Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 50 merc very hot inside while driving

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Burga1, Jul 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Burga1

Burga1

I just recently purchased a 50 merc and while driving very hot air is coming in the car. All the vents are closed and also the motor temp is good not over heating. Does anybody have some ideas for me before I pass out driving this thing

2. Well if it's hot there in Saskatoon like it is here, oh wait we don't know where you are because you never filled out your profile.

3. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Have you checked if the heater is on? I'm not kidding.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  4. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

What are you bitchin about, you wanted a HOT rod didn't you?

scrap metal 48, Truck64 and da34guy like this.

5. My 53 Chevy has a dealer installed heater, if I forget to close the heat hose valve I get hot air.

I also have one of these
    upload_2018-7-4_9-45-17.png

Deuces likes this.
  6. What engine? Does it have headers instead of exhaust manifolds? My Buick is way hotter with headers.

Ben

7. upspirate

upspirate

Close all places that wires,hoses etc go through the firewall.
    Insulate the firewall and floor.
    Door seals

RODIST likes this.
  8. oldsman41

oldsman41

Ok they ran the fresh air inlets through the engine compartment I’m sure you have seen them the air is real warm through them you have a inlet under the dash at front of the firewall both sides. Also take the carpet out and put sound heat insulation on the firewall and floor. It will help but it will still be warm. And you really need to intro.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  9. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you will shut off the heater hose running through the heater core it will make a big difference.

RODIST likes this.
  10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

is the dash warm to the touch? my old 49 Chevy was hot like that, the dash was even warm, even on cold days. I think a combination of headers, a V8 where a six was and the motor mounted low in the frame all contributed to not enough airflow through the engine compartment and hot air heated all the sheetmetal. mine even had the original firewall insulation.

I'm putting Lizard skin on my firewall and floor on the one I am fiddling with now.

11. I used a thick aftermarket firewall pad on my '59 Ford, best $75 I've ever spent. I also have Fat Mat padding on the entire floor. Make sure your heater cables are freed up and the doors are closing. On my car, the door seals keep some of the under-hood heat out. See if any heat is coming between the door and frame.

12. We have no way of knowing where you are,what engine is in the car but if it's like my car it's going to be hot in July.
    BTW,why do you have the vent's closed,they are there to provide fresh air. HRP

13. My Ford would not be drivable without the vents open. Did the Merc still have the cowl vent in 1950?

14. oldsman41

oldsman41

No cowl vent on the Merc that year. Mine is warm also and I’m still running the flattie. Insulation on fire wall and floor helps a lot but when its 100 degrees nothing helps but air conditioning

doug j and wvenfield like this.
  15. My '59 Ford is really hot inside when I'm moving slow. The vents move a lot of air through the interior and it is tolerable even on 95 degree days. I tend to drive the car more at night in the summer.

16. oldsman41

oldsman41

Yeah i like driving the Merc. I go out a lot around 7 pm and cruise until after dark.

17. Move to a colder climate.
    Or, seal the floor and insulate everything.

For all we know from your description the interior could be bare metal and you live in Death Valley.

18. ryno

ryno

RODIST likes this.
  19. I have Fat Mat on the floor, up under the dash, inside the roof. It helps keep some of the heat from coming through.

20. Terrible80

Terrible80

My OT pickup is bearable with all windows down if I'm moving, but a.c. has spoiled me and I'm looking at adding it.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. The OP still hasn't been back since he posted the first post in this thread!

22. Surprised?

23. southcross2631

southcross2631

People are so soft today. Of course it's hot in the car , it's summertime DUH. Turn off the water to the heater core and pull the vent cables and enjoy the ride or go buy a Toyota
    Prius and turn on the A/C .
    I drove my 51 Merc from Northern Michigan to Miami, Florida in 1967 in July and guess what it was hot back then too. I bought that Merc off a used car lot for $ 75.00 and put 4 new tires on it and put points ,plugs , condenser . Changed the oil and loaded everything I owned in it and hit the road.
    Every time I stopped for gas that old flathead would vapor lock and the overdrive cable was broken so it was stuck in overdrive so the only way you could push it off was in reverse.
    Got to Florida and traded even up for a 55 Belair 2 door post .

24. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Maybe he melted...

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I heard once @porknbeaner melted. That’s why he ain’t in a can anymore!

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just install AC.

Best of both worlds.