Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How many of you has this happened to?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trollst, Jul 6, 2018.

1. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

gota say , I built my house . ive had many people tell me they built there house . but , they paid a contractor to build it . and most contractors subed out the concrete , plumbing , wiring , painting , etc, did they build there house ?? I dug the footings, mixed the mud , smashed my thumb , it aint the same , but , I guess they did build it. I didn't do it on my own , though . the one who is always helping , and never gets credit is my wife . helped me bleed brakes yesterday . one hour of pumping the brakes in a hot p/u ,while I layed in the dirt cussing helped stand every wall in our home ,aswell . no thanks . just sayin

2. trollst

trollst

I repeat, I wasn't looking for glory or even a mention, but I sure as hell won't stand by and let someone else steal my thunder. I built a chassis that is safe, drives nice and just happened to end up on the cover of a magazine, how cool is that? Then you read who did the work and it isn't you, when you calm down, you decide to defend your reputation, and let the chips fall where they may. If nobody got credit, all good by me, but if credit is given to putting a car together, then make sure the facts are straight.

3. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

My old partner now specializes in Bathrooms, tiling being his specialty. We have found pictures of
    his work on another contractors web site. Amazing what yelp reviews stating what this thief did
    ruined what was left of his business.

4. Nobey

Nobey

This has happened to me, on more then one occasion. You're dealing with Insecurity, and Ego. The guy
    really hates to have someone do, what he can't himself. I know it pangs to see your work in a magazine
    without credit or recognition. Just remember the Cream always Rises, and Lies have Short legs......

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Remember, just be yourself. If that doesn't work try being someone else.

6. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Has happened to me many times in many different ways. I just always thank God that I wasn't born with that insecurity.

lurker mick likes this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It you run an shop, it is not about insecurity. It is about denied potential future revenue.

Bearcat_V8, Saxman, Truck64 and 4 others like this.
  8. trollst

trollst

I question the guy who gets the false credit, how does he hold his head up? My roadster pickup is a classic case, I never built any of the front sheet metal, and I give full marks to the guy before me who did, an old guy named Rob Brulotte, I bought the car from him. What I did do, was all chassis work, made the damned thing handle like a race car, changed damn near everything but the sheet metal and the engine. Here it is, I'm not talented enough to turn a cockshutt tractor fuel tank into the coolest grille shell ever, and I'll admit it. DSC06874.JPG

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did let it go. In fact, I had to let the whole business go.

As it turns out, when nobody knows of your work, it is hard to get new customers.

10. fordflambe

fordflambe

Shops like the recognition because it brings in business and its their livelihood. Friends like the recognition because they like people to know they had a hand in a good looking build.

Personally, the work i do on my cars, as well as others is my passion. I don't need recognition to live my passion but u fully understand how it would strain relationships/friendships.

That said, I have a very close personal friend that did all body and paint for another local friend (56 Nomad). The owner of the car has been heard telling many people the painter helped him paint the car but never really gave full credit for the work the painter did..........Good way to lose friends.

11. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Gimpy, I did run a shop for many years. Actually I have ran several businesses. That was where my comment came from. When one was wiped out by others words ,actions or lack of, another one appeared and after the pain of loss disapated, I realized that I was happy for the new and better venture and was glad that the one I just lost was not nearly as satisfying as the new one. This has happened many times in my life and has built my sense of security and trust that happiness is not something that has to be controlled by what I do. I am sorry for your loss and I have always respected your abilities but I believe you are just around the corner for something greater and better.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am now a senior engineer at General Motors. It is highly constrained, but it pays the bills.

13. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Had a friend of mine pin stripe flames on my car and the first car show I took it too afterwards it won best flames trophy. I turned around and handed him the trophy and he laughed and handed it back. I don't like taking credit for something I didn't do and if it weren't for the many friends that helped me along the way and answered what I thought were my stupid questions, I wouldn't have gotten as far with any of my cars. I also wanted to say I'm glad many of you fellows on this blog are willing to share knowledge they have and have helped me as well.

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I get asked all the time did I build the Ole Hotrod the answer is always no. I bought it this way. I do always credit the original builder with having a unique vision and being amongst a great group with a lot of History in the Hobby.

@trollst I think if that fellow was my friend I'd have distanced myself far far away by now...just me...albiet you offered...but now you see a side you didn't see before.

I have no shame in praising those who created what I enjoy. Thanks Jerry, Koz, Anthony and I'm sure theres a few more that helped out to get it to what I enjoy today. I did a few things to it here and there and continue and am capable of much but building my Hotrod was not my doing.

0_20180622_204633.jpg

I continue to credit anyone who does things including myself. No one will ever pin BS'r or Phoney to me...where's it getcha...and if I lose a friend over being ethical so be it.

15. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I think how people define "built" is misleading. They may have orchestrated the build and never actually did much or any of the actual work such as engine build, body or paint. Most people don't and that's OK. I had a chopped T I did that was described as perfectly proportioned in mags and the place that finished the overall car is credited. The owner will tell people he "built" his car. I was paid for my services so good enough. Still proud of it.

chryslerfan55 and knifefighter like this.
  16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes, Not with HAMB related cars OR people. It was over 30 years ago, got over it, but never forgot it. Bob

Stogy and knifefighter like this.
  17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I've done good work on a shitty car before and told the owner to never tell anyone I had anything to do with it so they don't think I did the shit work too. does that count?

