Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs What are you reading?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PostwarModernist, Jun 21, 2018.

1. PostwarModernist

PostwarModernist

What are the best magazines in your opinion worth checking out nowadays? Either digital or physical.

2. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Hop Up, Hot Rod Deluxe, Rodders Journal, Traditional Rod and Kulture to name a few...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  3. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HopUp, TRJ and mostly the HAMB . I don't use Facebook or Instagram.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  4. I have a lifetime subscription to The Rodders Journal and that's it. HRP

5. TRJ and occasionally I'll pick up a copy of Hot Rod Deluxe at the store.
    Have a sub to Hot Rod but it goes in the trash after I breeze through it...not really relevant to my tastes.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Deuces

Deuces

The H.A.M.B. and TV...... :)

7. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Kustoms Illustrated as well

8. Street Rodder, Rodders Journal, H.A.M.B, Hemmings, CarToons….

9. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Street Rodder is up and down, but I've been a subscriber since '84 so hard to let go.
    Been getting Rodder's Journal since day one, got 'em all and love it.
    Just got a sub to Hop Up and am very impressed. Too nice to call it a magazine.

10. I've been paring down. Used to have Hot Rod, Hot Rod Deluxe, Traditional Rod and Kulture, TRJ and Hop Up.

Now I'm down to just TRJ (lifetime member), Hop Up and Hot Rod Deluxe. I think Hot Rod Deluxe is going to drop off when my subscription ends late this year... I find they're starting to lose their way a little bit.
    I also don't have time to read the way I used to. But I'll subscribe to TRJ and Hop Up as long as they're in business.

11. The H.A.M.B.
    That's it.

czuch, Deuces and RMR&C like this.
  12. wvenfield

wvenfield

Pisses me off when a magazine gets physical.

13. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

14. 392

The H.A.M.B.

15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Better Bowel Movements, Prostate Health, whatever's in the waiting room. HAMB only for hot rods.

mike bowling and TagMan like this.
  16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Hop up and the occasional rodders journal

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just finished: Astrophysics for People In a Hurry.

About to start: Raven Rock: The Story of the U.S. Government's Secret Plan to Save Itself--While the Rest of Us Die.

kidcampbell71, clunker and Tim like this.
  18. mike bowling

mike bowling

You left out Golf Digest and Better Homes and Gardens. I save my old mags and sneak them in, but they disappear .

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

pitman likes this.
  19. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I keep buying car magazines from the 1940's through the 1960's
    If I want a accurate description of how hot rods were built in a certain era why not read about it when it was new.

20. I just like to look at tha pictures:confused: That's why I like da HAMB

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  21. “A generation of Sociopaths; How the Baby Boomers Betrayed America” by Bruce Cannon Gibney

For cars I lurk HAMB or troll CL window shopping

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    BAD ROD likes this.
  22. I am a avid reader & have always been interested in the time period of the Civil War and I ran across the name Colonel Albert Pope and his accounts of Antietam, Fredericksburg, and Vicksburg but what I found interesting was his later interest in transportation,especially bicycles,hence the Pope and later on his manufacturing of steam, electric and gasoline powered cars

The book is Colonel Albert Pope and his American Dream Machines : The life and times of a Bicycle tycoon turned automotive pioneer. by Stephen B Goddard. HRP

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is #3 on my current reading list.

24. das858

das858

I'm reading "The rise of Theodore Roosevelt " , just finished "The Great Bridge " the story of building the Brooklyn bridge . For car magazine's I read HotRod due to the fact I've had a subscription since 1970 , but it's hit and miss . Most of my car reading is on the HAMB .

25. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Jimmy Stewart, bomber pilot. Detailing his military career.
    Also, Behind the rising sun. That one's written by a news man 1930, 1942.
    Cars, H.A.M.B.

26. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda

27. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Lifetimer of TRJ, and Kustoms Illustrated. Sad to see Traditional Kustoms go by the wayside. I'll get Street Rodder, just for event coverage, when I can get 3 years of it for less than 20$.

28. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Having read those small Rod & Custom mags from an early age, we were influenced by those features, customs, hot rods, drag racers, etc. Then, the larger hot rod mags came along to add to those readings. Luckily, my dad would take us for a ride in his Buicks to his local liquor store that had a multi-level, long, magazine rack.

While he was buying his stuff, newspapers, liquor, cigs, bread, chips, etc. we were over at the racks reading Hot Rod and R&C. Then, of course, other mags were right next to our car mags that we had to check out.

But over the years, subscriptions to a ton of mags hit the spot. We could have started a used book/magazine store with all of our collections. “Throw them away,” was my mom’s idea of a clean house. We started putting them in order on a wall book shelf. We wanted them close by our desks.

But, one day, they were all gone. Those valuable magazines were replaced by a set of white, hard cover, World Book Encyclopedia set (including a couple of matching index books) that took up one whole section of the shelf.
    upload_2018-7-16_3-21-26.png
    After high school, the World Books got moved over, away from my desk, replaced by college text books and stuff.

Jnaki

So what became of those early hot rod mags? They went out to the “Rumpus Room” in a bunch of cardboard boxes. The area was next to all other car stuff at one end of the recreation room. Boxes full of old car mags…gathering dust, went on for a long time. Sometimes, we would go out to the Rumpus Room and sit back reading a ton of old car mags. If we were gone long enough, with the doors/windows open, that was a signal for our mom to bring out great sandwiches and Cokes for a teenage snack.

Recently, I have started to read magazine articles again, but not in a physical form. The online versions still have some good displays of cars and tech stuff. The old style, flexible magazines have turned into slightly larger complex coffee table versions of hot rod history.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-history-of-los-angeles.446547/page-115#post-12484729

But, every time I walk past the latest book in my book basket on Lions Drag Racing History, I open it up to gaze at the art drawings, photos, and incredible history. It is written by John Glaspey in his book, “So Cal Thunder.” There is something new each time. Since Lions has been closed for quite some time, this relives history again and again.

“So Cal Thunder” book by John Glaspey
    upload_2018-7-16_3-25-10.png
    “This book is written by an enthusiast who "was there, when it happened". His name is John Glaspey. The book is over 300 pages and features 270 photographs by Roy Robinson and Don Hale, many of which have never been seen before. It is simply OUTSTANDING!”

About my Willys C/Gas Coupe: conversation with John“Waldo” Glaspey

…He gave me a recollection of a then, 19 year old college art student, sitting in the crowded stands all day, watching the racing down on the track. The story he told me created shivers down my back and arms. It was a first hand look at our racing, winning and final run late at night. The description he gave was one of being a “fan favorite” as we kept winning race after race until 9 p.m. at night.

John Glaspey described the clutch blowing right in front of his “spectator side” seats and a clear view of the flaming Willys wedged into the spectator side fence, burning itself out. He probably saw me using several fire extinguishers down below, to no avail. Then, watching me zipping off to the ambulance back at the finish line.

A great read and nice coffee table book, check it out… Thanks, John…

The copyrighted art work is fabulous:

upload_2018-7-16_3-25-53.png
    As are the original photos by Don Hale and Roy Robinson.
    upload_2018-7-16_3-26-24.png upload_2018-7-16_3-26-38.png
    There were even some great photos of the late, Tom McEwen in his early days. Attitude, style and all...
    upload_2018-7-16_3-27-53.png upload_2018-7-16_3-28-7.png

29. Anything by Tim Dorsey
    Florida native, his books kind of flow together Serge .A.Storms and his buddy Colman , getting into all kinds of shenanigans.
    His books really are laugh out loud well written modern masterpieces.

Exerts
    “We couldn’t go over 30mph as the deer we hit bent the right front rim and the vibrations made Colman drop his bong.”

“And he ran off into the forest wearing a nasa space suit with monkeys chasing him”

“Where’s Susie? Oh she’s in the back parking lot giving truckers reach around for 20 bucks, we need gas money”