Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Firewall Mount Coil Cover ...so what's the trick?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DaPeach, May 14, 2018.

1. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

I messaged Dennis @ O'Brien Truckers yesterday & not sure how often he checks in, but checking to see other's experience with mounting this piece.

How is the coil secured inside the cover so it doesn't rattle around? Should I just drill & add a set screw?

Thanks

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

How about a picture of what you are dealing with. You know, we have no idea.....

SPark

3. rjones35

rjones35

It doesn't press against the firewall and keep it secured? Maybe you could stick some pieces of rubber hose or something inside there to take up the space.

DaPeach likes this.
  4. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

I haven't removed my old strap yet & the coil doesn't quite fit inside either, too tight (figured slight grinding inside the cover will fix that)...but here you go.

...also thinking grinding slight slots into the inside of the cover might be enough to slide it in & secure it as well since I'm having this fitment issue.
    I hesitate to put anything inside that would be affected by heat like the rubber idea.

IMG_6158 (002).jpg IMG_6159 (002).jpg IMG_6160 (002).jpg

5. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I would put a couple pieces of rubber fuel hose over the terminals after connecting them . Also shim the sides with some more as needed. It carries fuel just fine in the engine compartment so some heat should not bother it. Gary

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    DaPeach likes this.
  6. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

I guess that does make sense, thanks

7. Speed~On

Speed~On

O'Brian Truckers produce some pretty cool parts. I considered purchasing the firewall coil cover you have but thought it was too large. Also, as you're experiencing, there does not seem to be an easy/clean way to mount it.

I found this one and love it. It discretely bolts to the firewall from the backside and it's just large enough for my coil to slide into. It's then secured with a discrete set screw. This mount is quite a bit smaller than yours, but will fit your coil perfectly.

20180514_183826.jpg

20180514_191901.jpg

Note the small set screw between the last set of lower ribs.
    20180514_183907.jpg

8. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

Where'd you find that one at? I do like that one too & kinda wish I would've done more searching. I found a different one I really wanted but it was out of stock. That's the one that made me consider adding a set screw.

I'd really like to find one rough cast between the fins...but I think I'm getting too picky now.

Thanks

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  9. Made by OTB summit has it.

DaPeach likes this.
  10. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

dickshotrodcarbs.com has them. They also come with all mounting hardware.

DaPeach likes this.
  11. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

nice price on that one too

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Just like a hot rodder to cover up a chrome plated coil with an aluminum jacket!
    But, seriously...

The cover from Dick'shotrodcarbs is the cat's ass. Good mounting plan, too. (from the back)

To get that rough cast look between the fins, have it rough sandblasted, then polish the fins with WET #400, #600, #1000, then polish with compound. :cool:

DaPeach likes this.
  13. I suggest a sandblast to a satin finish and then polish just the fin tops. You could wind up matching the valve covers pretty close.

I always have lots of misc. bits and pieces on hand for wrapping, padding and anti-rattling. Everything from tape, Velcro strips, rubber, leather, gasket material, etc. Just have some fun and Macgyver it. ;)

Edit to add......
    Maybe mask off the fin tops with tape and just "satinblast" the fin valleys would be simpler.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    kidcampbell71 and DaPeach like this.
  14. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

Ha! yeah well...

Agreed about Dick's cover. Since I decided to drill the firewall, I figure I'd get something that matches the finned valve covers I'll be using. I dig the look.

Thanks for the replies

15. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Reach out and smack me :pbut with all that clean work around the engine compartment why finish the wiring with those ugly crimp ons ? You could solder and use heat shrink for a better finish and may cause less problems in the future. Just sayin'

Ric Dean, low down A and TagMan like this.
  16. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

I was thinking that too. I have an old beater airbrush I may be able to open the tip & blow through some fine media. Ultimately, I will be painting between the fins, so they would at least get scuffed w/ a scotch pad.

17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OTB gear here also like Speed-On. Mine is mounted to the fan shroud. Very nice piece.
    upload_2018-5-15_12-42-11.png

DaPeach likes this.
  18. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Also, several of the big tuneup parts manufacturers in the '40's and '50's had "Heavy Duty" coils with neat ribbed aluminum shells. The probably deceased coils in the ones I have found poured right out with a bit of heat applied to the aluminum. The shells are ready to bolt right to whatever you want, and the inner coils parts seem to be common diameter of US replacement coils.

Ric Dean, kidcampbell71 and DaPeach like this.
  19. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

upload_2018-5-15_16-26-13.jpeg
    Typical of several makes

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  21. I got this one from Moon. Slid right up over my already mounted coil and is secured with a set screw.
    [​IMG]

DaPeach, kidcampbell71 and akoutlaw like this.
  22. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The old coils I mentioned really do look better, IMHO. The cover is obviously a cover...coils just ain't D-shaped!
    The oldies I have weren't hard to find...BUT most modern replacement coils for pre-electronic cars are seemingly all about the same diameter. Every found-in-my-basement coils I have tried goes right into my 1940's finned shells. Why doesn't someone out there cast a replica, so finned coils can look like coils, and not like JC Whitney covers??

Ric Dean, F-ONE and kidcampbell71 like this.
  23. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

What I like about this one is the terminals are still easy to access, for hooking up a tach for tune ups.

Speed~On likes this.
  24. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Bubbas uses the Dickster coil covers, cant go wrong with the Dickster ribbed stuff.......

Attached Files:

DaPeach likes this.
  25. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

I decided I didn't want to drill the firewall & since the T Bucket is so small, I went with Dickster's. Made a small "L" bracket to bolt it to the intake, it looks great. I was able to quickly sell the larger O'Brien cover for what I had in it.

Thanks for the suggestions!

engine8.jpg

26. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH