Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1928-29 Model A Roadster Pickup Door Measurements!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Rat Woodie, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Rat Woodie

Rat Woodie
    from Texas

Does anyone know the 1928-29 Model A Roadster Pickup Door Measurements and the thickness of the door? If anyone can help please let me know? Thanks..

2. Joe McGlynn

Joe McGlynn

Funny you should ask. I've been thinking a lot about building a hot rod to keep my (in progress) Studebaker-derived "Dream Truck Clone" company. I don't get nearly enough time in on the Stude, so it makes sense to have another project to keep it company, yes?

Anyway, one of the top choices is a 28/29 RPU. One of the criteria for this project is to build the body from scratch. So just yesterday I found a side view drawing and loaded it into Solidworks to start picking up some measurements. I scaled the drawing according to the wheelbase, then laid in lines for the cab and picked up dimensions for them. This is probably accurate to +/- .25" ... it would be nice for someone with an original body to verify.

If I build one, I'd stretch the doors and the area behind the doors just a little. Not enough to be obvious, but to pick up a little more room. I'd probably also change the shape of the back of the cab a little, leaning toward the '32 style just a little. Rounded edges where the sides transition to the back, a little rearward curve to the back of the cab, and maybe a little upward lift to the cab back (like a T bucket, but not that much. No point in making an exact re-creation.

I used to have a 28/29 cowl that I sold to a friend. I need to buy that back so I can get accurate cowl measurements.

rpu.JPG

The other project candidates are a lakester based around a 27T bucket shape with a Plymouth axle and a miller-style grill (to match the bend in the axle), or something inspired by the Kraft "Roadster Royale".

It's dangerous to leave my imagination alone too long :)

3. chev34ute

chev34ute

I can supply those measurements. I own a cut down 28 Pheaton, and from my understanding, the front doors are interchangeable between the phaeton, roadster and roadster pickups. I will try and get some measurements on Thursday or Friday.

4. Joe McGlynn

Joe McGlynn

Cool, it will be good to have validation as to whether my extrapolated measurements (21.75" for door length) are accurate, and to have more details about the thickness of the door and maybe the curve of the door/sides from top to bottom and front to back.

I have job stuff that has me twisted around the axle for the next week and a half, but after that I should be able to spend some time thinking about this and maybe start mocking up either in real life or in CAD (or both, most likely).

5. chev34ute

chev34ute

DSC01625.JPG I have been so flat out that I completely forgot to post these up. I hope these are what you are looking for3970963[/ATTACH] ATTACH=full]3970960[/ATTACH] DSC01618.JPG DSC01622.JPG DSC01623.JPG

6. Joe McGlynn

Joe McGlynn

7. Rat Woodie

Rat Woodie
    from Texas

Many thanks!!!