Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who sells good looking full sweep MECHANICAL gauges?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Piledrivin'Joe, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Piledrivin'Joe

Piledrivin'Joe

I’m looking for opinions on auxiliary auto gauges. Need pressure/volts/temp and maybe a vacuum. Here’s my list of wanted attributes:

Good quality American made, or at least not China/Taiwan/Mexico (e.g. Stewart Warner)

Mechanical - please don’t try to talk me out of it. I’ll hard line the oil pressure.

Full sweep 2 1/16 or 2 5/8

Dolphin is out because they don’t do full sweep.
    Unfortunately Classic Instruments, Speedhut, and New Vintage only make electric. Which is a shame because this line of mint green backlit gauges from NV is a pretty close match to the Galaxie dash:

[​IMG]

If I don’t find anything better I’ll probably go with a mechanical set from AutoMeter that sorta comes close but looks too modern:

[​IMG]

Any suggestions of who else to try?
    Thanks!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. partssaloon

partssaloon

Stewart Warner use to have full sweep mechanical in 2 1/16 & 2 5/8 inch sizes. Quality use to be excellent but that was years back.

3. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Piledrivin'Joe

Piledrivin'Joe

Thanks I’ll check em out

5. garyf

garyf

Sun

6. Piledrivin'Joe

Piledrivin'Joe

Are they still in business?

7. squirrel

squirrel

i put the Mexican made SW mechanical gauges in my car about 4 years ago, they've been working fine, aside from a burned out light bulb.

I got a set for my new car I'm building. We'll see how they do.

The Autometer gauges will work good, but won't have the "look" you're after. Fortunately, only a few of us will notice. Most folks will think they're fine in a traditional car.

RICH B and scotty t like this.
  8. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Doesn't Autometer's autogauge brand have black face full sweep with white needles? I was thinking I seen a set recently.

60F250 likes this.
  9. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Trying out Autogage gauges in the drag car. Old eyes like BIG numbers.
    [​IMG]

TagMan likes this.
  10. Piledrivin'Joe

Piledrivin'Joe

I don’t blame you - SW still makes good looking gauges, but I’m going to hold out a bit longer and see what I can find. It’s a significant chunk o’ change.

Yeah it’s the “look” I’m after that makes my projects take forever... but nothing is sweeter than cruising at night with the green glow of the vitals looking back at you. I recently watched Drive with Ryan Gosling and they really nailed the look of the gauges on his Malibu. Not the look for my build, but perfect for who he is and what he does.

[​IMG]

11. Piledrivin'Joe

Piledrivin'Joe

Autogage = imported

No disrespect to your build, dash looks great, just gonna hold out a bit longer to see what I can find...

12. Muttley

Muttley

Those 'New Vintage' ones posted above are decent but the digital readout in the tach and speedometer are deal breakers.

nailheadroadster and RICH B like this.
  13. Gman0046

Gman0046

Its going to be hard to find any gauges that aren't made in China by small children.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Piledrivin'Joe likes this.
  14. Piledrivin'Joe

Piledrivin'Joe

Yup I agree. Plus they no longer offer ANY mechanical gauges. Also I’m not sure I trust a maker of precision instruments who spells like this...

“Hi Joe
    Sorry but we only manufracture electronic instruments. We do not build any mechanacal gauges except a few speedoa
    Thanks”

15. Muttley

Muttley

I know you said 'Made In U.SA.' (I don't blame you) but I've had some newer (electric) Stewart Warner's in my car for nearly ten years with zero problems.

squirrel likes this.
  16. Just bought a mechanical 2'' SW temp gauge. Accurate and looks right.

17. alwaysamopar

alwaysamopar

Marshall instruments. ...last I knew still made in California...iv had great customer service with them. They are also the only liquid filled oil gauges that survive my rattling harleys

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Piledrivin'Joe likes this.
  18. alwaysamopar

alwaysamopar

sko_ford and Piledrivin'Joe like this.
  19. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

No offense taken, I get what you're trying to do. I ran into the same issue with mechanical/American/price and decided I had to compromise with function being the priority. Yes, Autogage are made in China (Taiwan, not mainland) just like Suns were from the late '70's on. Origin is a murky thing nowadays so that moved it down the list of priorities.
    Hope you find what works for you.

