Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Austin, TX Junk Yard is crushing out

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PlumCrazyChris, Jul 3, 2018.

1. PlumCrazyChris

PlumCrazyChris
    from Austin, Tx

Hey guys, a long time collector/hoarder here in the Austin Area, was killed an accident last year. He has 36 acres filled with old cars he has collected, (mostly Mopar) two warehouses of NOS parts and tons of parts scattered about the place. Weird thing is the owner removed the wheels from most of the cars.... So bring a trailer and 4 wheels to fit the car you want.
    and unfortunately "friends" came after his death and loaded all of the loose wheels and sold them for scrap! Most of the cars were high option, rare cars. All of the hot rod era cars have disc brakes, this guy was picky. Several 1st gen hemi cars are out there and one generator. Lots of mopar big blocks/trannys out there. Many of the small blocks are gone.
    The heirs are not local and just want to sell the valuable land so there will be an auction and crush the rest. This place is unbelievable. It takes days to walk it and take it all in. Dozens of 40s and 50s trucks, mostly Dodges, some nice Chevys/GMCs, nearly all short bed stepsides. This guy never parted anything out or sold to the public.
    I've bought 4 cars out there myself, for near crusher prices.
    My friend is selling cars and parts for the owner on a part time basis, he has a full time job and a family, so he can't spend all his time out there, but his job is flexible and he's out there a lot. It is all secured with cameras otherwise. Nothing has been sold on the internet, and you'll have to show up when he's available to check it out.
    I hate to see these all get crushed, so if any of you are looking for a great project try to get out there before the crushing starts. I have a photo log I've created from the first couple of times I was out there.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/J9KKTJ0eM2xh4hsE2

Let me know if any of you are interested, and I'll try to set up a time to meet out there.

Chris

Stogy, Hnstray, spurgeonforge and 2 others like this.
  2. Shame about greed.

RoadFarmer likes this.
  3. Deuces

Deuces

4. Squablow

Squablow

Wow, lots of loose stuff, which is my favorite. Same type thing is playing out at a couple places local to me, I've been buying all I can for the past year already. I hope some local people can go in there and buy up a lot of the good stuff before it's gone, sounds like the selling prices are quite good, great opportunity to buy in and make some resale money.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hopefully the guys who have been wanting certain cars out of there get their chance and maybe some big Mopar resto shop picks up a bunch of it.

6. catdad49

catdad49

Chris, are you putting this out on any of the MoPar sites. Looks like a treasure trove of parts, but a real headache for the heirs (even under the best circumstances). With luck, some of it will be saved. Thanks for trying, Carp.

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

factory sunroof in a duster, that has to be a rare option. Im not a MOPAR guy but that roof warrants the cost of a saws all blade.

8. Austin Bubbletop

Austin Bubbletop
    from Austin, TX

Wow that's both sad and crazy to hear! I've been looking for a first vehicle/project for my son but my Mopar knowledge is squat.

9. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Liked the A-bodies

10. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Where are these places, Squablow?;)

11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Looks like several candidates for a Hemi Dart or Duster clone. Lots of useful parts for the Mopar guys.

12. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

When I first read your post I thought it might have a friend that has an Oldsmobile trove in a yard close to Austin. Glad it wasn't him but Mopar guys have an opportunity to dig in for cars or parts.

13. blacktopicasso

blacktopicasso

My father knew and sold this guy several cars about a year before the fatal accident. My brother and I contacted the sons and were put in touch with the property care taker. We went to the property last year and bought a few items at decent prices. Crazy story about property history. Tons of great vintage steel. I wanted the panel turned trailer and Chrysler Airflow. The guy was going to get prices but things got in my way. Also fell in love with a 57 Dodge Coronet 2dr hardtop Gold/White with factory floor stick and a 4dr parts car. Counted about 30+ 48-54 Dodge trucks. Saw a 48? Chrysler Convertible with a bunch of other vehicle parts piled on top of it.
    I had permission to take photos and took about 100. My interest where in the old stuff but a lot of 60's/70's mopars.
    Go and buy/save vintage tin if you get the chance.

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.