Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot, hot, hot

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by louisb, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Stinking blue-bottles, We lived across the road from Tootgarook beach ( Vic ) and as a kid in the early 1960s i collected them in a bucket . Can,t remember who i gave them to but there was a 10 cent bounty each on them. Something to do with their poison if i remember correctly. Must have been 1963 when Australia went to decimal currency.

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  2. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

I needed to fix a electrical connection on my 56 truck starter that left me stranded this weekend at a cruise in today. I thought it would take about half hour. So I started about 6 am. Well it took about 4 hours after going to the parts store twice ( you know those quick jobs that turn into not so quick). Summer in Tennessee can be brutally hot/humid. I was totally wet when I finished. I actually lost 2 pounds, Who needs a gym membership! Just get a hot rod. Its to #%@ hot.

chryslerfan55, louisb and Deuces like this.
  3. Mike

Mike

Here in Phoenix, 105 degrees or higher is common. I work on my heaps outside in a carport, I take a break every hour or so to drink lots of water and sit down and eat a few Otter Pops. The Otter Pops bring your core temperature down quickly (could do the same with ice cubes, popsicles, etc.). Staying hydrated and getting your core temperature down are the keys in coping with working in high heat.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  4. I used to bail out of the stock car after a 30 or 50 lapper in July... my pee looked closer to coffee than anything. I would drop between 7 and 9 lbs in a few hours, fire suit was dripping. One guy I raced with actually poured sweat out of his boot. I had a stick-on thermometer in the car, it went up to 140 and I knew it was hotter than that. One night, got done racing and peeled the fire suit off, drank 4 beers in less than 3 minutes. Not wise but at the time it felt good.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. I see this all the time at the gym. Me, I wear as little as possible. Usually a wicking sleeveless shirt so I stay somewhat dry. People work out in hooded sweat shirts, wear jackets too. They must have no blood.

6. Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  7. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

A little sticky in the Hobby Shop today.
    20180703_154014_resized.jpg

8. Deuces

Deuces

That sux!......

9. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

It so hot here the crack heads are putting the copper back in the A/C units.

10. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

It was 95 degrees and high humidity in SOUTH jersey today ( whole different world than north jersey incidentally!) and I'll tell you guys right now ...I would rather sweat than shiver !!

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

be sure to hit Phoenix car B-B-Q Show, July 4th, 1015 Grand Ave - thread with more info on here

12. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

heat stress and heat stroke are no joke that's for sure. when you stop sweating its too late. I live in south Louisiana, this time of the year I usually work at night. get started around 7 or 8 pm and work till midnight or so. usually you get a good breeze going at night.

louisb likes this.
  13. How hot can it be :cool:, you figure it out. All about cooling off at the right moment.
    Kroc 1.jpg

exterminator, chryslerfan55 and pat59 like this.
  14. I definitely got too hot the past week too many days in a row. But my flower beds and veggie garden look mint, got the pool sorted out. Took in a cruise night last night and it rained a few drops on us, felt great.

15. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Dew point.
    Another term we didn't have growing up.
    Weather nerd on the news said today temps will be in the mid 90's with dew points of 75-78 and a heat index of 105.
    So it will be hot and sticky.
    Going back to my weather rock and common sense approach to being outside.
    Hydrate hydrate hydrate with periods of inactivity.

16. I remember hearing people saying they are up to their arse with alligators but thought it was figuratively not literally. HRP

17. donno

donno

I live in 'Vegas and had to go to Mexico last week. On the way home from Yuma, a train had the tracks blocked just West of Needles on 95 N. There were 2 big rigs parked off the road, with room for me in between in the shade. Only 106, so I put down the window's and took a nap for an hour and a half. I carry LOTS of water on these trips, can never be too carefull.

chryslerfan55, topher5150 and Deuces like this.
  18. The key for me was to use 6" walls on my garage and insulate to the max. Not only does it keep heat in, in the winter, but after this past week in the 92-94 range, the garage is at 73 degrees inside and comfy. Lots of ice cold water in the fridge also.

19. My little garage is shaded by a huge pin oak tree. It's high 90s today with heat index of 105-110 but my garage is about 80 degrees 'till 6 pm when it gets hot from the sun going down, putting sunlight under the tree branches on my block wall...west wall. Got some good shit done today on my car.

20. Same here! Garage nice and cool & well insulated.

chryslerfan55, milwscruffy and Deuces like this.
  21. Deuces

Deuces

90° in Motown...... :(:rolleyes: acttemp_1280x720 (1).jpg

22. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I can't deal with the heat and humidity like I could when I was 30. Now that I'm almost 70 I don't work near as long in the garage. It was over 90 the past 2 days then its supposed to be cooler for a couple of days then 95 and higher for next week

23. Deuces

Deuces

We're all suffering from this mess...... :(

24. 1530785699808-1352997776.jpg 6:30 am. It will be a few hours before the heat hits. Just enough time to extract the blown up 12 bolt from the El. Ring gear spacers suck.

*Edit - trying to show the haze.

25. Funny when you cannot wait for it to rain... was a hellish 98 yesterday on the Island. Was at the beach on the 4th.. water was over 75 easily and had a tropical green color to it.

26. topher5150

topher5150

27. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

We need it to rain, so the humidity will go down, ha ha.

28. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

8:38 and its 80° and Hoomid; going to get in the 90's..Saw 100° yesterday..In my garage its 74° and 60% humidity..These long runs of over 90° will slowly raise the temp to over 70° but if outside stays under 90° garage will stay under 70°..If I work too fast [I try not to!] I may have to turn the ac on for a bit..

29. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

It got so hot here I fell for this again! Canadian-Stereotypes-6.jpg

30. Mike

Mike

I posted that thread about the BBQ, and yes, I was there, along with a whole bunch of other folks.