Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Opinion on bed wood

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ramrod2624, Jul 2, 2018.

?
  1. Dark wood

10 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Light oak

15 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. 59Tele

59Tele

I'm sorry, I mistakenly thought the HAMB was a place to share information. My bad.

2. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have had a few old military trucks , clear white oak , seems to be the standard . Impe ( not sure of the spelling ) is by far the best you can get and it has super tight grain . Looks great when finished correctly . My finish is always boiled linseed oil . You scratch it you re oil the spot and keep on haul azz !

3. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Heart red cedar

5. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lean toward the lighter shade--Beautiful 41 !!!!!! Love the color and stance

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Use Ash. Get some pieces and play with different stains.

7. On my grandson's -59 Elky we used Tigerwood with catalyzed urethane clear coat. On my '53 Chevy I used Ipe (Ironwood) with a silica filled resin sealer. Both are tropical hardwoods used for decking so are available, relatively cheap, and extremely durable. The Ipe with a sealer looks a lot like American Walnut. Plus it has the same fire rating as concrete, so dense it sinks in water and is loaded with a yellow antibacterial, anti-weathering resin. Both woods are very hard and durable.

Test board size.jpg yellow dust.jpg P1010618.JPG P1010009.JPG P1010008.JPG

8. squirrel

squirrel

lmao...I guess I need to repaint my bed wood, it sat out in the sun too long over the decades.

bed.jpg

9. jkski

jkski

Southern Yellow Pine,has tight grain looks good with lite stain or just sealed.If maintained will last a long time,

squirrel likes this.
  10. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While you're making up your mind, here's some advice from someone who's built boats. Air dried Northern white oak is relatively inexpensive and has a very tight grain that will last practically forever. If looks are a concern, buy quarter sawn planks for the rays exposed in the faces.
    Flat sawn plank
    s will
    tend to curl on the edges while quarter sawn will not.
    Using a gel stain will give you a streak free color and a polyurethane varnish with an ultraviolet inhibitor will help keep your wood from changing color. Red oak has an open grain and is not normally used where water can get to it. Any of the exotics from S. America or Africa are photo-sensitive and will turn darker. The picture is of several pieces of one of my favorites call Padauk. If you look at the ends of the boards where some have stuck out of the stack more than others and at the light stripes going across the wide boards, you can see what I mean. The stripes are where I used sticker boards to allow air between the Padauk. The darker areas are the result of ultraviolet exposure and none of these boards were outside. I have used Marine Spar varnish with an ultraviolet inhibitor on pieces made from this wood and the wood will immediately turn from the natural reddish orange to a beautiful deep red. After exposure to the sun, the boards will turn from red to a deep brown. Ipe' is a good wood to use if you don't mind the dark color. It is used on decks and requires little care other than cleaning. Teak is another good wood but is very expensive. You can seal it if you wish but if not, leave it natural and it will turn a beautiful silver gray. What ever you decide, use stainless fasteners. Carbon steel discolors wood. DSCN2815.JPG

XXL__ and Shadow Creek like this.
  11. Drewski

Drewski

I had a big tree destroy a barn on my place and I salvaged the wood to use in the bed of my 55 F100. It's got some knots and rusty nail holes which my wife calls character The wood is all white oak and had been on the barn for probably 50 years. My wife did a contrasting stain on the divider strips and used stainless bolts to attach them. wood6.JPG wood13.JPG bed wood.JPG .

12. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

IMG_0749.JPG I like the dark wood with your color paint. I used cedar. Cheap, available, weathers well. Tung oil. Not that strong but this truck will haul nothing but ass!

Shadow Creek and XXL__ like this.
  13. zzford

zzford

14. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. 51 mercules

51 mercules

My friend worked at CF Transportation in the wood shop building trailers. I got some teak wood that had a reddish color for my truck bed. I'll check to see if I have any pic's. Not sure?

16. earlymopar

earlymopar

Your truck is so gorgeous. It could have most any type of bed and I'd look past it! You're a lucky guy!

- EM

ramrod2624 likes this.
  17. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

Color is a custom mix , was really hesitant to shoot it at first but once it layer on it looked good

18. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

Thanks!

19. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Having worked with wood over the years, one of the hardest wood is oak. Stained to match whatever you have is not a problem. Newly cut oak soaks up the stain well. Everything from a waterproof stain only to a hard shell finish from epoxy or polyurethane coatings is suggested. We had good and bad results from most of the typical coatings on various woods.

Here is the choice you have from this point.
    1. Do you want a shiny show car finish? Then use some form of epoxy or polyurethane coatings.

2. Or… oil if you are going to use it daily for hauling stuff in the back. (Only oil) The metal strips protect is a little if the object is flat, but what object is perfectly flat?

3. But the wood is exposed to the elements daily, so what about a waterproof decking coat of protection?

I just saw a cool Chevy pick up truck at a local big box home improvement store a few days ago. It had a nice wood insert in the back. It looked like dark stained oak. The bed also looked like it is a working truck and hauls a lot of stuff in the back.
    upload_2018-7-11_5-18-2.png
    The black metal strips looked outstanding !

Jnaki

The oak lined bed seems to be holding up quite well. I would have been pleased with the finish and detailing of this pick up bed. It looked to be a daily driver and had an affiliation with a local car club. It did have an “ACES” club plaque on the bumper.

20. Gerrys

Gerrys

21. For me I like seeing lighter toned wood with a dark colored truck and a darker toned wood with a light colored truck. My truck being a flareside with a wood bed (not hamb safe year wise) its a dark midnight metallic blue with argent silver two tone and I am looking at White Oak or Red Oak. If I go exotic I am leaning towards Tigerwood or South Africa Paduak.

In any case this is an excellent site they go way back selling wood bed kits pre cut to your vehicle.

http://bedwoodandparts.com/

22. ...mine's still holdin up...
    48 f4-2012 042.jpg

jazz1 likes this.