Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest It is in great sadness BOB Klessig

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff J, Jun 24, 2018.

1. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Hell of a guy. Rest in Peace. Thanks, Bob, for showing us how this is supposed to be done. I hope I can live up to your example.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  2. Jeff J

Jeff J

Services for Bob are at Bradley Funeral home in ANTIGO,Wi. Thursday visitation is 4 to 7 The Elks lodge sorrow service Thursday at 7:00pm. Friday service from 1 to 2 pm at the funeral home. Thank you all from myself and the Klessig family !

3. phat rat

phat rat

From left to right Bob, Charlie Chops, Slocro and Purple Pickup

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Jeff J

Jeff J

Thanks Ryan for the banner for Bob he would of loved it as I’m sure he is looking over us !

5. Scott

Scott

Godspeed Bob, you are one of the good ones

Stogy likes this.

6. I was at a car show and a boy looked up to his father and said... When I grow up I want to be BobK!!! And the father looked at his son and said... son... You can't do both.. !

See y'all Friday God willing...

chryslerfan55, drdave, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  7. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

I never met him, but I enjoyed his posts.

RIP.

-Woog

8. Jeff J

Jeff J

Washing Bob’s cars today at his house for visitation tonight at the funeral home

chryslerfan55, drdave, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I bet that’s a tough one. Wouldn’t need to fill the bucket with water. I’m afraid there would be enough tears to handle that.

10. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Seeing this picture reminds me of the time he posted a picture of a similar shot from behind with his hairy body in frame. Someone asked him why he was wearing a sweater... (may have been FlatheadPete who asked?)

Bob laughed along with us. :) Damn I'm gonna miss him...

11. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

^^ Haha! Yeah, that was me.

Stogy likes this.
  12. RIP Bob Klessig . I first talked with Bob on the HAMB for awhile. When he was looking for places of interest to see on his and Maggie's road trip on HWY 2. I told him to stop by. He and Maggie did. We talked like old friends even tho we just officially met. We talked cars of course, and he said I had some neat chit. Coming from him that was a great compliment. We met up again at Back to the Fifties , and talked on the phone about his old gas station as I was building one too. His was quite the guy. Bob will be missed. Condolences and prayers for Bob and Maggie. Sincerely Steve and Barb on HWY 2

chryslerfan55, Thor1 and Stogy like this.
  13. I met Bob for the first time at Kurt McCormick's house in St Louis years ago. We were both there to admire all the Barris cars. Then Bob popped up at my shop in Austin on the LSRU garage crawl one year. I'd run into him at various shops in LA and even saw him at the Race of Gentlemen one year. He always had a big hello, huge smile and hug when we saw each other. He was the hot rodders hot rodder. I'll miss seeing him on the road.

14. Lil32

Lil32

Prayers to Family
    R.I.P. Bob K

Stogy likes this.
  15. RCTimB

RCTimB

RIP Bob. Like many many others, I am honored to have known you.

Stogy likes this.
  16. spudz

spudz

Rip Bob....

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. I met Bob via Clark Bates who is an East Coast Brother at Autorama Detroit and broke bread with Bob a few times via Clark, Billy Towers, Junior et al. Immediately I recognized Bob's wit, sharp sense of humor and you couldn't help but love the charming Garden Gnome! Bob was beloved by thousands of people in the car hobby and we all should endeavor to live a life so full and welcoming of others. This image is from the 2017 Millers at Milwaukee event while he was having his coupe pinstriped by a talented Creative from Harley-Davidson Design-his name escapes me. I was so happy to see him, chat with him and knowing he had been battling health issues, I asked if we could take a few pictures together-I'm glad I did. You will be missed and never forgotten Bob. Bob K 2.jpg

18. We miss you Bob

19. The name you are looking for is Ray Drea.

Stogy likes this.
  20. reagen

reagen

21. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It’s been 4 years.
    Definitely miss my buddy Bob.

22. Hard to believe that it's already been four years since ol' Bob cruised through the pearly gates. I think about that crazy road warrior quite a bit, especially in the summertime. The unmistakable sound of his inline powered Chevy ragtop will stay with me for the rest of my life. I close my eyes and I can still see Bob blasting down the road with that straight six just singing!
    I needed a box for the trunk of my off topic Mercury to keep things like spare quarts of motor oil, power steering fluid and other miscellaneous things from sliding around all over the trunk while I'm out and about in the car. I've grown tired of opening the trunk and the quarts of fluids and other things are thrown all over the trunk.
    I decided to make the box out of scrap wood I had lying around as I wanted this to be a budget friendly little project. I built the box, then added a center divider so it would hold things more securely than one big open space. I painted the inside flat black to protect the wood from unsightly stains and so the bare wood wouldn't jump out at you in the trunk, and then I added some old scrap gray carpet I had to the bottom of the box for a more finished look. You can see I had to section the carpet on the panel floor on the lower left side. I didn't have one single piece of carpet that was wide enough, so I had to use two pieces. Once the box has junk in it no one will see it anyway. Like I said, a budget friendly project just using what I already had.

