Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Emergency Electric Fuel Pump Suggestions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobsmyuncle, Jul 7, 2018.

1. bobsmyuncle

bobsmyuncle
    from The Hammer

Hi guys. I know there are nearly limitless posts on fuel pumps but none really seem to cover my situation.

I'm looking for a good quality low pressure inline fuel pump for roadside repairs to throw in the spares kit.

If you care it is feeding a pair of Zenith carbs. This is a not a typical HAMB application ('67 Mercedes Fintail) but you guys are the single best informed collective on the 'net.

Thanks in advance, Jason

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

3. oldsman41

oldsman41

I believe carter makes a small elec pump still i had one on my model a about 4 inches long and 1 1/2 diameter google it. Also angle drive had a good one there from summit.

4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Angle drive nailed it. The facet style pump is sold under several different brand names, Mr Gasket , Purolator, Summit. They have a low pressure one, 3-4 psi, a standard 4-6 psi, a half round case or the original square cube style, you can't beat them for simplicity and easy to use. I have used the low pressure one on a riding lawnmower and a Kohler generator with success, and when the Carter on my 460 Ford powered motorhome crapped out, I put the one off the generator on in it's place and it kept up with the motor! I'm running a 12s or a 42s Mr Gasket, can't remember right now, on my Lincoln, it supplied the 350 just fine. One thing I like about them is they are quieter than a Holley or Carter vane style pump. Last one I bought off of eBay I think I paid something like $15 for it, new in the box.

5. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Mr. Gasket markets a cheap in-line fuel pump that might meet your needs. I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than a cheap and inexpensive spare to be used in an emergency though. I installed one in my car, and it failed after a short time, although I have one in my spare parts bag just in case. I replaced the original Mr. Gasket POS with an Edelbrock pump. that has been working fine. Yeah, the Edelbrock pump was more expensive, but that seems kinda irrelevant if you're stranded along the side of the road somewhere.:(

6. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

7. F&J

F&J

My Napa Facet started knocking and then quit pumping at a year old. Napa won't take it back as I can't find the receipt yet...but now I don't trust Facet anymore, so I will try the Carter that I just found out about at Advanced Auto last week.

I don't dare try another Facet, if one crapped out so soon. The Facet was to be only used to prime the carbs after sitting ...but the front mechanical let go due to the ethanol, so I did run the Facet for 6 months as a primary pump when it failed.

8. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

All the auto parts stores have reasonably price electric pumps, you will also need a filter, fuel hose. clamps, a way to block off the old mechanical pump. One thought is to install the pump in a location near the fuel tank, basically do everything except connect the line. The conditions for installing a pump are likely better in your garage, than some roadside situation.

9. 4woody

4woody

I'm using the red Edelbrock that looks similar to the Facet above https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-17301/overview/ and am happy so far. I was surprised how quiet it is, and they make low and very low pressure versions. Available at OReilly's etc at the same price as at Summit.[​IMG]

10. fraso

fraso

If you want to have an emergency fuel pump, you would be better off installing it instead of keeping it a spare in case your mechanical pump fails. It would also be useful to clear vapor lock after a hot soak. I would get a solenoid pump (like ones mentioned above) because a rotary vane pump doesn't flow-through and requires a bypass with a check valve.