Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cylinder head Removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Hyena, Jul 7, 2018.

1. greybeard360

greybeard360

I am thinking the rocker shaft bolts are also the upper row of head bolts... Pull the rocker shaft off.

2. The Hyena

The Hyena

The rocker bolts dont hold anything as a said i took off the other side.
    also who said its not the original head ? and why do you say that ??

ps. it is upside down at the moment haha and nothing

3. Hydraulic jack.

The Hyena likes this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy

The head is a totally different color than the block (head is rust and red, block is blue). Caddy didn't paint them separately.

5. Deuces

Deuces

You remove that head yet????

6. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

I have a feeling this is going to end up like the guy that couldnt open the door on his pickup.......come to think of it, whatever happened with that? LOL

VANDENPLAS, King ford and Deuces like this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I assume he got stuck inside, and died.

8. X-cpe

X-cpe

If you have a porta-power go between the valley and the top of an intake port and apply a little up pressure ("a little" being the key). Then tap around the head with a plastic, brass or deadblow hammer. The problem with rubber mallets is the absorb too much of the force you are trying to apply. If you don't have a porta-power you can construct a couple of jacking devices using all thread, a McGyvered arm to reach onto the ports and some nuts to apply up pressure. If bumping it with a hammer doesn't pop it loose then you need the thinnest putty knife you can find. Sharpen one side (because longways it will flex too much when hit) and try driving it into the gasket gap starting on the intake side. Keep moving around. Once it starts to move add more up pressure and go to a thicker, sturdier putty knife. Eventually you will create a gap big enough for a screwdriver or pry bar. The problem with chisels and screwdrivers is their wedge is too blunt when you are trying to go into a space that is measured in thousandths. Finesse, even with a hammer, and patience are your best friends.

9. Deuces

Deuces

I like the idea of using jack screws!!!!...... We make our own at work by using 1/2-13 thread stock and nuts... They work great for lining up a fixture plate on a tomb stone for a horizontal machining center... ;)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  10. Have you invited a second person over to look at the problem? Some times were are too close to something.

Charlie Stephens

powrshftr and dogwalkin like this.
  11. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Those bolts look a little long not to go into the block........

cad1.PNG cad.PNG

The Hyena likes this.
  12. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

4th of July is just past. Might be ale to pick up a bunch of M-80's on the cheap. Load the cylinders and set them off! 45-50 should be about the right number. Be sure to put a couple head bolts in loosely for safety reasons.....

SPark

egads likes this.
  13. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Crickets......

14. farmalldan

farmalldan
    from Duncan, OK

My research confirms what Charlie is telling you. Cad 429 has 17 head bolts per side with the top 4 doing double duty as rocker shaft bolts. My question is: how the hell did you get the other head off without removing the rocker shaft?
    Farmalldan

Should have acknowledged KJSR's contribution. My apologies to him.

powrshftr and The Hyena like this.
  15. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I also see an "overheat button" on the end of the head; those are placed by rebuilders for warranty purposes. They don't warranty overheating damage. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

The Hyena likes this.
  16. Jesse Bailey

Jesse Bailey

Sure looks like the rocker shaft bolts go clear through.

429HeadsCleanedandCheckedAug1320141.JPG

17. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Get a O/A torch and neutralize the flame, snub it out and fill each cylinder with the gas mixture and put plugs back in with a few head bolts, use remote starter from down the block and turn over engine. :D

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  18. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

19. Also , the rocker bolts line up with holes in the head gasket. Imagine that.
    In answer to your question ..He didn't. We're being spun here..He bought somebody else's nightmare. indexrc.jpg

20. The Hyena

The Hyena

YES !!! you guys were all correct rocker bolts were still tightened, GOD im retarded haha

im learning thanks guys i promise I WILL have more really stupid questions, but hey i guess that how im gonna learn haha

21. Deuces

Deuces

Your welcome!.... :D:rolleyes:

The Hyena likes this.