oil box 5.jpg

After it was built I had to figure out how to get it to look ok in the trunk and not just be an old wooden box. I thought about paint, then upholstery, but I didn't want it to drag out into a long, hour eating project. I decided to go through my big notebook that is over stuffed with decals and stickers I've collected over the years, and pick out some to cover the box. I've always loved "Big Daddy" Roth and his style of artwork, and I've been collecting that style of sticker for a long time. I also found some other stickers that had some sentimental attachment as well, so they went in the oil box sticker pile.
    After trying to figure out a sticker alignment trying to get it just perfect I finally just dove in and put the stickers wherever I thought they looked ok. Some overlapped and some went over the edges of the box so I just cut them off. After I got them all stuck on the box, I had to figure out how to try and protect them from the weather--cold temps, heat, humidity, etc. I decided to cover them with Mod Podge and see how it holds up. I've never used it for something that would be outside before, but I figured since it was going to be in a trunk instead of directly outdoors it would be ok.
    For a little more flash on the stickers, I decided to get into my box of metalflake and see what I could come up with. I used some rare flake that my good friend and fellow Metalflake Misfit @PasoJohn sent me that he got from another fellow Misfit Paul Barker from Australia. After the first coat of Mod Podge was applied, I was going to add the flake while it was still wet. I wasn't sure how to spread it evenly without making a huge mess and wasting the flake, so I dipped a plastic spoon straight down in the flake and then gently tapped the spoon and it sprinkled the flake on just like I needed to. After the Mod Podge dried, I continued to add coat after coat of the Podge. According to the directions I could wet sand it after five coats. I did, and then decided to do it again. Five more coats then wet sand. I lost count, but I think I did a total of fifteen coats and three wet sands. My fast, budget friendly project did turn out to be budget friendly, but this crazy little box took me the better part of a week of evenings. The real time eater was having to wait for each coat of the Podge to dry before the next, and then having to wait 24 hours for the fifth coat to cry before wet sanding.
    After it was all Podged and wet sanded, I had to get the Mod Podge clear acrylic sealer. I was afraid to use anything else because it might cause a weird reaction like wrinkling, bubbling, runs, etc. so I bought the Mod Podge brand. Ten bucks for a can of that stuff. I thought that was a little high, but better to be safe than sorry. I went ahead and laid down about five coats of the clear following the directions on the can. After letting it dry for a few days it's pretty much ready to put in the car. I haven't got to that yet as the weather has been a little soggy the last few days, but it's ready to put in the trunk and bolt down.
    All that being said, I thought I would share my pictures of the box with everyone. Some of you with very sharp eyes will realize that I only shot pictures of three sides. That's because one side of the box will be right up against the trunk wall. I didn't want to put stickers on a panel that would never been seen, so I saved my cherished stickers that I was going to put on that side for some other project.
    Sorry the pictures aren't the best as I took them with my phone down in my dark basement where I did the work. I tried to capture the flake, but it's hard down in the basement. It's been cloudy here the last few days so I haven't been able to take the box outside for a better pic. It has a lot of flake, believe me.
    Many of these stickers have a sentimental reason for being on the box. Some were given to me by good friends, many of which have since passed away. Some were purchased on road trips, and many I bought just because I liked them. I know that some of them aren't real Roth stickers and were done by some of Roth's art buddies over the years, and others may be Chinese knockoffs, I don't know for sure. I just bought what I liked. My apologies to any artist differences with pirates or shady companies or people who copy the stickers.
    One of the main stickers I had to put on the box was a "What Would Bob K Do?" sticker that was sent to me by @Squablow courtesy of @PBRmeASAP. Thanks guys!
    Many of us out here still think of Bob, and as long as we do, he will always with us. Have a great Sunday y'all.........E

oil box 4.jpg

oil box 2.jpg

oil box 3.jpg

oil box 1.jpg

23. atch

atch

I still have a couple of "What would Bob K do?" stickers. If anyone wants one message me with your address.

We sure do miss Bob and always will.

OG lil E, PBRmeASAP and Tim like this.
  24. 4 years.....
    I dont know what to say, miss him and happy to call him a friend

what would Bob K do...... that constintley pops in my head
    FLT-BLK Tyler is the one that gets credit for it. Night before the funeral, him and Rocket were heading up from Chicago to Milwaukee to meet up with me to head to the funeral. was supposed to be hotter than hell and humid as could be. Both of them were going to roll up in there model A pickups. I tried to explain why we should take a late model up and enjoy AC, which Tyler asked me "What would Bob K do?" Only thing I could do was get off the phone and get a few things done to the car to prepair for a HOT ride. We were all sweaty when we rolled in and I gotta thank Tyler for that push, because he was right.
    Next week is the hugh swap meet in Iola WI, one of the places I always know I'd run into Bob.....I know he wont be there, but i'll still keep an eye out for him.....waiting to hear him yell....."Jeffrey what the hell are you doing!"

427 sleeper, raven, Squablow and 4 others like this.