Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help! Window won’t go up!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boryca, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Hi all, I’m having trouble with my truck. I can’t seem to get the window to go all the way up. Anyone have any thoughts on what I’m doin wrong? 35 Ford pickup. No idea if they ever worked, I took them out and am just now reinstalling. Seems to go down all the way though.

Seems like the window is cut right (and it’s close to the ones that came out) but it’s shifting rearward on the way up. Seems like something in the regulator.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

What about the other door.

3. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Ford windows of that time did move back a bit when they moved from fully closed to slightly opened. Thus was touted as a ventilation feature.

I seem to remember a similar problem when I did my 35 that was solved by slightly moving the glass forward as it’s mouted in the bottom channel.

Hope this helps.

4. It should shift forward at the top.

If in correctly, and all the way closed,,
    The window first moves rearward into the deep channel. That creates a vent hole at the font ,,, then the window comes down.

Rear of truck here Fromt of truck.
    Window movement

>>>> moves forward at the top.
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    Start from full down.

Reverse for opening
    <<<<
    V
    V
    V
    V
    Full open

5. dan31

dan31

If the glass is cut to the right height then is the rail that the glass sits in the correct part ?. Seems like it could only be glass height, glass rail or full cycle of regulator that could cause the problem.

6. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Haven't gotten there yet. Had a bunch of the old screws go missing, and it being the 4th, I can't replace 'em today. Tomorrow we shall see about the other door. :)

I don't think I can move the window forward at the bottom, actually. I have a couple different rails, and this set (original to these doors) have a guide feature on the rails, where though the window channel doesn't go full length, there is additional metal that makes the rails as a whole the exact same length as the window. I'll get a pic tomorrow.

Interesting. Seems it might be a regulator issue with the forward motion then. If I'm right, that's what the center stud in my last photo is for. The regulator has a 90* (or close to it) bend in the groove that I'm assuming it's not getting past, and which seems likely it's for that feature...

Yessir! Rail is original to the door, with slight repairs. I'm thinking regulator, but couldn't for the life of me figure out what feature! They're fairly simple pieces of machinery, after all. Might be that vent feature though...

7. Wrong lift channel for that side? How are the bushings (rollers)?

8. is the track and rollers well greased? And are the moving joints all oiled?

9. BJR

BJR

Is there a vertical piece of channel that would go in that roller guide in the center of the last picture missing?

10. Could it be the glass was cut too short?,have you measured both pieces of glass? HRP

11. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Thought about that for a while myself. They're the right ones per side. The "rollers" (if you can call them that, because they sure don't roll!) are in good shape as far as I can tell.

Yessir! Could probably use a little more in all honesty though.

No, that stud catches the channel built into the regulator. I'll have to get a pic of one removed, but there's a channel that catches on the way up as the regulator comes around, which allows for Ford's vent feature, I believe.

Doesn't seem like it is. I compared it to the glass that came out, and it's near as makes no difference. Definitely thinking it is catching on the regulator.

12. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Update - Left window closes! But it also doesn't operate correctly, as the regulator channel doesn't catch the center stud. I'm going to do a little experimenting, because it may be that channel that is keeping the right side from closing all the way...

13. Buckster

Buckster

I had a problem when I replaced my regulator with a repo. It turned out one screw was sticking out just far enough that one of the arms hit it & could not pass by it.

14. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

I'm hoping something like this is my problem. Been out of town all weekend, but this is the first thing I'm looking for today when I get out to the garage.

15. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Update for those who are interested: got a little time to look into the passenger window, and it seems like all it needed was a little more grease! It was getting stuck on the vent feature, which now works slick. I still have to figure out why the left side doesn't catch right, but that's a completely different problem...

16. Good good deal !

Boryca likes this.
  17. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I would be happier knowing SHE would go down. lol

Boryca likes this.
  18. No, it's better to find that out on your own.
    Hearing that and knowing she would go down before hand should alert you to plenty of stuff you'd probably rather not need to know about

spurgeonforge likes this.
  19. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

I may still have a couple of nos risers/regulators out in the shop. I may still have some repair rollers. If you need them let me know and I will dig.

20. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Hi Bill, if you've got some repair rollers, I'll take those off your hands! Mine are ok/ so-so for now, but I always like having spares for stuff like that.