Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods XO/PP Bonneville project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john mullen, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Just wanted to say thank you to Shelby Good Year in Law Vegas Nevada for there support of the Virginia H.A.M.B. Special XO/PP 640
    Bonneville project.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  2. Just 53 more days to 2018 Bonneville Speed Week. I can't begine to thank Doug Dwyer and all the sponsor support that he has brought forth for the XO/PP 640 Bonneville Project.
    I also want to thank all the Virginia H.A.M.B. social groupe Friends of the Virginia H.A.M.B. Special Bonneville Project for there support. I honestly could not have done this without all the people that have given so very much. Thank you one and all.
    I especially want to Thank My HEAPS Old Dominion car club brothers who have helped produce the project. Every day it seams like more people have asked what can I do to help I could not have written a story that would match this journey.
    I am humbled greatly by what has taken place and not to mention the new friends I have made from this. Project. Thank You everyone.
    John 1205172201_Burst01.jpg

3. Thank You out to sponsors of the XO/PP 640 Bonneville Project
    Optima Batterys
    K&N Filtets
    The Wheel Smith
    Auto Meter
    MSD/ Holley
    Painless Performance
    Meziere Enterprises
    Master Craft / Impact
    Techna-fit
    Shelby Good Year Racing Tires
    DENSO Spark plugs
    The Rodders Journal Magazine
    I appreciate all you guys have done for the Project.

4. Working on the ballast weights today. I have a friend who brought me two lead ingets 24"x4"x5" weighing over 150 lbs. Another friend loaned me 400 lbs. Of John Deer tractor weights he uses on his pulling tractor. Also my brother and I worked on installing traction bars to help stop rear spring wrap up.
    Photos tomorrow..

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John is the ballast just to see ride height and how suspension balances or is in to keep things grounded and not airborne at say 145 mph...;)?

6. Traction.

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow that's going to eat up some horsepower but its all factored in to the equation I suppose.

loudbang likes this.
  8. I am using ballast as follows, first I will have the truck on scales, one under each wheel. Add driver, all fluids and gear. then I will look at weight ratio front to rear. A 50 50 weight ratio would be ideal. Once the front to rear is done then I will look at the corner weights and try to balance them out with ballast. I hope to get the same weight on each rear tire and each steering tire side to side.. My goal is to use Ballast to improve traction and balance. I'm open to comments on this.

9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

John, in your class, what length course will you be running on? I would think that with a long course especially, weight isn't the factor that it is in drag or oval racing as faar as being a detriment.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I doubt that on the three mile course. With the horsepower and speed you will have, that weight is necessary. I took the weight out of my roadster when it went from E/BFR to G/GR. Your results may vary.

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

As a G/GR my roadster weighted 1650. There was 400 pounds of weight in it when Al ran it as a E/BFR. Al had a best exit speed of 219. I had a best of 142. How this applies to your pickup I'm not sure.

12. I got started on the weight bar today and started making some hood pin brackets 0619181654.jpg 0619181654b.jpg 0

13. The short course is 3 miles long +shutdown .
    I'm thinking that the biggest hurdle is overcoming the issue of pushing that big old brick through the wind. .it comes down to wind rezistance and the coefficient between the tire and the salt. The weight will improve the coefficient of the tire and have no effect on the frontal push through the wind.
    The average speed is calculated only through the last measured mile. 2 miles to get it up to speed for the last mile.

14. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

You and I are thinking alike on this, but I sure as the devil don't claim to have any real knowledge along these lines, just things I've read.
    Remember back when the late Mickey Thompson first brought the Challenger streamliner to B'vile HRM had a story about him and his efforts. And he suffered traction problems and looked in the area for lead for ballast, none to be found.
    Best I remember he somehow came upon a large bar of brass when he couldn't find any lead, and the bar was too long to fit in one piece where he wanted it, and all he had to cut it was a hacksaw!
    So to create a larger kerf, he put in 2 blades facing opposite directions so the saw would cut in both directions and sawed it in half, bolted it in somehow and went on to set records.
    But of course that was with 4 big Pontiac V8s, IIRC.

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

GoVirginiaSpecial.jpg

Positive Thoughts Your Way All...;)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  16. Thanks Stogy, We sure are going to try

17. 51 days to Bonneville, Really getting excited now.

John Heckman, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  18. Yep, let's hope the weather cooperates!
    Looking forward to meeting you guys and seeing the truck in person.
    Let me know if I can be of help in any way!

19. Setting the toe on the front end. 0622181350.jpg

20. Progress Report , anti sway bar installed, weight bar and weights installed, traction bats installed, hood pins installed... 0623181557.jpg 0623181539.jpg 0623181538.jpg 0623181518a.jpg 0623181513b.jpg 0623181514.jpg 0623181513c.jpg

21. Door glass and hardware installed today along with some paint and sanding. going over bolt and nut check on the entire truck Photos tomorrow

loudbang, D-Russ, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  22. Glass in, I started working on the cowel induction air supply box today

Attached Files:

catdad49, Stogy, saltflats and 3 others like this.
  23. Thanks Tom T And Earl Carmine for there top notch work on the hauler cabinets and tire rack.
    I have some very special friends to work in this oppressive heat and humidity getting things ready for the trip out west. Thanks guys you are appreciated so very much 0628181848a.jpg 0628181848.jpg 0628181847.jpg

24. Painted the white today, and will paint the red tomorrow.
    I blacked out the headlights for safety so no glass shattered if broken.
    I added safe straps and washers on the traction bars per rule book 0702181509.jpg 0702181508.jpg 0702181507.jpg

catdad49, loudbang, RMR&C and 3 others like this.
  25. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

26. Today's progress 0703181245b.jpg

kidcampbell71, Stogy, D-Russ and 5 others like this.
  27. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Looking better every day:cool:

chryslerfan55 and AmishMike like this.
  28. Thanks, getting close now

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  29. Today's report, hand rubbed and buffed lacquer paint 0706181217.jpg 0706181152.jpg 0706181151b.jpg 0706181151.jpg 0706181149a.jpg