20. alwaysamopar

alwaysamopar

21. Speed~On

Speed~On

O.P. piledrvin'joe
    "Good quality American made, or at least not China/Taiwan/Mexico (e.g. Stewart Warner)"

Hi Joe,
    Stewart Warner (especially older SW from the 1930's through the 1960's) are hands down the highest quality gauges around. I'm an avid collect of these pieces and not only are they highly refined, the look is incredible.

Also, 5 years ago I installed newer S.W. crescent needle gauges in my hot rod and have not had a problem.

If you're looking for the best mechanical gauges around, search for these. They're mechanical. These are (1940s - 1950s) Stewart Warner 2 5/8" curved glass, smooth bezel, crescent needle, front mount gauges.

20180711_210042.jpg

20180711_210001.jpg

s-l400-2.jpg

s-l400-3.jpg

vintage-stewart-warner-5-curved-glass_1_9aa4e7338cfcef0dd7a24474ab3450dd.jpg

22. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mechanical oil pressure VDO gauge in my '39 p/u. Went with the electric water temp gauges because I didn't want 280 degree gauges in a flathead and the electrics pretty much matched the oil pressure gauge. I have a matching volt meter to go with them that I got at the LARS swap meet but haven't installed it yet. IMG_3789.JPG

23. fleetside66

fleetside66

Why not just run a set of 1960's Stewart-Warner gauges? They're relatively inexpensive & available & would do great justice to a traditional build without any drama. The temp & oil pressure I guess would be considered full sweep, but I'd guess you'd have to compromise on that with the volts & vacuum as far as full sweep goes. I don't blame you on the mechanical thing...much less hassle & are as traditional as can be.

24. squirrel

squirrel

I had a couple different SW oil pressure gauges from the old days in my 55, I never could read the gauge at night. The new ones have much better lighting!

25. fleetside66

fleetside66

Hmmm...I'll bet when you were running that '55 back in the day, in the heart of the night, you weren't fully concentrating on your gauges.

26. gene-koning

gene-koning

My guess is that his eyes probably worked a lot better, back in the day, then they do now. Most of us fit into that category was we grow older.

I know you want mechanical, and I understand, but my Speedhut gauges come with the sending units, and the gauges have wiring that connect between the gauges and the senders.
    I guess I've experienced too many oil pressure line failures, and fought with too many mechanical temp gauge bulbs to fight the mechanical gauge battle. My current ride has no place I could insert a mechanical temp gauge without drilling and tapping a hole and hope the chosen area is deep enough for the temp gauge. Gene

firstinsteele likes this.
  27. Piledrivin'Joe

Piledrivin'Joe

Wow I’m surprised at how affordable they are...
    Problem is I don’t know enough to know what questions to ask, no warranty, etc.
    I’m not against learning but it might be a steep curve in a short time. I need to buy them this week.

Anybody know of a seller who goes through old SW’s and checks them out, maybe replaces bulbs etc?

28. C7A413F5-D070-4E82-A05C-13F064F12A43.jpeg These Stewart Warner mechanical gauges have given me no problems, and they’re accurate (I know, the temp is up there; I’m working on that now). The Autometer tach is there just because it’s hard to find a tach that size.

atomickustom and Piledrivin'Joe like this.
  29. Piledrivin'Joe

Piledrivin'Joe

That’s a clean lookin setup. 2 5/8?
    And why the two water temp gauges? Do you have a sender in each end/side of the intake? Or one in the head?

30. Piledrivin'Joe

Piledrivin'Joe

Yeah good point. I do a lot of night driving. And in Portland Ore a lot of day driving is like night driving...

BoilermakerDave likes this.