Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Car insulation suggestions. ..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by banditomerc, Jul 8, 2018.

1. banditomerc

banditomerc

What is the best bang for the buck insulation for the interior of my custom 1953..it's time to insulate, and I have looked at dynamat. ..what less expensive alternatives are there?

Attached Files:

2. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

I've used rattltrap . Half the cost and just the same as dynamatt .

3. One vendor on the Hamb sells a foil back type. He's in Spring Town Texas. Used on a couple in the roof. And floor on top of dyamat type insulation.

4. banditomerc

banditomerc

Where can I find rattletrap

gimpyshotrods likes this.

5. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    reagen likes this.
  6. evintho

evintho

What he said^^^^^^^
    Dirt cheap, insulates and quiets road noise well. No lingering smell at all. 4 years in my OT ride. No issues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

reagen likes this.
  7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Summit has a deal on "Cool-it" by Thermo-Tech. 33" x 60" rolls for $53.00 if you buy two or more...it's a peel and stick situation, close to an 1/8" thick ...!!! IMG_6463.JPG Once down, it's very hard to peel up. Personally, it's better than Dynamat and any of the others...I've used it in four of my cars and will continue to use it...you can also find it at speed equipment suppliers. IF drag racers use in on their firewalls to kill heat, you know it works...

R-

8. Best deal I found was on Amazon. 1/2 the price of Dynamat and it stretches a lot better without tearing. None of it tore on my Ford and I used a heat gun in tight spots.
    521-005.JPG

9. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

10. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Lobucrod on here sells some very good stuff. I tested it several years ago and was impressed. I like to use the foil backed with butyl on the floor and Lobucrods stuff on the rest. It is especially better suited to inside the top. It really does a great job of insulating.

AHotRod likes this.
  11. Primetime 45

Primetime 45

Ez Cool was my choice for my 51 F1 and couldn’t be more pleased. Purchased it from Lobucrod, an Alliance vendor.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

AHotRod and belair like this.
  12. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

On one of the car shows they used stick on HVAC duct insulation for a budget minded build. Didn’t seem like the worst idea.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. gene-koning

gene-koning

Does the self stick stuff work better then the spray glue stuff? The spray glue insulation in the roof of my coupe is starting to fall away, it doesn't like the sun shining and heating the metal and the glue is failing. This was the best 3M stuff properly installed. Its been there 5 years and just this year has started letting go. Guess I got 5 years out of the cheap route, I don't mind spending a little more, but if I spend more and it also falls down after 5 years, I won't be a happy camper.

I need to do a truck cab and it looks like I will get to redo the coupe. The floors are easy, the inside of the roof and under the body panels where gravity wants to pull it down is a different story. I want to hear how its sticking to the inside of the roof after 6 or 7 years, or more. Gene

14. Fatmat is a good cheaper alterantive to dynamat works just as good goes down the same.

How ever me personally my '56 will be getting sprayed with a layer of Lizard Skin and then sanded out some before spraying the interior body color. I want a oem look without the aftermarket insulators placed atop the painted bare metal floor under the seats.

15. If you read what Dynamat suggests, you'll put down a 2mm base mat and cover it with a 1/2" padding. Must sound-deaden well but will cost a mint to do.