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes, Been there too, and did the same.:cool: Bob

chryslerfan55 and fordflambe like this.
  19. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I had to laugh when I read your reply. I used to work in a machine shop and made many custom parts for my buddy's rides and told them not to tell anyone where they got them because I didn't want to be making parts all day long for everyone.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  20. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I’ve had the same issue more than I care to remember . Most of the time I say nothing because I don’t want the low life contacting me for help or to do work . I just think if they are having fun so be it have fun , there many other issues in life to get frustrated about .

21. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Hmmm... I have traveled this road. I still bump into people asking me to reopen a new shop.

I did venture into something new, a more prosperous venture. It doesn't involve building cars. But, I now am buying projects, buying a building, and pretty soon I will be building hot rods again. But this time around, it's for myself.... I can't wait!!!

I still do things for people, but I have to REALLY like them... LOL

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  22. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

""I still do things for people, but I have to REALLY like them... LOL""

fordflambe, Deuces and roundvalley like this.
  23. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

The story sadly verifies the old axiom of "No good deed goes unpunished." Fortunately it could have been worse.. don't let it sour you though. He may have the onset of dementia or he was never the friend you thought. I would choose the first over later and remember the joy of helping a friend...... Imagine his wife when he credits another woman for his children.....ooops, I better shut up now!

chryslerfan55 and trollst like this.
  24. Deal with it at work all the time. I built a truck from the frame up at work for a customer sure its not my business im just an employee but the boss took credit for every bit of work done from the wiring harness I made from scratch even though he seems proud to say he cant do wiring nor know how to read a wiring schematic. All the way down to the electric to mechanical speedometer interface I found from this company that was cheaper and works better than the Dakota Digital one.

I let it slide because in my case once I move and leave this job I want to be a fly on the wall when all the cars I built from the frame up come back for some work or repair and the owner doesn't know a thing about them. Going to be fun with ac work on that old 82 F150 I fabricated a '12 mustang 5.0 coyote in. I ended up using a accumulator from a '96 ford truck as it fit the evaporator from 82 still but had the outlet for the accumulator on the bottom which was a straight shot to the ac compressor to keep it nice and clean looking. Gonna be fun watching him spas out trying to figure out what accumulator that is.

25. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I see individuals claiming credit for the work of others all the time or implying that they did this that or the other when in fact they know it was a blatant lie, misleading and false. They only signed the cheques or were visiting the workshop when something was done or discussed. Heck, my bosses quite often claimed credit for my hard work, outcomes and other initiatives on the basis of only being line supervisors. I did the work because I could and it met my standards plus I had a good work ethic; they didn't inspire or motivate me to perform at that level. I've learned to either ignore it or attempt to correct things and/or set the record straight. For whatever reason some people over emphasise their input to cover their own failings, embellish the facts and cover their insecurity or inability.:D:eek:

26. 19Fordy

19Fordy

It's all about ego and wanting to be something you're not.:(.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  27. lol Yep, funny thing I noticed is my boss takes credit for any work that was done that without a doubt can not have a problem but yet jobs that could come back with a problem he wont take credit for even if he did it. I don't know how many jobs Ive had pawned off on me to the customer that I did the job when I wasn't even at work that day to even see the car.

I just find it funny as hell and it doesn't bother me because the customer if they come by like the guy with the truck I shoehorned that 5.0 coyote engine in he came by regularly and saw me working on it nearly daily so he knows but all the customers that come by wanting to get work done they are told of the truck or if its there for an oil change or something they are shown it and what work he did lol.

mgtstumpy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. It is. I have no problem saying I cant do something and giving credit to someone that can. I did all the work I could on my radio on my '56 to get it working it powers up now but it needs to be recapped. I also mistaken the antenna adjustment on the side of the radio for a broken antenna plug and might have fucked it up. So I am trying to find someone local that can recap a old tube radio and check that antenna adjuster out. I found one local shop but they want me to bring the antenna so they can tune it. Im like really? You going to tell a guy to pull the antenna out of his car to bring it to you to recap the radio?

29. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Timely post
    Yesterday we drove the old car to a bbq . On the way we stopped at the liquor store and my wife went in to pickup something while I waited in the car with the kids.
    Guy parks his Saturn next to my wagon, walks past the wagon and heads to the store. On the way he passes a woman who points at my car and says to this guy “you’ve got the coolest car I’ve ever seen”.
    Guy thanks her for the compliment and heads inside.

Not even his car!!!
    At least he didn’t tell her he spent years restoring it himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mgtstumpy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  30. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i have a little different problem than these. i have a brother that can't tie his shoes without help. i have built several cars for him over the last 30 years or so. he buys pos and comes over with it and he knows i can't stand to see it like that and i completely fix it up. then damn near as soon as he takes it home, he will sell it to the first person that shows interest in it. he never gives me a dime. we don't talk anymore. i suppose it is really my fault for doing the work. i mean, i wouldn't do this kind of work for a stranger, so why do i put up with it from him. oh yea, i use all my money and welding equipment etc to build his crap too. dumb, dumb, dumb. i guess it's like the saying goes, friends and relitives will bankrupt you faster than anyone else.