Register now to get rid of these ads!

'59 F350 ramp truck

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by readhead, Jul 5, 2018.

1. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

That truck should have a Borg Warner T-18 4 spd in it, so there is a few options. Another option is to put an Advance Adaptors range splitter in front of the 4 spd. It is cheaper then a Gear Vendor and gives you a nice 27% overdrive and the ability to split every gear (a 4x2 setup).

I run one in my '85 F-350 between the 6.9 IDI and T-19. I absolutely love it. That truck was ordered with a 4.56:1 rear that caused it to rev out at 63 mph (3400 rpm on the old oil burner) before the range splitter was installed. Now it cruises at 72 mph all day long.

http://www.advanceadapters.com/categories/complete-units/91/

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    warhorseracing and fauj like this.
  2. Thanks for the tip. I will look into that. I used to be a AA dealer. That was 25 years ago.

3. '59 will have a T98 trans. Pretty sure the T18 appeared in '65?

I have a Ranger gear splitter in my COE w/T18......initial price was tough to swallow, but I wouldn't live without it now!

Boneyard51 likes this.
  4. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

You might be right, I am not exactly sure on when Ford switched to the T18. Jeep and IH started using the T18 as early as '55, but the T98 might have stuck around in Fords for a few more years. They are very similar transmissions though, I think the T18 top cover will even bolt onto most T98's.

The Ranger gear splitter is still about half the price of a GearVendors, and nothing says big truck like having 2 sticks.

5. Does anyone have a Hollander book that might show some interchange possibilities?