Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Thermostat modification

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sevenhills1952, Jul 3, 2018.

1. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

This is simple to do, but after having a few thermostats stick on old cars now I do this, which is I drill three holes 3/8" around the center so even if it sticks it flows. They make restrictors instead of thermostat but this to me works better especially in winter you still have heat. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With that large of holes you may as well just remove the guts of the thermostat and run the washer part. I've done that a lot with my 48 when I was towing a camp trailer with it in the summer. It still got up to a decent running temp and stayed at that temp the majority of the time. Not the greatest in mid winter when it was 20 degrees out and my heater wouldn't put out much heat though.

3. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

(3- drill holes on a 3/8 drill hole pattern)?

What diameter are the drill holes?

Preikster likes this.
  4. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I drill 2 1/8" holes in the thermostat of SBF's so I can eliminate the bypass, but multiple 3/8" holes seems excessive.

Hnstray, powrshftr and dan31 like this.

5. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Agreed...too big a bypass hole.
    1/8" has been the hole size to use for many years.
    And only one or two of'em.

Mike

clem, Cosmo49, dana barlow and 2 others like this.
  6. BJR

BJR

The one or two 1/8 " holes are used to let the air out so the stat doesn't air lock. It still lets the stat control the engine temp. I always use a working stat. No stat can cause excessive engine wear, if the engine never gets up to operating temp.

7. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Ran just the disc with guts out for years . As stated not so good on a cold day , you just have to determine the right size piece of trash cardboard for heat control ! My old Cummins has 2 giggle valves for better words with about 1/8 inch holes has worked like a champ for many many workin hard miles

8. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Doesn't drilling a hole, or holes, in a thermostat sort of defeat the purpose? If a hole was needed they would have included it.

Morrisman, Montana1 and seb fontana like this.
  9. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

It does defeat the purpose, but bad news when they don't open. I'm thinking maybe three 1/8th inch holes would be better.
    A new Chevy van I ordered years ago the stat stuck on way home from dealer with less than 50 miles on it. I knew later I'd have trouble. Sure enough heads were warped. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Have had them get "lazy", and not close when they get some miles on them, never had one stick open. That's a bad deal there for sure. Definitely not a part to cheap out on either. The 2 buck chuck import examples on the shelves these days especially.

11. dan31

dan31

I don't think a 1/8" hole will defeat the purpose of the overall function ,and it does work well. I can't swear to this but I think i remember seeing it on a stock thermostat somewhere.

Hnstray and Atwater Mike like this.
  12. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

"It does work well" ... works well for what though? So, Stant, and the rest of the industry, for the last hundred years or so has been making them wrong?

13. dan31

dan31

Seems that way

14. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

buy a FAIL SAFE type....if it fails it does it in the open position...

Montana1 and milwscruffy like this.
  15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

How do you figure that? If you drill a hole in a thermostat so small that it "won't defeat the purpose of the overall function"; how is this same hole large enough to prevent damage from overheating?

I thought the purpose of drilling a hole was something to do with coolant flushes and air pockets. It's my understanding thermostats already have a slight clearance or an engineered "hole" for this purpose. Like I said, they've been doing this for a hundred years, and nowhere in the manuals or "service literature" does it suggest we need to drill any holes. See where I'm goin' with that?

16. Drilling a hole , a little 1/16 hole changes it enough to throw a code on a late model. Code says warm up time excessive. You can get a t stat with a wiggler to let air bleed if you want to pay for it. T stats do stick but it's 99% of the time in a neglected cruddy ancient anti freeze or leaky coolant system. They have a wear schedule and do need changed.

Truck64 and Hnstray like this.
  17. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Been doing the one 1/8" hole for years and it works. In fact a couple of the more high end brands have a hole from the factory, some put a bent cotter pin in the hole.

egads likes this.
  18. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

No, you drill a bunch of holes in the thermostat because your radiator is clogged, or your electric fan doesn't come on.

19. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I take the thermostats out and leave them out.

clem and bobss396 like this.
  20. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

This ^^^^
    I run them on my race engines [Road Racing]

Montana1 and milwscruffy like this.
  21. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

"I've been doing it for years, with great success"; what does that even mean exactly? The home-trepanning people claimed the same thing. What is the problem we're trying to solve?

Near as I can tell from scrubbing the intertube search motor and the automotive forums there are only a couple different strategies or problems this is supposed to cure. The first seems to be running hot, or overheating. The OEM and stat makers go to a LOT of trouble to get those things engineered right. Thermostats set the minimum operating temperature, not the high side. Drilling holes should not be necessary.

The second one, trapped air bubbles and "burping" the coolant system, makes some sense. But -surprise-! the thermostat makers already thought of this and engineer a calibrated hole, or "jiggle" valve or other ways to accomplish this, and may not be apparent at a glance. Aftermarket thermostats may look different than OEM. That doesn't necessarily mean you need to bust out the Black & Decker. If air pockets are an issue why not crack a heater hose, or loosen the upper radiator hose and pre-fill there during a flush?

Another trick, that was apparently in a Ford TSB, was to jam open the thermostat with a piece of hard candy. This would allow for coolant flow long enough to purge any air bubbles, candy dissolves, thermostat works as normal. It does sound like the OEM used some kind of vacuum fill on the assembly line.

One thing amazing about reading the automotive forums is all the problems I never knew I had till someone 'splained it all.

milwscruffy likes this.
  22. Maybe I'm weird... I buy them and put them as is, no extra holes, nothin'. I always buy a name brand like Stant, think I have a Moroso one in my Ford.

23. egads

egads

You might not have noticed the hole? 5653525_cqs_14209_pri_larg.jpg

24. F.D. I was on years ago had a thermostat stuck closed on an ambulance. Took out a 454 and peeled the inlet side tank off the radiator.

25. The weight holds it open for air to escape
    Once it sees The water pressure, it's forced closed.
    Little bit more sophisticated than a hole, or 3 holes at 3/8"

egads likes this.
  26. I'm pretty sure I read this thread in detail but I didn't see a single poster mention the fact that some aftermarket intake manifolds do not have the option for the bypass hose to the water pump if you know what I mean. This little bypass keeps water flowing through the block and helps Purge air pockets and keep a stable temperature throughout the block. Without that little bypass there can be stagnating Flows in the block. I'm a Believer in the little holes in the thermostat just for the heck of it. In a really really cold conditions it would seem that you would want some flow during warm-up just to avoid a hotspot somewhere inside the block. But that's just me.

Correction correction correction I nearly forgot that it's my aftermarket water pump that does not have the bypass fitting on it not the intake manifold. Sorry I'm in a hurry and failed to edit that first paragraph. That's why I drilled 3 3/16 holes in my thermostat and it works just fine.

27. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Have had them get "lazy", and not close when they get some miles on them, never had one stick open."

Is there a difference between "not close" and "stick open"?

'49 Ford Coupe likes this.
  28. I wondered the same thing. .

29. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

;)

30. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

H.A.M.B proofreaders come through again! Yeah obviously I meant stuck closed.

The idea as I understand it is that the thermostat stays closed to aid in a fast engine warmup to normal operating temperature. The whole point of a thermostat is to keep the engine at a certain minimum temperature. Boils off sludge and crankcase condensation quicker, and reduces cylinder wear. Generally the engineering says the faster the engine reaches normal operating temperature, the better.

Once someone starts drilling holes in a thermostat, all the calibration and thought that went into that particular temp selection and flow rate just went out the window.

Doesn't the waterpump circulate coolant inside the engine during this time anyway? Drilling holes only slows warmup. If you have a 180° thermostat installed, and want to drill holes in it, then it's no longer a 180° thermostat. Why not just install a 170° thermostat?