Register now to get rid of these ads!

More ? on Lathes

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by mr.chevrolet, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Homemade44

Homemade44

Here is a tip when buying equipment at auction from a place of business like a machine shop. The first place to go is to the foreman's office and see if there are file cabinets that have information on all of the equipment that is being auctioned. Many time the original manuals for the equipment is there. The auction companies don't care about seeing if there are manuals for the equipment that is auctioned. If you buy a piece of equipment make sure you ask to have the manual included in the sale if it exists.
    You can also bid on all of the office contents, usually very cheap and keep track of who buys what and sell them the manuals, the buyer will usually pay a good price for the manuals. In many cases you can get all of the money you paid for the office equipment and content with the sale of just a couple of the manual. Sometimes there is also tooling and some spare parts in the office that is overlooked. Money can be made buying office stuff.

Unkl Ian likes this.
  2. My son is a master machinist, his advice is go bigger, unless you know you are going to only do small stuff. The bigger will do the small stuff well, the small will limit you.....and when you get that special project that is JUST a little too big, you will kick yourself.

Enjoy the purchase and check local jr. college machining classes. They are usually at night and can make you really comfortable with the equipment (and they welcome older students with a desire to learn)

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

hey the sale was today, the logan went for $1800, the S.B. $525, I think the Cinncinnati went for around $800. no, I didn't buy anything.

4. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check out Ozark Tool Manuals , They offer a long list of How To operate machine tools and parts books covering several brands of manufactures . I just ordered a operator's manual for my Model A South Bend lathe that I've had for several years.

5. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

i'll keep that in mind if I ever get a machine. thanks.