lights look like 69 or 70 to me.

Attached Files:

23. 40Tudor

40Tudor

Never thought I'd have something to add to this thread. Most people that comment seem to like my car and have a story about some similar car from their youth.

I was driving the 40 home from work last Friday and a guy driving a school bus (oddly enough, it was a short bus:D ) in the next lane at 40 mph yells out his window "Is that a period correct rat rod?" I just laughed.

I dunno if he was making fun of me or just stupid.:rolleyes:

24. repoman

repoman

Maybe Otto's was a HAMBer?

OT, I hate that they used the name Otto for the burnt bus driver. I use it for an alias in skiptracing. Sometimes it hard not to laugh when I call a debtor, identify myself as Otto, then have a very serious conversation about the 'investigation' I am conducting. Only once did I have an old punk rocker figure it out. We both had a laugh, then I took his car.

25. Here's mine: Driving my 36 3-window with my son and we run out of gas.(fixing guage is on my list) Call the wife to bring the lawnmower gas can. She shows up but not enough gas in the can to make a difference. I have a tow rope, so she pulls me off the busy street around the corner. One of her friends calls her later and says "I saw you towing that PT cruiser today"

26. Tetanus Shot

Tetanus Shot

i get the "nice merc" at least once everytime i drive my Hudson, it used to bother me but now i just laugh about it. clearly not a merc

27. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I coped some funny ones. When I first got my 38 I was still in the Army, when I went to register it on base the duty officer would not let it on base with the info I gave him, his reason.
    “It’s a Chevy, not a Ford because it’s RED!”
    Yup, the most dangerous thing known to man is an officer with a map.

I lost count of the number of people who liked my VW.

When I had my 32 I was pulled up at the lights. Young guy in a Nissan R34 pulls up, gives my car the once over and decides he can take me. I oblige with a short run off the lights, the car hooks up hard and carries the fronts off the line. I pulled into a car park of the shops I was going too ways down the road, he pulls in behind and jumps out.
    “Wow I didn’t think that vintage car would be so fast, it’s not original is it?”
    What could I say, full roll cage with semi funny car driver protection, blown injected 427 ford (no hood) 15 inches of rubber under it mid 8-second car on Methanol.
    “Umm, almost” I say.

Dragging home my latest project 28 RPU, just rescued from the paddock it had resided in for the last 50 years we pull into a service station to fill up. This young chick about 19 walks over and checks out the 28.
    “That thing looks old, with you gonna do with it?’
    I tell her I’m going to fix it up into a hot rod.
    “How old is it??’
    “1928 model’ I tell her
    The answer floored me and still makes me giggle,
    “They made cars that long ago?”

What can you say, good free entertainment.

Doc.

28. slo60

slo60

cg -- is that a manx on a bug frame-- interested in selling it?

keith

29. i dunno what it is yet. still havent gotten the paper work. not going to sell it yet. if i decided to go that route my son says he wants it, my brother wants it and a buddy of mine wants it. who knew these were that popular? i never see em on the streets anymore.