Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods So, they ask, do ya' have a hood?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by st.rod, Jul 8, 2018.

1. st.rod

st.rod

Here is my '32 PB. Tired of the question. Yea, I got a hood. Bite me. So, I assume its ugly without a hood. Good
    32 at Legion.jpg

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

tell 'em you live in the Hood - Ha!

rjones35 likes this.
  3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes, Your car, you are free to do as you please, but I'm in the put a hood on it, and keep it closed if it is on a show field club. Post 1946 cars with hoods open look like feeding time in an alligator farm, totally dumb looking to me. Rant over, have a nice day. Bob

Mr48chev and Frankie47 like this.
  4. Wasn't the 32 Plymouth a car with a chrome grille shell? HRP

4speed_mopars likes this.

5. st.rod

st.rod

Well, yes it was and it had a hood.

31Dodger and F&J like this.
  6. catdad49

catdad49

Looks Fine to Me, but What do I Know! ( Check the avatar pic)

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

8. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I guess you might have to invest in one of these decals.

Attached Files:

9. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Just give them the finger and say "Have a nice day ASSHOLE"

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

A friend of mine had a number of primered cars, without fail, people would say "when ya gonna paint it", he finally figured out the best response, he'd say "is primer not paint"!

F&J likes this.
  11. Yea, that'll show 'em! Trying to figure out which one is the asshole.

Mick

12. F&J

F&J

Ok, I finished my first full fender roadster back in 1980, except the final color paint, so it was black primer... I was at some store or whatever...a woman around 45 all decked out, talking/looking like Martha Stewart...she says as she felt the front fender top..."Is this Matte' " o_O. I am serious!

Ok, I do now get a few random people ask where is the hood (on my 32), or "do you have a hood?"... Sometimes I say shit that I can't believe... It is partly due to lingering Lyme disease...but fun as hell... I sometimes say "If you have a hot rod engine, people like seeing it!!"...then the catch line comes... "Nobody would ever recognize John Holmes if he wore pants". I've even had that slip out with a couple of women lately:rolleyes:.. Blondes from 45 to 65 really like old Hot Rods in my area!!...

Younger women really like the tall 4x4 1966 Chevy truck a lot....but I rarely drive it.

catdad49 likes this.
  13. Gasolinefed

Gasolinefed
    from OR

No offense, but if it's cool you can get away with more..

14. You may have spoke too soon. The person could have had one at home he was going to give you.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Algoma56 and The37Kid like this.
  15. robracer1

robracer1

Tell them- its so fast the damn hood flew off on the way here!

16. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Hoods are highly over-rated!

29063753_1287767971322870_6340728417175180746_o.jpg

clem and ramblin dan like this.
  17. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Hot Rod=big bad ass souped up shiny engine most of all#1,then is the rest of the stuff ! Covering up the #1 thing,well it's some type of sin right ? NO HOOD IS KING !!!
    When I'm ask ,why no hood;Just point out HOTROD is all about big engine,not about the hood! Simple 001 (4).JPG

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  18. Not all the old girls look good topless, yours is fine.;)

dana barlow and Bandit Billy like this.
  19. indyjps

indyjps

With fenders, Without hood is different, looks good.

Ive stopped talking or responding to a lot of remarks. Just look back at them raise your eyebrows, shake your head, walk away. Make them figure out why theyre F'd up.

20. I've heard the when are you going to paint it for longer than I can remember,my beater has been on the road for 30 years and it's got most of the paint that was applied in the 1960's, I see no reason to be rude and I have no intent of painting it

I try to be polite when I'm ask and my standard answer is ~ I'm saving up to have it painted,"Would you like to contribute?" :D

To this day no one has offered me a dime! HRP

21. williebill

williebill

Tsk Tsk Tsk.... don't be so sensitive..
    Civilians are so funny.... just laugh at them..

Deuces likes this.
  22. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Id say I had one but it blew off on the way in that morning.
    Good looking ride.
    Swing it over to wheat ridge lanes some Friday night for the cruise night and a free burger

23. I love an open engine bay, but I'm with Bob (37kid) on this one-

Because the PB has a long, flat inner cowl (along with many other DB and Plymouth cars of the era), the character line really gets lost- have you considered just running a hood top and leaving the sides off?

24. That's a good looking car and set up. I wouldn't knock it 'cause I like it. :rolleyes:

But for the public at large, they see a full fendered car with only the hood missing in action; it could be considered a fair question. Just be patient and tell 'em it's a style thing, personal to the car and outside the way Henry, or the Dodge Bros, or whoever, did it.

Being an ambassador (diplomat) of the hot rod world comes with ownership sometimes.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I originally was going to run without fenders or a hood entirely. I didn't like it, didn't look right on a 34 since the grille isn't in a shell and needs some body work to make it a piece of the car if you get where I'm coming from. I added a hood top only and really glad that I did as the car looks complete in my eye now.

I think for practically every car there is a different answer to the question. Yours looks just fine as-is although I do happen to have a 330 hemi that would look pretty cool in that bay. Then a hood wouldn't fit it all and the morons would have to stop asking.

26. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We were stoped for lunch and an elderly gent asked my wife if we were missing some parts?
    She quick as a flash says “No we have everything we need”
    7CD76669-7776-40E9-BA93-AEC92ABF5E86.jpeg

Stogy, Tim, catdad49 and 1 other person like this.
  27. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I think on a full fendered car, going without the hood is kind of pointless. As someone else pointed out above, the Plymouth design doesn't work as well without a hood as Ford.

I read somewhere the rules of a car club in the 50's, where their rules stated running around locally without a hood was fine, but when making a road trip it was expected that the members would install hoods. I took that to be a pretty common sentiment among hot rodders from the 50's.

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Personally that Dodge looks like it is missing something without a hood eas that ven though we all know you are proud of the engine. The Green 32 in post 27 carries off the "looks complete minus hood" thing pretty well though.
    Last time I got asked the "when you going to paint it" thing about the truck I pointed out a local truck at the show that had a 10K paint job put on it back 15 or so years ago and still looks just as slick today as it did then. Said when my truck is as straight as that one I'll paint it. The guy who owns the body shop were the body work and paint on the green one was done was standing in the group and gave me that nod that goes between guys that know. It may never honestly be that slick though.
    As far as open alligator hoods go, I am in the group that says gapping alligator hoods are ugly and break up the lines of the vehicle especially if it is a custom.. Friends of mine have a custom 51 Merc with one of the coolest flatheads anywhere but you seldom see it with the hood open unless you are at a flathead only meet. Then the engine being seen overrides smooth.

29. X-cpe

X-cpe

Q. -- What color are you going to paint it?

A. -- It is a color.