Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Boy! I never seen that before!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, Feb 23, 2018.

1. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

I actually like that one. pretty clever solution, too bad they didn't come up with a cover that didn't leak.

Edit: Forgot to add the quote. I'm referring to the oil filter bypass solution.

Clay Belt likes this.
  2. I was on summer break from school and had a fresh driver's license. My dad never opened a hood to fix anything on a car but he was a wonder at fixing anything else. So anyway, he had a beater that was overheating, had to go to work but he had a boy (me) he could put to use. He left me the task of driving the beater to a repair shop about 8 miles away. My instructions were to drive until it got close to pegging the temp gauge, then pull over, shut it off and wait for it to cool down. I could get about a half mile, which I did a couple of times. I started doing the math and began to realize that I'd get to the shop nearer to closing time. I figured that if I ran the car up to about 20 over the posted limit, I could use the speed to my advantage and squeeze another 1/8 mile out of each stint. That saved me a couple hours and I rolled into the shop in the early afternoon. They were expecting me and fixed the issue while I waited.

I learned a lot in a backhanded manner about what not to do with cars from my dad's neglect of them. I began to resolve that I was going to be a "car guy" someday.

chryslerfan55, Clay Belt and Montana1 like this.
  3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

310D3F87-7A60-4330-AB79-BCD64482D25C.jpeg A89EA542-6115-4656-BC1E-695341144223.jpeg D9D718A0-3E35-471A-9C5E-988574D552F8.jpeg I started this thread based mainly on past experiences, well today, what I saw tops it all. This guy really wanted to get to the lake to visit his family. His truck broke down on I 40 and he pulled this rig 70 miles to get here. Look at the pics, I rest my case!!

Bones

slv63, Montana1, Truck64 and 2 others like this.
  4. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

75A0B9A9-808D-4EC5-98EE-E2D6854F014E.jpeg Ok, I forgot, here’s his back up vehile!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. I swapped a 383 Chrysler and four speed transmission into a 54 Chevy Bel Air circa 1970. The driveshaft was a 63 Dodge Polara and a 55 Chevy welded together. My friend and I took the shafts to another friend's shop, he was a plumber. We used his pipe cutter. By dumb luck the Dodge shaft was a slip fit into the Chevy. We then rechecked my measurements by bolting the shaft in the car and marking where we needed to weld it. Arc welded a bead while rotating the shaft in the car. It worked, no vibration probably due to dumb luck........

Montana1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. You've got the epitome of stupidity right there.

chryslerfan55 and Clay Belt like this.
  7. dan31

dan31

Boneyard,that picture can't be real. Everbody knows that you have to open the trunk and bungee cord the trailer to the spare tire mount,it's the only way it will work.

Boneyard51 and Montana1 like this.
  8. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

You know it!

But here’s what scares me..... I think he’s going to take it back to OKC, after the Holidays! .......

Bones

chryslerfan55 and dan31 like this.
  9. Weedburner

Weedburner
    from Wa State

Back in 1977 I was in AZ and bought a $100 '61 Falcon a couple weeks before returning to WA state. The day before I left for the return trip, the Falcon's engine ended up with a hole in a piston. I backed off the offending cyl's intake rocker, bought a case of oil, and set off on the 1500mi trip back home leaving a long trail of blue smoke. Went thru the entire 24qt case of oil and had to buy a couple more qts before I reached home.

When I got back to my dad's shop, I pulled the engine for inspection and decided that I just needed a new piston/rings for that hole. Went to the auto parts store and bought a piston for the 144 and went back and installed it. Bolted the head back on and went about adjusting the valves and to my surprise, the engine locked up when I turned it over. Turns out the engine was a 170 instead of a 144 and that piston was hitting the head! After some thought, I removed the head, took out the angle grinder, and turned that flat top 144 piston into a pop-up 170 piston without even removing it from the engine. Ran that engine that way for a few months, until I finished the 283 that I swapped in to replace it.

Grant

Montana1 likes this.
  10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Update!!! He did try to take it home to OKC. The cops were waiting on him to hit the streets, pulled him over, took him to jail!!! Seems like he had some outstanding warrants.

You just can’t fix stupid.

Bones

dogwalkin and 56don like this.
  11. Glad they removed him from the thoroughfare before that mess came loose and killed someone.

Boneyard51 likes this.