Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Anybody at Goodguys in Des Moines this Weekend?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crashfarmer, Jun 30, 2018.

1. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I'm thinking about running up there tomorrow. I'm looking forward to cruising around as I got new batteries in my handicapped scooter. Somebody asked if I was driving my 41 Chevy up but I cannot get it out of the garage until I fix the storm damaged door. Just look for a red Pride Victory Mobility scooter, that might be me. :)

2. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I have gone for years. This is the first time I've missed in many years. Cancer is kicking my ass, no energy, wouldn't be able to walk around in this heat. Always a must go trip for us. Not this year.
    SPark

3. alchemy

alchemy

You are coming up for Sunday? Over half the cars will be gone. And after the awards presentation, which lasts from 2:30 to 3:30, all the cars will be leaving. Should have been here on Friday or today.

4. dartracer

dartracer

I was there yesterday and today, heading home tomorrow, have to work Monday. It hot hot hot.

5. DosCoupe

DosCoupe

The woody wagon line up was way cool Three steel Willys drag cars within 30 yards. Lots of quality and survivor Deuces I enjoyed it but about two inches of rain Saturday night

Sent from my SM-J320V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

need pics - those of us that can not make to these events for one reason or another really appreciate pics being posted

Chucky and crashfarmer like this.
  7. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I'm sorry, I hope you get better. My Brother had cancer at 23 years old and survived, he is now 55 so he has been free of cancer for over 30 years. When he was on that chemo he got to looking like a 90 year old man at 23. Fight to win!

I have health issues also but fortunately not cancer. I do have mobility issues and walking around is quite painful. I have a cane with a seat on it and that's how I got around at Goodguy's last year. Now that I have a mobility scooter I'm looking forward to today.

I thought about going yesterday but my daughter is taking me today. :) We got hammered by Thursday's storm, a lot of damage at Mom's farm. I got lucky here, my farm didn't get it as bad but as my wife was leaving for work before 6 am this morning a big limb on a big maple tree out here crackled and fell to the ground. I suppose residual storm damage? I spent a lot of time Friday surveying the storm damage. At our other farm I'll need to cut up a big maple that fell across the driveway. I posted some videos of the storm damage on my Youtube channel, Grillin Randy

Supposed to be a lot cooler today.

Des Moines got hammered last night!!! My daughter and her boyfriend had been out at the fairgrounds where his Dad has a camper. They left to go home and found they couldn't get back to their apartment on the West side of Des Moines. I couldn't sleep until they got home about midnight last night. Awful! the flood gates are still closed on 63rd. One 65 year old man drowned when his minivan got stranded in the flood waters and he got swept away when he got out. :(

I'm bringing my video camera. I'll be posting some sort of videos on my Youtube channel, Grillin Randy. I'll also probably take a few pictures with my phone if I don't get so excited I forget. :)

8. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

We went yesterday. We were on the area on Friday but we in Roland visiting my brother. We left about 2 yesterday afternoon and drove home. There were over 4000 entries, a very nice show

9. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Was there Friday and Saturday. Had a great time. Saw a few fellow H.A.M.B.'rs
    The heat/ humidity was really high. ( normal for 4th of July time )

Last night the entire central Iowa area received a extensive amount of rain causing extensive flooding in areas.
    I had 9.7 " of rain in 3 hours.
    Fortunate the powered stayed on and the sump pump.....

Cooler and a few clouds this morning. I'll mosey on down a little later.

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Went Friday and while it was quite hot, there was a good breeze blowing that helped a great deal. I go most every year and love the venue. Lots of food/beverage vendors scattered around the grounds, variety of open areas, shaded grounds and vendor buildings. And, most importantly, lots of nice vehicles.

One thing I and my friends have noticed at events in the last year, most especially this year, at both NSRA and Goodguys, there are waaay fewer 'inappropriate' cars in attendance.

Ray

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    54delray likes this.
  11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I registered my car Friday at 2:00 and my number was 3990. Didn`t make it all the way thru the grounds, Daughter was with and it was Hot and humid. Seemed like we spent more time talking to people than looking at cars. At about 8:00 Saturday night we headed west on I 80 and hit heavy rains. At times we were going 30 miles an hour. and the speed limit was 70. I had never seen so many people driving with there flashers on.

vtx1800 and 54delray like this.
  12. lo-buk

lo-buk
    from kcmo

Our yellow 35 was videoed with water over the running boards on grand at the fairgrounds. We were lucky it fired up and drove away. We had a small amount of water inside the driver side.

13. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

So that was yours huh ? Right on the main Grand Avenue.
    Another guy showed me the picture of that Sunday.

14. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Made it there. Made it home. Luckily, parked at hotel Saturday night. Free car wash. Biggest Deuce Doings GG ever had. Lots of nice cars in the Midwest.

15. carryallman

carryallman

the wife & i worked the gate sat nite from 8 pm on - when the weather got bad -we got soaked !!! and & could not believe the amount of people kept asking if there was going to bee FIREWORKS ?? come on people there was a bad weather alert -also predictating hail & large amounts of rain & lots of nice nice cars were not heading for shelter or home ?????????? we had a elderly couple that have a nice restored 63 chevy impala that they loaned to a family friend -he decided to stay late & ended getting in parked in a bad spot & stayed in the car all nite - now this car has never seen rain or anything bad till this !! now i afraid it has water in places that will hurt it -in the future ! alot of idiots was there that nite ! finally the dm police showed up at the gate & told the wife & i to get the hell out of there as things was bad at all traffic intersections and streets flooded ! we drove to the intersection of e 30th & univ & if my carryall had been lowered id still be there swamped out!!! we drove next to the inner median to the south side of dm -heading to norwalk id swear some water was 2-3 ft deep in some of the street intersections - when we got to "army post rd " it looked like it had barely rained ?? anyway sunday was great & swear i seen more friends there that day than fri& sat ?? overall the show was great ,lots of handicap scooters ,i guess that shows how old us car freaks are getting ? now we will be going to the "melt down " maybe a couple other gasser shows

tractorguy likes this.
  16. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

We couldn't make it! My F350 Crew Cab with 3 foot lift kit and Chrome Drive Shaft was laid up cuz one of it's 44 inch tires wouldn't hold air and the wife's LTD with Gull Wing doors and Multi Colored Flake Paint job had a dead battery!! Remember when the Goodguys was a "Rod and Custom" Association... I personally think old Gary would roll over in his grave if he saw some of the shit that comes through the gate now a days and is considered Rods and Customs at His Goodguys events. Times change, I won't!!

17. Roadsir

Roadsir

I was there for two days and had the best time ever. The Fairgrounds has continued to add more buildings and facilities, more and better parking on the grounds, getting in and out wasn't bad at all even with 4000 cars. Sure pro touring and trucks are hot right now and supporting a ton of vendors.....That's fine, the traditional Hot Rodders have never been the majority and have stayed the course.

millelacsrick likes this.
  18. alchemy

alchemy

Amen Roadsir.

I did see a few 70's and 80's cars, but not near as many as I was expecting. If the ratio stays like this it will be just fine.

19. Gastrap

Gastrap
    from Tama, Iowa

Glad to hear that, I was expecting to hear of a thousand late models looking for a spot! It seems the only open areas left were around the barns and on the hill in the past. I had to skip this year for some repairs (to me).

20. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I'm sure the 70's 80's car attendance was low because the new 1987 cutoff it is not well known in that crowd. Give it a few years, then there will be more fox body Mustangs than the fairgrounds can handle. GG's may end up running out a bunch of the early car guys like NSRA did.

Rambling Rudy likes this.