Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Welcome to Uncle Sam's Pie Eating Contest (USPEC)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Feb 12, 2018.

1. jimdillon

jimdillon

James if I tried to improve on it all I would do is screw it up (LOL). The car is what it is and I have fun with it and of course spectating at the best vintage race there is. Looking forward to seeing your car run though. You apparently have found the magic touch. Keep it up.

2. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went with Radir 7.75, put them on Friday night, never even drove them out of shop, two dry turns, on trailer. Reason I chose them was I wanted a tubeless, thought it might have s bigger foot print on track.

Oddly, I ran 30 psi in them.

My firestones take 2 dry turns to stick.

Sent from my SM-J320V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tickety Boo, jimdillon and loudbang like this.
  3. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Trying to find dragster Bob, had the cool it blue Ford roaster. And then vintage dragster with hem last year st MD. I gave a pair of carbs he wac interested in, and can bring to MD 2018.

loudbang likes this.
  4. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a pair of carbs, not gave...for him...

loudbang likes this.
  5. Hey guys, sorry I'm not getting my email alerts for some reason... So we learned a lot (first time and all!) and our format will be mostly the same as far as class breakdowns but as long as the tire size is period correct (let's not argue that) then it will be ok. We put tire restrictions on to try and keep things more period and also eliminate someone running a non period tire size hanging out of the wheel wells like a steam roller. They did that later in the 60's and 70's ... Long story short, tire size at the event really didn't make a hill of beans difference. Small blocks running 8" beat big blocks running wider tires etc etc. So... here's my opinion: If you want to be more correct, run the size closest to what your car would have ran in the early 60's. Don't worry about the 8, 8.5 etc etc. At the end of the day you will be running with someone who runs close to you in time. Personally, I'm going for the look and trying to be closer to what it was... I run 8" towel city on my Merc and while it wasn't running right, I couldn't hook up at all. I also didn't care and had a blast. So.... I am no expert and do not claim to be making any "GOSPEL" statements but here goes: Tire size on the original Super Stock cars was limited to 7". That only leaves the Radirs. Run them if ya want, they fit Novas and other tight wells great. But 8-8.5 would be correct also regardless of big or small block. If you have a SB gasser, have fun with the 8's, it's closer to what they ran. In fact, a lot of guys couldn't afford slicks back then and ran street tires! Ok, big block, blown, 9's (10's maybe) for safety. Now, typically what happens is people will automatically jump up to the widest tire... if you feel you need to, it's your car... but for what we are trying to do, the 7-9" should cover just about everyone... If you have a question about it or want to make sure you will be ok running a certain tire size, just ask before you buy. It's all about fun and putting on a good show. Sure, you can win a pie, bowling pin, and folding chairs... but I liked watching the racing... watching people trying to figure out how the hell to get off the line... Makes ya wonder how Dyno Don ran that Thunderbolt so fast in '64... There's a great read somewhere on the web about him talking about tire pressure changes to make it hook... Sorry to ramble... More to come... But in a nut shell, don't dwell on 8, 8.5,8.37568. We anticipate double the cars next year, and that's about where we would like to keep it... We like to have fun too! Brando

6. looking forward to next year already. Thanks to everyone involved in making this a success.

can't wait to run my 8.2's that I won this year

7. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was too much fun, liked the no prep, saved a lot of time fooling around with smoking tires...

8. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Working on carburetor today...change for MD #9

loudbang likes this.
  9. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got my dual intake back on. I can run 2 2bbls, or 2 edelbrock 4bbls .

loudbang and Tickety Boo like this.
  10. killer tire... I run a very similar one (but narrow) on the front of my Merc. What would you run that on?

Chucky, loudbang and GlassThamesDoug like this.
  11. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

To each his own...but there’s nothing better than a 60’s full-size on pie crusts...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

If ya look close at the Daddy Rabbit car...you can see it’s running as a match race car or A/FX in this pic. It has a 10” wide tire. This wasn’t legal in the stock class. MP and A/FX (not FX this is a separate designation)could run whatever fit in the stock wheel opening.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. Keep in mind a treaded tire rips up the starting line.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  14. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang likes this.
  15. Motor home tires? Somehow I get the feeling they would be a hard compound. I didn't see anything re: traction rating.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  16. slowmotion

slowmotion

Check out M&H, they got several styles. Never was a pie crust fan on a fullsize myself either.

[​IMG]
    BTW no affiliation (avatar aside):eek::D

17. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20180816_195630.jpeg

I have a set for the Cobra. Can't wait to try them out. But for the event in question here you have to have Crusts to enter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and enloe like this.