Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Iconic Berardini 32 Roadster up for grabs & SOLD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stogy, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is one of my most favorite Hotrods. This is on the Sotheby's site quite nicely presented...I am sure I am not alone in my interest is this iconic competitor...I see that some time ago that Susan Berardini had posted the passing of her Late Father Pat on The Hamb. Pat was the genius behind the Roadster before us. I post Susan's thread link as it contains valuable information on her Late Father Pat and his incredible Hotrod the "404 Jr"

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/pat-berardini.806870/

So correct me if I'm wrong but it looks recent...will be no doubt very pricey but wow what a cool machine and all the History around it...Those fellas lived and breathed Hotrods and going fast.

[​IMG]

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/...ford-404-jr-roadster-by-berardini-bros/681153

Hamber @rexrogers has been involved in the restoration of this as well...

https://www.bornintheforge.com/cars/completed-projects/sissy-roger-morrisons-berardini-bros-404-jr/

[​IMG]

https://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Bernardini_Bros._404_Jr._1932_Ford_Roadster

005-berardini-roadster-brothers-roadsters_sm.jpg

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1929-ford-roadster-leads-a-fast-life-at-the-drags-in-1950s/

CCC-beradini-bros-and-rich (1).jpg

https://www.customcarchronicle.com/cc-builders/barris-kustom-shop/jesse-lopez-lo-behold-part-2/

https://www.hotrodhotline.com/berardini-brothers#.W0MZwbgnZhE

Credit to Photographers, Owners

Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. rexrogers

rexrogers

I just saw that the 404 jr is going up for sale. I'm curious what the car will bring.
    I'm grateful that I had the chance to do the sheetmetal restoration on the car. That was probably close to 13 years ago.

Rex Rogers
    The Forge
    Loveland, Co

kidcampbell71, Stogy and The37Kid like this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's funny such an iconic striking Hotrod such as this generates so little response from a place were you'd think the interest would be higher...perhaps I should change the Title...(I did...)

Yes Rex you did bring its bold and beautiful presence back to what it would have been back in its heyday. It is a stunner. I can fully understand your feelings while being so up close and personal with these Historic Markers in the periods celebrated here. To just sit in...let alone drive these must provoke many a thought.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. DRD57

DRD57

That car had another whole life as Rudy Perez' well driven street roadster racking up close to 200k miles in his care.

XP1010139_JPG.jpg

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was after its Berardini heyday I take it DRD? Many Hotrods do evolve through the years and Rudy's version was a pretty respectful upgrade considering others I have seen of other vintage hotrods. Thanks for helping paint the picture of where this Hotrod has been.

7. rexrogers

rexrogers

The kustomra probably has the best breakdown on the history of the car from the Berardini's to Jeano LaCoste, then on to Rudy Perez.

Rex Rogers
    The Forge
    Loveland, Co

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@rexrogers I did post that link along with several others and I do enjoy gleaning info on these Hotrods and such even though I'm not a big reader...I do try.

Thank you and you are absolutely correct there are several great sites to reference things and Kustomrama is right up there.

9. Nobey

Nobey

Thanks for posting this Stogy, that Flathead was fast at 115.66 MPH, and 11.75 ET, at Oakland 1956.....

Stogy likes this.
  10. Nobey

Nobey

Another thing I might mention is, the guys in Loveland did such an exceptional job on the restoration
    of this car, I'll bet it lands in the $500K + at auction.....

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@rexrogers do you have any thoughts on this Hotrod through your experience with it? Did you do a road test as part of its restoration? Thanks in advance...

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Here is a great video about the car, and its history. Roger Morrison was responsible for finding the car and having it restored to its racing condition. Roger is a good friend, and very passionate about preserving historical race cars.

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw that but the resolution was really poor but the content is awesome...till a better version shows up this will be the teaser...Thanks Big D

Good on you Roger...Hope it was a fun journey with this Hotrod...

It was in also in a movie as well might be able to find that as well...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh Oh Hotrod Hoodlums...:eek:
    At 1:21 of this trailer is the 404
    in a street scene...pretty nasty show this was
    like Batman with no Pows & Bangs
    perhaps in the full movie there was more
    footage...I noticed it had www's I thought blackwalls were the badass tire...:p

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  16. clem

clem

Wow! Always been interested in this car.
    Never seen the fendered version or some of the older photos.
    Thanks for posting.
    Clemens.

Stogy likes this.
  17. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

One of my favorites. Love the flames.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. rexrogers

rexrogers

I never drove the car, Dave Crouse did all of the test drive. When the car was shown at pebble beach it did go on the reliability run. When the Beridini brothers built the car the radiator was chopped 4" the car is restored with a chopped radiator, but it has a stock radiator full height now.

Rex Rogers
    The Forge
    Loveland, Co

Countn'Carbs and Stogy like this.
  19. rexrogers

rexrogers

I will have to look and see what I have for restoration photos of the car.
    Roger Morrison is a one of a kind car collector he definitely goes the extra mile in helping preserve the automotive history.

Rex Rogers
    The Forge
    Loveland, Co

Countn'Carbs, Stogy and big duece like this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Combined with you and your shops extra miles that makes for a pretty stellar outcome. I really would like to see these run down the track as in the Heyday but displayed and shown at varied events being a probable outcome is still better than not being or rotting into the ground as a forgotten memory or worse. Thanks Rex.

21. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hardly gets any more iconic than this hotrod, but I suspect many HAMBers immediately think "Cool but another wealthy man's toy, I can't touch this." That's what I think, and the impulse is to just move on. Regardless, this thread is a good resource on a pioneering hotrod, thanks.

Stogy likes this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope that it gets its feet wet...just a little. I mean I don't see a lot of museums and collections myself so in a sense to me this place is like just that. I will likely not physically get out to see most of the things here but there are many here that could bring it home. Glad it's still around.

I am glad to see some fanfare...it is part of the foundation of why we enjoy this fantastic hobby and lifestyle.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    BrerHair and big duece like this.
  23. Thank's for posting all this on the 404 car. I have had the good luck to have seen this car in person when Roger was the care taker of it. After he had Dave & Rex restore it. He even brought it out to the KKOA show in Salina one year and parked it along with all the other hot rods. So cool of Roger.

big duece and Stogy like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    rexrogers likes this.
  25. clem

clem

Wow !
    Thanks for the update.

Stogy likes this.