Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features To chop or not

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sponge, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Probably too late for this, but the roof looks kinda tall, relative to the body. If the rails were painted body color, it would add to the apparent height of the body, and improve the proportions. Maybe someone that has photoshop can try this for you.

2. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

4" chop with a hood on it. :)

The37Kid likes this.
  3. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I like 2 to 2.5 , I am just glad you did not channel it. Good luck with what ever you choose! Larry

4. Gasolinefed

Gasolinefed
    from OR

I'm usually in the personal choice category.. by that I try to pre design the entire car as best as possible before starting work,, that's partly where great cars come from imo... in doing such the car can look intentional and work together..

That being said should you chop at this point? I probably would.. mild or not, just my thought.. some cars lend themselves to having a tall top and other don't.. but that's why I try to pre plan..;)

The body and paint look nice from the picture but life's short, I'd probably chop a masterpiece ( painting ruined by the elite) if I thought I'd enjoy it more than the money from the sale..

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  5. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Are you going to do the chop yourself or have it done?

I think it's odd that you don't know what you want out of the car you're halfway done building. That's usually a bad plan.

Have you been in a chopped model A before? Have you ridden in a stock height model A? Where do you see yourself and your car?

I've ridden in a Model A coupe w/ a 6" chop and that car has it all. The car lives here in Austin too, and you've probably seen it around as it's well publicized. But, the way you build it dictates the way people look at it, think about it, think about you, and dream about being in your shoes.

IF you cut it yourself... here's your textbook:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...1931-ford-model-a-coupe-in-the-world.1109142/

3blap.

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

I judge all 5Window chops by the look of the quarter windows. This one looks perfect. Bob

[​IMG]

7. A Boner

A Boner

1. 32 frame
    2. Paint it black....black on black on black!
    3. sbc
    4. don't chop the top
    5. join the crowd....chop it!

8. Harms Way

Harms Way

Who are you trying to please ?...... "Other people" or you ?.... What do YOU want ?.... It's your car, Build it to suit You !.... If your trying to please the crowd, Your ether......

A. Building it for the wrong reasons.
    B. Building everybody else's car,... Not your own.

What ever you really want, forge ahead with it,... Cause your NEVER going to please 100% of the crowd.

m.ralph and czuch like this.
  9. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

No. Full height tops are the way to go!

nunattax likes this.
  10. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

Chop it!

m.ralph likes this.
  11. madfish

madfish

12. chargin03

chargin03

No chop looks good.

nunattax likes this.
  13. Ride in one with a chopped top and then decide if it is comfortable for you. Be sure to ask yourself how far you would want to ride in it.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    nunattax likes this.
  14. “Leave it alone” is what my mind says!! But then, one like this WILL be in MY garage one day...

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

15. mlagusis

mlagusis

I would leave it not chopped. I think Model A's look better un-chopped. I think the side rear windows look funny with a larger radius at the bottom and a smaller at the top of the window. When you chop them, it makes the rear side windows look upside down..

16. "you no chopida da car".......Chico Marx

czuch likes this.
  17. Joe McGlynn

Joe McGlynn

What if you chopped it and wedge sectioned the body, maybe 1.5 inches at the firewall tapering back to zero at the rear. That might give it a pretty neat stance. grill shell would be cut down too. Keep the wedge small so it's not obvious what you did, but it would accentuate the chassis rake and rubber rake.

Just an idea. More coffee now.

18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yep, like the bottom example in the post just above yours.

19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

In this comparison the stock height example in the top is clearly the better looking old skool hot rod, there is no doubt about it. In comparison the bottom picture looks squashed and stupid. Something done by somebody trying too hard to make an impression on others. And like I posted above, I would normally be on the Chop It side of the argument in a thread like this. But this guy's A looks perfect like it is, he would be a fool to chop it. A couple of inches off the top would be OK, but the work involved to do it right would not be worth the result IMO. This particular A, the way it sits, the way it looks right now, is perfectly proportioned. I say leave it alone, get the rest done, and get it on the road ASAP.

20. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OH MY!!!!!!!!!!!!....this car is burning a hole in my brain...love at first sight!

21. cjtwigt

cjtwigt

bowlingball likes this.
  22. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I agree, 3-4 inch chop says HOT ROD!

m.ralph likes this.
  23. primed34

primed34

Just me but it looks pretty damn cool like it is.

nunattax and Blues4U like this.
  24. 48stude

48stude

You know,it's really a good thing that we all have different taste. This place would get pretty boring if we all built the same car:) I'm enjoying the differences of opinions that we are sharing on this thread. Bill

wackdaddy and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  25. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Be different and unique. Just like all the Harley Pirates.
    Chop it so you can stand out in a crowd, and curse as you get in and out.

wackdaddy likes this.
  26. To be different and unique add 2 inches to the top. Don't laugh, I actually saw that done once.

Charlie Stephens

Jet96 and czuch like this.
  27. Just do not under chop it! It is a Model A so 4-1/2" or 5". Nothing Less!

m.ralph, Jet96, 61cad and 1 other person like this.
  28. Chop it! and black on the frame!

ct1932ford likes this.
  29. toad611

toad611
    from Tennessee

Drove mine for a year stock height. When I decided to chop it I was going to go 4" but first I put 4" of masking tape across the top of my windshield and drove the car, had to hard of a time seeing out. Then I did 3" of tape and drove the car a couple weeks like that and it was fine. So we did a 3" chop.

Attached Files:

30. adam401

adam401

What is this Fordbarn? Chop that fucker hard.