Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Road Racing Hot Rods / Jim Busby

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by XKTbird, Jul 18, 2008.

1. XKTbird

XKTbird

O.K. .... I finally put 2+2 together (or is that Deuce plus Deuce!) .... The car must be the 'beezymobile' mentioned in a previous thread .... It's the 'Louis Special' that ran all of the Pebble Beach Road Races .... an Auburn body cut down .... on a Ford chassis .... runnin' a Flathead Ford .... beautiful! one part classic .... one part Hot Rod .... and one part Sporty Car .... the irony is that the father of my buddy's boss now owns the car .... I think he bought it a month after I started this thread! .... O'K', Art .... time to take me for a ride!!

and Pete1 .... killer '32! reminds me of the Balchowsky's BuFord (Buick-Ford) .... you should take it to Laguna Seca .... by the way, my friend Ed ran a Nascar race in Bremerton, WA circa 1957 .... I introduced him once by saying, "This is my friend Ed and he used to race stock cars against Parnelli Jones" .... Ed said, " I did? " .... then I told Ed that the Bremerton race was Parnelli's first Nascar win! .... he said they showed up with a semi loaded with spare parts like axles and such.

and one more .... there was a 'T' bucket that beat a Ferrari at the Seattle Seafair .... it later had a home-spun fiberglass sports car body on it and was featured in Hot Rod (55? 56?) but a couple years earlier, it raced as a 'T' .... now, who has pics of that one?

-Brian Weatherman -Redwood City, CA

2. XKTbird

XKTbird

Yes, that is the one! it is in good hands .... the current owner is a Ford nut .... maybe I will get a ride in it soon? .... beautiful lil' car!

3. A Boner

A Boner

There is a nice 8 page article in the Aug. 2013 issue of Hot Rod magazine of the Jim Busby 1932 road racing coupe.

Attached Files:

wingnutz likes this.
  4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

5. Jim and Rick Knoop gave me a personal tour of the shop and they were campaigning the old "Candies and Hughs" formula cars.

I was amazed of the provenance of the race cars he had accumulated.

Land speed... Dragsters... Road racers... as well as Hotrods.

6. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

About two years ago I stopped at a midas muffler managed by a friend of mine.sitting on a rack was a chassis with a Ford V-8 60 engine in it .I walked around the chassis a while and realized it was a Morgan! I spoke to the owner next day and he told me Morgan had built a few of these as expierments,he really didn't seem to know much about it. Anyone ever seen\heard of one of these?

7. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

Funny, stumbling around HAMB and I come across this thread. My background is road racing, haven't raced for a few years, was up at the track this summer doing technical scrutineering (drove the '28 to the track) was chatting with some of the guys about building a hot rod road race car, have a bunch of leftover parts from various cars in the past, have a really rough body that could be used for patterns to build an aluminum body over a tube frame.

This could be fun.

8. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

i just stumbled on this thread also. years ago i bought the parts of the keenan wynn indy roadster that were left when the car was put back as when it was built by henry ford for the 1935 indy race, it was not run till 1937. iwas going to put it back as keenan had it, he made many changes during his ownership. its way down on my list now, just a pile in the corner now. was a 2 man car,tight fit. any info on this car is apreciated.has been fun rounding info on the car......don't kno if he ever raced it but it was a race car hotrod.

9. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Was the car originally one of these? The Miller-Fords? Such pretty cars they were. MillerFordF.jpg

hotrodfil likes this.
  10. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Road racing Hot Rod
    Check the short Movie about 25 mints in shows a 33-34 Ford 10,000 Miles in 10 Days !!!
    In 1933 or 34
    On You tube
    1932 Ford V8 Promotional Film

11. skywolf

skywolf

Ray Sprague races his flathead powered roadster against sports cars regularly down here in Australia. Sounds great and is very entertaining to watch. He usually places around mid-field. Not too shabby for an old Ford ! Ray Sprague.jpg

12. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

50fraud, the 2 cars that henry built were in case the miller cars were not finished in time to run the 35 indy race. miller got 2 cars ready so the henry built cars were not used untill 37 by a new owner, here the story gets sketchy untill about 47 when keenan bought 1 or both cars???? they were modified for street in the east and delivered to california. one car was in movie''to please a woman'' and was wrecked in movie, i have pix of keenan repairing the nose that was wrecked at coachcraft in la. many unanswered questions about cars and history. my parts came from the car thats in the speedway musium 1935 ford indy car when it was restored back to like henry built it in 35. keenan changed the paint, headlites, frt. fenders, wheels, a couple times in pix i have. been lota fun finding about car....will appreciate any info any one has about the car.

13. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

The book on Indy cars by Jack Fox might have your car in 1937. I suspect it actually is based on one of the group of Miller Ford cars as there were several supposedly destroyed by Henry Ford's order, and several more that escaped somehow.

wingnutz likes this.
  14. XKTbird

XKTbird

The following is from a Morgan expert here on the west coast:

Morgan have never made their own engines, and regularly experimented. Just before the war, a factory test car was fitted with a V8 60 and gearbox from a Ford Pilot. A young Peter Morgan drove it for a while and discovered that it blew the doors off just about anything on the road. This didn't fit in with the cheap and cheerful Morgan ideal, and the car was refitted with a Ford 10hp flathead, supercharged.
    Peter told me that the V8 was so much fun that he drove like a hooligan and it was taken from him...
    It obviously inspired his masterpiece, the plus 8.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Early ‘60s road racers in the Philippines owned by my uncle 234B38DB-F2F8-46F2-A7B3-3AA23FD4C3A1.jpeg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

So I met the couple just a few weeks ago at the open house at Jimmy Shines shop in Orange CA, Elaine was so nice, she took to me like I was an old friend, and she had to tell me all about their experience with owning and showing the car, travelling all over the world. I shot a bunch of pictures of it I posted in another thread about LARS 2018. Here they are:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]