Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Almost Funny - AWB Barracuda Funny Car Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Nov 27, 2017.

1. And controlled by how much air you have in the tire... genius!

loudbang likes this.
  2. Its going to look great driving down the street. This is a street and strip car everyone.

Stogy, brad2v, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  3. Looks awesome Jim, That hearing thing comes in handy every now and then, so I can see why the muffler plan. I could also totally understand radials with how the roads and drivers are now-a-days. Maybe some bottle rockets out the header tubes later for the 4th, great work !

loudbang likes this.
  4. St3v3

St3v3
    from Sweden

This swedish car had zoomies with a normal exhaust for street driving(you can see it in the picture). He had some kind of lid on it when driving on the street

[​IMG]

5. squirrel

squirrel

In the interest of saving weight, so I can go faster, I have no problem with removing the street exhaust system when I race. I'm used to it, on my other car.

6. Jim, Cone Engineering makes a flat 4-into-1 collector. All the primary tubes merge in a straight line:
    new1.jpg
    www.coneeng.com/collectors.html
    And Cone is an Alliance Vendor.:)

Or you could do flanged zoomies like Brian Bass did on the Gas Monkey Garage '34:
    GMG - Bass '34 5wd (6-9-2017 - headers).jpg GMG - Bass '34 5wd (6-15-2017 - exhaust fab).jpg GMG - Bass '34 5wd (6-15-2017 - exhaust).jpg linked_image(1).jpg

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  7. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Man Jim you have really outdone your self. This car is awesome!!

loudbang likes this.
  8. My buddy's car, I always liked his roof stripes Screenshot_20180705-000945_Photobucket.jpg

9. squirrel

squirrel

neat car for July 4th :) but not quite the look I'm after, roof stripes always looked too busy for my tastes.

10. carryallman

carryallman

jim car looks GREAT ! just wondering how the "hoosier" tires will work out ? i need to buy some tires for my anglia gasser -something to fit the 10" rims -BUT im not familiar with the compounds of there tires ?& what to buy ? antway keep at it ! mike

11. squirrel

squirrel

I guess I'll find out how they work

Been tinkering with the exhaust more, I got one side pretty much figured out. I have part of the other side done, too.

header03.jpg

HEMI32, kiwijeff, 62hotcat and 16 others like this.
  12. brad2v

brad2v

Jim, you da MAN!!!! I'm 20 odd years younger, I work at 1/4 your speed. I've shown this thread to a couple a dudes that ain't on here. All said "no way he's makin' September", I told 'em "yeah he will, I've seen this guy do this before" check this out https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/a-really-stupid-trip.990380/. Thanks for taking us along. Really. Good stuff

13. pigfluxer

pigfluxer

I like the idea of white as a base color, at that time if you were building a late model race car you ordered a body in white.

kiwijeff and loudbang like this.
  14. squirrel

squirrel

I had thought of that, too....

Got the headers both tacked together, they still need welding. And I need to make the funky collector, and the zoomie tips, but I'll probably put that off for a while.

header04.jpg

I started on the firewall, where the body needs to fit the new firewall which will be attached to the chassis. I'm going to make a flange around the front body opening, with sheet steel, for this. I started by putting a piece on either side, then I clamped a piece of angle across, which I can use to visualize where the edge of the new metal will end up. We'll see what happens.

body02.jpg

HEMI32, kiwijeff, Sancho and 15 others like this.
  15. These are side exhaust for a van(think 70's van). How about reversing the concept for your street exhaust?
    Using a conventional collector after the headers you already made shouldn't be as hard as trying to come up with something entirely new. s-l1600.jpg

HEMI32, loudbang and enloe like this.
  16. noboD

noboD

Not a bad idea for the reverse design. BUT, I would never admit to owning a system like that for a '70's van.

loudbang likes this.
  17. squirrel

squirrel

I have a plan for the collector, just haven't made it yet. It will be more simple than that!

18. I"m almost positive my Dad had this setup on his 72 GMC van. lol

Just Gary, Gammz and loudbang like this.
  19. squirrel

squirrel

working on the cowl....it's getting there.

body03.jpg

HEMI32, kiwijeff, chriseakin and 12 others like this.
  20. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I see a dual point.

Nice, speedy work Squirrel

squirrel likes this.
  21. How much recess will be in the firewall Jim ?

22. squirrel

squirrel

The firewall will be pretty much flat, although it will have a bend for the toeboard. The main part of it is moved back about 12" from stock location. But the seats are also moved back a ways, so there's sufficient legroom. The engine is so wide that it's kind of silly to try to make a recess for it to fit into!

23. Hey Jim, I just noticed you are running the same welder I have. The only trouble mine has had in 20+ years is the lugs on the three main capacitors get loose and arc at the connection. I try to check mine occasionally now. If you ever have to tighten them be sure to discharge them first.
    This project looks like a lot of fun!

loudbang likes this.
  24. squirrel

squirrel

thanks! I should probably look in there one day. Mine broke the wire spool plastic piece, I got a newer replacement that's stronger. And the plastic housing holding the trigger on the gun is cracked so it's kind of flaky, and they don't sell parts for it any more. One day I'll buy a better wire feed welder.

loudbang likes this.
  25. oldolds

oldolds

It looks like your lead attaches to the welder with the standard Euro style. Look on that auction site. You can buy a new lead and gun for less than $100. Many name brands to chose from. Your local welding supply will be more than $100

loudbang likes this.
  26. Guess I should have said set back rather than recess, got my answer though, a foot it is.

loudbang and squirrel like this.
  27. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

loudbang likes this.
  28. squirrel

squirrel

that gun is a newer design than mine.

29. rooman

rooman

Actually in manufacturer speak a "body in white" is either bare steel or primed.

Roo

brad2v and enloe like this.
  30. Oh yeah, you're right, my gun cracked and got flakey within a few years, but the Euro style connector was pretty common then and I got a lease return Tweco whip complete from a buddy at the welding supply I used for $20 or $30 bucks as I remember, and the consumables are way cheaper than that "D" or "R" something gun that came with the welder. I'd bet the "that auction site" advise above will get you happy again.